Review by Christieee -- Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Review by Christieee -- Wonks by William Reese Hamilton

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wonks" by William Reese Hamilton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War changes people. It destroys lives and uproots routines. In Wonks, by William Reese Hamilton, we get to find out just how far the damage goes. The author draws inspiration from his own experience at Santo Tomas Internment Camp during World War II to write the story of young Johnny Oldfield and his adventures with his family and friends in the prison camp.

Johnny recounts his experience from the age of twelve when he and his mother are previously taken as prisoners to the Santo Tomas Camp in the Philippines. He progressed to introduce some people that he met and their different personalities, which made camp an exciting place, filled not only with tales of survival, but also stories of malice, backbiting, and even reconciliation. Johnny takes an almost comical style in narrating the horrors of the prison camp as he tells us what it is like being a teenager growing up in such circumstances and how difficult it can get. While on this awful ride, Johnny finds a brother in Polecat, and together, they have exhilarating adventures that make life brighter and more enjoyable. But with starvation, torture, and their friends getting either executed or taken to different camps, how long can they remain happy? While all these are taking place, Johnny’s father is nowhere to be found. Will he ever be found?

The author takes a light and almost comical tone in narrating horrific experiences of war and imprisonment, so, where I should have been sad and depressed, I was excited for the next adventure of Johnny and Polecat. The story is also narrated in the first-person narrative. This made it easy to understand Johnny’s thoughts, while, at the same time, laughing out loud to his hilarious innuendos. I especially liked that even when I could see the terrible things happening, there were still many things to laugh and be happy about. Several places in the Philippines were mentioned, and this was an educating experience for me because I did not previously know them. The author also shows a strong family bond and how important it is for the family to remain together through even “the worst hell.” Something that stuck with me was the insinuation that we find our most authentic self in the harshest conditions.

While the latter part of this text was commendably engaging and exhilarating, the beginning dragged on for too long, including unnecessary conversations and recounted stories by other characters. Running on the first chapter alone, I felt this book deserved a one-star rating. However, this perception changed later on. Another thing I disliked was the author’s writing style. He employed an overly informal writing style, with the use of too many short forms that I found challenging to keep up with, and even though I eventually got used to it, I would have preferred a more straightforward and more understandable writing style from the get-go. Also, the story contained too many characters that it was confusing to remember everyone. Because of this quality of the text, I felt that there wasn’t much room for proper character development for most of the characters.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the latter part of this piece, owing to my complaints, I have decided to rate it 3 out of 4 stars. The book seemed professionally edited since I only found an error. However, if the author can improve his writing style and remove the unnecessary bits, I think this book will be 4-star material. This piece contains profanity and derogatory terms, so it will not appeal to sensitive people. It contains minimal kissing scenes. I recommend this book to adults who are interested in war stories.

Wonks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

With starvation, torture, and their friends getting either executed or taken to different camps, how long can Johnny and Polecat remain happy? This is an interesting question that is sure to pique the interest of readers. Thanks for this brilliant review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It takes a talented author to find the balance between humor or lightness and serious subjects like war. It sounds like the author has done a fairly good job. War is something that we need to remember. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

The psychological horror of warfare is enough to drastically change a person. Thanks for the great review!
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Looks like the author has poured his soul and experience in composing this book. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

War is never a good thing. It'll be interesting to witness things from the eyes of the author.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

It will be nice reading about the author's war experience and how it changed him. Thanks for the insightful review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I'm glad the author was able to weave events into the novel that kept it from being too depressing. It sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks for your well-written and informative review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Hhmmm... Judging by the review, I like the plot. But I do not know how I could deal with the writing style that you describe as I am a bit of a geek when it comes to 'smart' language. I shall add this to my shelf, you never know :)

Thank you for such a thorough and frank review! :)
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP

kandscreeley wrote: ↑29 Jun 2020, 18:54 It takes a talented author to find the balance between humor or lightness and serious subjects like war. It sounds like the author has done a fairly good job. War is something that we need to remember. Thanks.
Indeed it does. The author took on a brave task and came out victorious indeed.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP

Howlan wrote: ↑29 Jun 2020, 21:28 The psychological horror of warfare is enough to drastically change a person. Thanks for the great review!
Yes, war is always disastrous.

Thanks for stopping by.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP

LinaJan wrote: ↑30 Jun 2020, 11:54 Hhmmm... Judging by the review, I like the plot. But I do not know how I could deal with the writing style that you describe as I am a bit of a geek when it comes to 'smart' language. I shall add this to my shelf, you never know :)

Thank you for such a thorough and frank review! :)
Haha! I understand your sentiment since I too can be a bit of a geek in the same matter. But you may be able to get used to it.

Thank you for stopping by.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

War does change and uproot people's lives. I am glad the author centered the book around these experiences. You wrote a very insightful, well written, and informative review - great job!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

This was a very professional review! Your first paragraph in particular really drew me in. Excellent job!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It is amazing how, even under these harsh conditions, a closed society takes on its own personality. I admire the author's ability to inject humor into this story. This book seems to present a unique perspective about war and internment camps. I enjoyed your review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”