Review by Mrunalpatki -- The Judge part 1 and 2

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Review by Mrunalpatki -- The Judge part 1 and 2

Post by Mrunalpatki »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Judge part 1 and 2" by Ian RB Morris.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Ritchie, the central character, is a lawyer trying to work himself up to the who’s who in the legal business. Faced with failure in his recent case, Peter is unaware that his life is about to take a U-turn when he is called upon to identify the body of one of his clients, Bobby Black, a prostitute. Against his better judgment and the wishes of his new illustrious client, he is hell-bent on getting to the bottom of the mystery of Bobby’s death. Will he succeed in meting out justice, or will he perish? Will he ever be able to get back to his normal life after getting his longtime girlfriend almost killed?

Ian Morris has scored on the front of character development. Every character has been developed in detail without making it annoying for the reader. Character development is vital to a crime plot to understand why an individual behaves the way he does. This book scores perfect in that department.

You will get so wrapped up in the story that you will be made to sidetrack the obvious. Is the victim really who we are made to believe? I kept second-guessing as to who the real killer might be. But all my guesses were trashed in the end.

Although The Judge Part 1 and 2 is an excellent crime/mystery/thriller genre novel, I have complaints to the author. On page 224, he points out that women belonging to the Hindu religion are dedicated to families and do not have careers. I'm afraid I have to disagree.

Also, I found quite a few punctuation errors with missing ending quotes, question marks, and incorrect capitalization. I did find three grammatical errors as well. I think a round of thorough editing could fix this.

In addition to that, I found the book lengthy. You have to go through 478 pages and two novels, Part 1 and 2, to finally get to the killer. I think the author could get rid of some unnecessary pages like describing Naomi’s best friend and her lunch date or a one-page description of the house at the Grange. It made the narrative tedious. I wanted to get on with the story.

For the reasons mentioned above, I cannot give this book a perfect rating. I give it 3 out of 4 stars. A shorter book with ideal editing, and it would be a flawless thriller novel for me.

Crime and mystery fans must read this one. But those sensitive to homoerotic content and content related to prostitution should not go for this book. Also, the content is for a mature audience with gross murders, and sexual content, so children should not read this book.

A typical mystery read, sure to keep readers turning the pages. Happy Reading!

The Judge part 1 and 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Detailed and comprehensive review. Well done! Thanks for being specific about the length of the book, I may have to pass this one. Mystery novels can be a bit of a challenge for authors to try to make it even more suspenseful and thrilling, but he might have overdone it with putting unnecessary pages or snippets.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

jennydelacruz wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 03:25 Detailed and comprehensive review. Well done! Thanks for being specific about the length of the book, I may have to pass this one. Mystery novels can be a bit of a challenge for authors to try to make it even more suspenseful and thrilling, but he might have overdone it with putting unnecessary pages or snippets.
I did feel a bit overwhelmed initially with the length. And I agree mystery authors do have a challenge. Nevertheless it was a good change for me. Thanks for sharing your feedback. :)
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Here's an honest review, thank you. I love mystery and thriller novels, but I may have to pass. Books with fillers tire me out. If it's not necessary to the plot, why expand on it? And the thing about Hindu women? Color me shocked! Thank you for a beautiful review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

This book is sure to take you on a roller coaster ride and keep you guessing till the end. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Great review! I enjoyed reading this book, it’s quite interesting.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Incredible review! This book sounds like a nice crime story. Not my type of genre. Thanks for this great review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Adanna Inya wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 04:00 Here's an honest review, thank you. I love mystery and thriller novels, but I may have to pass. Books with fillers tire me out. If it's not necessary to the plot, why expand on it? And the thing about Hindu women? Color me shocked! Thank you for a beautiful review.
Thank you for stopping by and putting up your thoughts. :)
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Usma Khann wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 04:27 This book is sure to take you on a roller coaster ride and keep you guessing till the end. Appreciate the review.🌸
Thanks for the comments. Hope you enjoy the book.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 05:41 Great review! I enjoyed reading this book, it’s quite interesting.
Thanks for stopping by.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

J_odoyo wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 07:18 Incredible review! This book sounds like a nice crime story. Not my type of genre. Thanks for this great review.
It is a nice book. Thanks for the appreciation.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I take issue with the drawbacks that you pointed it out - especially the stereotypical opinion that the author expressed regarding Hindu women - but the plot is too tempting not to add onto my shelf :)

Thank you for such a thorough review :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This does seem like quite a long book, at least for me. I don't think I'd enjoy it for that reason. I did enjoy your review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

LinaJan wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 09:49 I take issue with the drawbacks that you pointed it out - especially the stereotypical opinion that the author expressed regarding Hindu women - but the plot is too tempting not to add onto my shelf :)

Thank you for such a thorough review :)
Thank you for your thoughts. Enjoy the book :)
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:

Post by Mrunalpatki »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 19:28 This does seem like quite a long book, at least for me. I don't think I'd enjoy it for that reason. I did enjoy your review, though. Thanks.
Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”