Official Review: The Court of Capricorn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Court of Capricorn

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Court of Capricorn" by Christopher Range.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Ladies and Gentlemen. I would like to thank you for joining us on our final performance. I know, I know, it has been fun. And it seems as if we only just met, but we cannot tarry any longer, for the road of wander and wonder calls us all back again.” And so, Gemini, the entertainer and the Messenger of the Twelve, opens up the dramatic comedy play that runs through The Court of Capricorn. Buckle up — because this theater script, written by Christopher Range, will come to life before your eyes as the characters enchantingly perform. The plot, along with these imaginary actors, will shake your emotions, boost your creative thinking, question your beliefs, and stimulate your intellect.

Twelve characters — four brothers symbolizing the four cardinal directions and the four elements (Earth, Water, Air, and Fire), four sons, and four representatives — are invited by Capricorn, the Lord of the Southern Realm of Earth, to the mountain where he built “a magnificent garden” to unify all four corners of the world and to celebrate the coming of age of his adopted daughter, Virgo, who is a reflection of perfection. It’s been a long time since they all gathered in one place. While the excitement of everyone seems to highlight the joy of reunion, old animosities arise too. Will they be able to cope with the extremely different personalities and create a new unified world where each of the four princes and their followers lives in harmony and understanding?

The Court of Capricorn is a meld of twelve genres, aspects, and themes. One of my favorite aspects of the book was the author’s writing style of leaving description and details to blossom freely in the reader’s imagination. The mind’s eye easily fills in the backstory of the theatrical play: a story that shifts its shape from religion to technology, from magical to mythology, from spirituality to comedy, from politics to justice, and to astrology.

I could “read” the characters through the dynamic dialogue. Their different perspectives traversed from Cancer, the Countess of the Eastern Realm of Water, and her warm feelings of a protective mother to the stubborn, impatient, fiery personality of Aries, the Warlord of the West. Pisces, the teacher and wise one, offered delightful musings about the human condition.

Dramatic intrigue was another virtue of the book. It’s almost impossible not to relate to at least one of the characters and transport yourself on the stage, performing as if you’re the main actor who has his or her own grand moment. The hilarious, defiant attitude of Gemini, the Joker, then quickly tosses you back into a spectator role as his comedic banter breaks the serious or suspenseful mood.

References to the challenging and shifting current time might put your intellect on trial. Capricorn’s viewpoint about some life truths was thought-provoking. Libra, the Lady of Liberty, seems to speak to a New Age generation and to those seekers who believe in a better world where human behavior is motivated by compassion, peace, and prosperity for all.

If you relate to any of the above themes, read the book. If you love to let your imagination roam freely, read this story. An open-minded book aficionado will also enjoy this read. Fans of satirical plays and humor enthusiasts, happy reading! Playwrights looking for inspiration might enjoy Range’s writing rhythm, layout, stage directions, and even the introduction of the cast prior to the commencement of the play. A handful of words that might be considered profanity are easily overlooked. The book seemed well-edited, and the presentation made the reading experience easy-to-follow while the dialogue flowed naturally. Four out of four stars are earned by Christopher Range’s book, The Court of Capricorn.

The Court of Capricorn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

What an original concept, I don’t think I ever came across anything like it. Sound very fresh, original and fun to read. Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it!
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What a fascinating book! It's going on my "to read" list right now. Thanks for a great review. :D
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Your description of this book is compelling. I’ll be adding it to my Want to Read shelf immediately! Thank you for such a great review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The themes of magic to mythology, spirituality to comedy, politics to justice played out on different layers makes this book an intriguing read. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Wow! What a glowing review! :) I had to add it to my shelf before I am even commenting :) It has been a while since I got my hands on a theatre script :) Thank you for such an inviting review! :)
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The theme of the book seems vibrant and full of characters. Maybe I can spare some time to read it.
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Olgamiell wrote: ↑28 Jun 2020, 03:34 What an original concept, I don’t think I ever came across anything like it. Sound very fresh, original and fun to read. Thank you for your review, I enjoyed reading it!
I couldn't agree more, Olgamiell. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Juliet+1 wrote: ↑28 Jun 2020, 16:25 What a fascinating book! It's going on my "to read" list right now. Thanks for a great review. :D
Thanks for stopping by, Juliet. Happy reading!đź“–
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Topsey wrote: ↑28 Jun 2020, 17:36 Your description of this book is compelling. I’ll be adding it to my Want to Read shelf immediately! Thank you for such a great review.
Thank you for your kind words, Topsey. I hope you'll enjoy the read as much as I did.
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Usma Khann wrote: ↑29 Jun 2020, 06:07 The themes of magic to mythology, spirituality to comedy, politics to justice played out on different layers makes this book an intriguing read. Appreciate the review.🌸
Thanks, Usma. It's a worthwhile read if it falls in your preferred genre. I hope you'll give it a try.
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

LinaJan wrote: ↑30 Jun 2020, 10:11 Wow! What a glowing review! :) I had to add it to my shelf before I am even commenting :) It has been a while since I got my hands on a theatre script :) Thank you for such an inviting review! :)
I deeply appreciate your stimulating feedback. Thank you, Lina. Please, feel free to come back and share your reading experience. I would love to exchange opinions. :)
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Priyanka2304 wrote: ↑02 Jul 2020, 21:49 The theme of the book seems vibrant and full of characters. Maybe I can spare some time to read it.
I hope you do. I'm positive that it won't disappoint you. Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
~Tayma Tameem
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a really exceptional read! Those characters representing elements and the houses of horoscope must be something special. :) Thank you for a great review!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Anti-Diet Approach
Bookshelf Size: 2396
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by MarĂ­a Andrea Fernández SepĂşlveda »

I'm a fiery Aries!
What an interesting approach to the different personalities and nuances in human nature. It's very hard to analyze theater but you nailed it. Thank you!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”