Official Review: Gatekeeper by Alexandria Kay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Official Review: Gatekeeper by Alexandria Kay

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gatekeeper" by Alexandria Kay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever wondered what it would feel like to discover that everything you've known about your life is far from reality? Well, things aren't always as they seem. This is the summary of Addeline's experience in this mystery-filled book.

Addeline Marie Myers (Addie), a young girl in senior high school, always felt different. She had the impression that everyone thought her to be crazy, was intolerant of people, especially in clustered environments, and felt better being alone. This was as a result of her being diagnosed with a mental illness at age eight. Addie was orphaned at an early age and was left with only her grandmother as her legal guardian. When she started seeing monsters, she was placed on antipsychotic drugs to keep her from seeing things. All she had ever known was her overly protective and babysitting granny who wouldn't let her be and medicines she had to take, possibly for the rest of her life. Addie had no friends and never thought anyone cared to speak to her. She just had a routine of home to school and back.

When she was unexpectedly selected as a tour guide to Jason Sparrow, the new kid at school, she was left with no other choice than to be friendly. This change in her life opened doors to discoveries as Jason knew more about her than she knew about herself. Interestingly, it took a compulsory field trip to make these discoveries. Subsequently, she was suddenly plunged into a world of adventure and danger. What could it be about her that she never knew? What does this new path hold for her?

In Gatekeeper: War of the Planes Book 1 by Alexandria Kay, the reader is made to believe that there are several planes other than the earth, and certain individuals serve as the gates. These individuals are known as gatekeepers, and they possess the ability to move from plane to plane. These gatekeepers also have guardians for protection. In this story, there is an ongoing war to protect the earthly plane from species from other planes. Alexandria did a great job with her fantastic plot, character development, simplicity of writing, and smooth transition of events. Among others, there was also the theme of love, friendship, and teamwork portrayed in this book.

I loved Addie's character and how she moved from being calm, unfriendly, and ignorant to knowledgeable, accommodating, and belligerent. At first, I thought she was weak, but she turned out to be a smart and strong character. I also loved the character of Jason — he was humorous and understood Addie in a way no one else could. He would do anything to keep Addie safe, having her best interest at heart. Then, Addie and the five boys' friendship was one thing I didn't see coming, which turned out to be one of my favorite aspects of the story.

There were errors I found in this book — "Lead" was used for "led" and "waste" for "waist" — which were a bit disconcerting. I didn't particularly appreciate that all the chapters in the book were numbered except the last two. I found this odd as I would have preferred uniformity. Notwithstanding, I enjoyed reading this book. I also had some expectations that were met.

I'd rate this book 3 out of 4 stars due to the typographical and grammatical errors I found. It could use another round of editing. There were a lot of borderline profane words, and I barely found erotic scenes. I'd recommend this book to young adults and a mature audience who love adventurous sci-fi novels.

Gatekeeper
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Things always aren't as they seem. What a scary prospect. This book has a lot of promise, if you ask me. Sad to hear about the errors though, but great review. Thanks.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

The plot seems very interesting. This book seems to have a lot of fantasy aspects. I'm curious to see the development. Thanks for the great review!
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The author took his time in developing the characters which are evident as we get into your review. Appreciate it.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I would love to see Addeline learn new, fascinating things about herself. This also seems to a dangerous story.
Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems a novel more suitable for young adults, but it might appeal to older readers as well with its good development. With another round of proofreading it would be even better. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This seems like a fascinating story but not one that quite interests me to read. It’s a shame that it didn't receive another round of proofreading. Thank you for this review.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Elvis Best wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 17:06 Things always aren't as they seem. What a scary prospect. This book has a lot of promise, if you ask me. Sad to hear about the errors though, but great review. Thanks.
Yes it does. Thanks for your comment.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

gabrielletiemi wrote: 28 Jun 2020, 18:49 The plot seems very interesting. This book seems to have a lot of fantasy aspects. I'm curious to see the development. Thanks for the great review!
It is actually. You should read it. Thanks for stopping by.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Usma Khann wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 01:26 The author took his time in developing the characters which are evident as we get into your review. Appreciate it.🌸
Thanks for your appreciation.😊
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Christieee wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 04:30 I would love to see Addeline learn new, fascinating things about herself. This also seems to a dangerous story.
Great review!
I do too. I'm patiently waiting for Book 2. Thanks!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

NetMassimo wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 05:05 This seems a novel more suitable for young adults, but it might appeal to older readers as well with its good development. With another round of proofreading it would be even better. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
You are right. Thanks for stopping by too.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:

Topsey wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 06:15 This seems like a fascinating story but not one that quite interests me to read. It’s a shame that it didn't receive another round of proofreading. Thank you for this review.
Thanks for your honest words and thanks for stopping by.😊
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

It is always wonderful to find a new author that has a talent for fantasy story telling. This sounds like a great read and I hope the author continues to write the rest of the series. A pity about the lax editing though.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I love both the premise of alternate planes as well as the adventure! Thank you for such an inviting review! Regardless of the drawbacks, this has too much of a pull on me to not place it on my shelf :) Thank you! :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”