Official Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Official Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Jsovermyer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening" by JD Schmith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Are you afraid of thunder and lightning? When they hear the loud boom of thunder, many children are terrified. They don’t comprehend what is happening. Thunder and Lightning, They’re Not So Frightening by JD Schmith is an excellent children’s book that explains the science behind storms so that even kids can understand.

The little boy in the book is named William. He becomes frightened on seeing the approaching storm from his bedroom window. When he cries out, Daddy comes to hold him. Daddy explains what makes thunder and lightning. William is no longer anxious and can fall asleep. It is a good bedtime story to read, especially on a stormy night.

What I liked best about this book is its intelligent description of thunder and lightning. It doesn’t make up a fantasy story to explain these features of nature. When I was a child, I was told rain was angels’ tears, and thunder was the sound of angels bowling in heaven. This book doesn’t concoct a silly story like that. In just twelve pages, it tells the truth about thunder and lightning using simple scientific terms. Children are smart. I believe when they understand what is happening during a storm, they feel more in control of their environment and will be more at ease.

The illustrations in this story are colorful and beautiful. The little boy and his father look like real people. Children will be able to relate to the people in the pictures. I like the town the little boy can see from his window. As night approaches, he can see the house lights coming on. It paints a peaceful and serene scene.

The simple language used should make this book easy for beginner readers. Younger children will love hearing this read-aloud, especially if they get to snuggle on your lap as William does with Daddy. As an adult, I liked it too. There is no profanity or slang used. There is no violence or sex. This book is appropriate for all children. I found no grammatical or spelling errors and believe the book has been professionally edited.

This book does an excellent job of explaining thunder and lightning. All kids need this information. I didn’t find anything I disliked about the book. I am awarding Thunder and Lightning, They’re Not So Frightening by JD Schmith with four out of four stars. For parents, it can sometimes be hard to answer all of the questions kids can ask. This book will help.

Moderator's Note: This book is best for little children to be enjoyed in the paperback version.

Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
carnation+99
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by carnation+99 »

well before i went through the review in my mind there was that though of "this might be one of those story books whereby they write fiction stories" but from the review i actually found out that its not , i love it and would love to read this book for children ,as i was growing up i also used to get different stories on how thunder and lighting starts.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I appreciate the author’s simple approach in explaining the mechanism behind thunder and lightning. I too was told silly stories about thunder and lightning. It’s a relief the author comes armed with facts only.
I must say though, the title seemed very intriguing at first glance.

Thank you for the warm review.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

To begin with, as I delved into your review, I thought that this book wasn't for me. But having read on, I am really pleased to see that the author chose to explain things for what they really are rather than just entertain kids' imagination. I bet I could learn a thing or two about the thunder and lightening myself! :)

Thank you for such a detailed review :)
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Wow, a book that explains the phenomena of thunder and lightning to kids. This must be an interesting read. Thanks for the review. Great job.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Sexy_thickthick_mom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Sexy_thickthick_mom »

I really like this book about thunder and lightening. i really love the fatherly bond with the child and i love how the father explain to his son about the thunder and lightening, and let the child can sleep peacefully again.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

As a scientist, I love the fact that the author explains the real science to children. Often things are frightening because we don't understand them - but once we have a few facts, things are not so frightening after all. Thank you for the detailed and honest review!
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Thanks for your detailed and honest review! The book seems to be really informative. Even though I’m not a kid, I think I will enjoy reading this one.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This seems like a fantastic book to read to children. Your review was very informative since I thought this book was one of stories rather than facts.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Seems like a fun read with educational themes lying in its background. Hope it proves beneficial to the targeted audience. Appreciate the thorough review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

As I started reading the review, I thought it was going to be a book of fantasies but as I read on, I have seen how informative this book could be and I can’t wait to read it
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I really liked the way the stories were narrated. The author has done a wonderful job. Thanks for the review.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Children are smart. It’s never too early to introduce them to science in a way they can understand. This sounds like a marvelous book. Great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Jenlopez066
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jenlopez066 »

I truly agree that helping our kids understand what nature truly is, is way better than making up fantasy silly stories, we help them learn and understand the world a little bit more!! 🤗❤️
Chinelookeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinelookeke.html
Latest Review: Fear Me Now by Christopher Williams

Post by Chinelookeke »

It is an amazing story. Good to know that the author could think of writing this story. I know it is really going to help calm children and get that fright out of them. JD Schmith did write an amazing story. Thanks for thinking about little kids. Thanks Jsovermyer for your nice review.

Return to “Children's Books”