Official Review: The Immortal Tree by Scott Devon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Official Review: The Immortal Tree by Scott Devon

Post by evraealtana »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Immortal Tree" by Scott Devon.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Immortal Tree, written by Scott Devon, is a fantasy novel regarding the Tree of Life, the dragons that protect it, the origins of humankind, and the darker side of human nature.

At the beginning of time, there is an immortal tree, the Tree of Life, which sits amidst a perfect, splendid garden and gives life to all things. The Dragon King, keeper of the Tree of Life and of all the animals of the earth, is called to assist the world’s first human woman as she undergoes a difficult labor. The King gives her fruit from the Tree of Life, which allows the woman, Lilith, to successfully produce a living son. In her gratitude, she promises the Dragon King to help him in whatever way he should require at any point in the future. Little does she know what horrors would be unleashed by her acceptance of the fruit and what violent consequences would result, years later, from her naïve promise. The Tree of Life, along with its miraculous fruit, is a prize worth dying for, and Lilith’s descendants set out to prove that no good deed goes unpunished as they attempt to claim it for themselves. The Dragon King, now older and wiser, is reluctantly set at odds with the human race he loves and must find a way to protect all the creatures under his care, even if it threatens his own life.

Throughout the text, anachronisms abound. A vase is described as Venetian in style, despite Venice having never been founded. Within 50 years of the invention of the wheel, both bombs and guns are invented and then immediately used in warfare. The Dragon King once appears wearing a tailcoat, a style of clothing that didn’t exist until the 1850s. With these and many other out-of-place details, it is difficult to imagine where or when the events might be occurring. The epilogue attempts to tie together the fractured timeline, but it doesn’t do so convincingly, making the story seem disjointed and thrown together.

The ending of the book left many loose ends untied. Several scenes had the opportunity to present a clear lesson for the reader to take away, but were instead left meaningless by their melodrama and lack of definite resolution. The most notable “hole”, in my opinion, is that one of the would-be major characters is introduced and discussed at great length, a conflict in that character’s life is revealed, and then the character is almost never mentioned again. I was surprised that the author would have left so many aspects of the story unresolved. It felt to me like this was a first draft: promising, but not ready to be released.

Corroborating this impression was the rough state of the writing itself. It was evident to me that the book has not undergone any professional editorial work whatsoever. Egregious errors, including incomplete sentences, typos yielding nonsense, and the changing of characters’ names part-way through, were present in abundance. This alone makes the novel not yet fit to publish.

The writing style, with its short, clipped sentences and blunt descriptions, makes the book read like a children’s novel. Do not be fooled, however; the content is definitely of a mature nature. While there is no overt profanity and very little graphic depiction of sex, there is great violence, as well as kidnapping, mentions of rape, physical and emotional abuse, drug usage, and incest. It is unclear to me, then, for whom the author intended this book in the first place.

The Immortal Tree earns a score of 1 out of 4 for its poor execution of what could otherwise have been an interesting concept. Due to its many mistakes, I cannot in good conscience recommend the book to any reader in its current state. A thorough editing would earn it a score of 2, but it would not merit a higher score than that because of its plot holes, vague messages, and unclear audience.

The Immortal Tree
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I don't envy you as having to dissect a novel like you did is not fun. A complete rewrite might be the only possible solution. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
MwachiaJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwachiaj.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by MwachiaJ »

A thorough review indeed. I loved how honest your review is.
Jeff101
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeff101.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by Jeff101 »

Thanks for your review, the idea of this book seems so good it is sad it wasn’t executed well.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

It's always frustrating whenever a novel is disjointed and seems half baked. I'm sorry you had to go through that. But thanks for your honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Appreciate the honest review. It's a shame though, that such a delicate idea couldn't be well moulded by the author.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Yere123
Currently Reading: Shantaram
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnwagu1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Yere123 »

It is never easy to give antagonistic comments but if they are all true, many would appreciate the review you have done.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thank you for your honesty and for wading through what must have been a trying novel. The concept has been overdone, in my opinion. The serpent and the tree have been the underpinnings of many a poor concept.
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Anachronisms for no reason are so frustrating! Thank you for the review.
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The anachronisms are definitely an issue here. While there are many instances where they can work, the story has to have a good reason for it, or it has to be incorporated naturally. It just seems like the author decided to slap a bunch of unrelated elements together to form the story. That sucks because I like this premise.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
OB Brian
Currently Reading: Shame Off You
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ob-brian.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventure by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by OB Brian »

Brilliant work with the review. The typographical and grammatical errors, plus the disconnected timeline are disconcerting.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I have been reading dragon based novels frequently these days. Through the review, I feel like adding this book to my bookshelf.
evraealtana
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

NetMassimo wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 04:51 I don't envy you as having to dissect a novel like you did is not fun. A complete rewrite might be the only possible solution. Thank you for your honest review!
Unfortunately, I think you might be right about that. This has potential, but is nowhere near ready yet. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

MwachiaJ wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 16:02 A thorough review indeed. I loved how honest your review is.
Thank you very much :)
evraealtana

Post by evraealtana »

Jeff101 wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 18:56 Thanks for your review, the idea of this book seems so good it is sad it wasn’t executed well.
I agree; I had such high hopes for it. Thanks for stopping by :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”