Official Review: In A Council Estate, Far Far Away...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Official Review: In A Council Estate, Far Far Away...

Post by Leen282 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "In A Council Estate, Far Far Away..." by John E. Statham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his book In A Council Estate, Far Far Away... John E. Statham combines two stories. The first one is about a teenager, Billy Wiggott, growing up in the seventies, living in a council estate, going to high school, and running. He is very good at running, but less so at academic stuff. The second story talks about a spacecraft with aliens visiting our galaxy, getting in trouble, and crash-landing on earth. The aliens performing the crash-landing are Garok and Trudan. Billy, Garok, and Trudan meet and develop a bond. The author provides us with the viewpoints of each of the main characters, against a background of important happenings of the time. He includes details about living circumstances, popular music, the moon landing, and running events.

There are so many things I like about this book. First of all, the author adds a lot of humor to this book. It already starts with the very first sentence of the introduction, which puts a smile on my face. The funny comments and jokes continue to appear at unexpected moments throughout the book.

I also love the numerous typos and grammatical mistakes. It takes some getting used to since they look like genuine errors left after a round of poor editing. However, they are included on purpose; the author intends to write in the style of a young adult who is less than proficient in English. He shows a lot of creativity coming up with different ways of reflecting the teenager's clumsy brain using spelling mistakes. At the same time, language is an integral part of the humor mentioned above. I want to give one example, where the aliens 'are talking through a demise that is late in trans' - also known as a translator.

Further, the book has a lot of unexpected plot twists. In particular, one is a real brainteaser, making me rethink the first part of the book and how I imagined things. I will not say more about this to avoid giving away spoilers.

There is only one thing I like a bit less. On one or two occasions, there is a contradiction in the story. The contradictions are small and do not influence the flow of the story, but it bothers me a bit when Billy puts an item on the dining table before going to bed and waking up the next morning having that same item in his bedroom.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I can recommend this book to anyone who likes reading humorous light stories with a sci-fi element, dated half a century ago. There is no adult content, and hardly any profanity. As mentioned, the book is full of errors, but since this is done on purpose, I did not deduct any points for that.

In A Council Estate, Far Far Away...
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Despite the contradictions that came up intermittently, I think I love this piece. I'm inclined to believe Billy's character was also developed professionally. Great work.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:32 Despite the contradictions that came up intermittently, I think I love this piece. I'm inclined to believe Billy's character was also developed professionally. Great work.
Billy's character apparently partly is autobiographic. He's a really cool nerdy sporty teenager. I can recommend the book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the inconsistencies you mentioned, this seems an intriguing double-story full of humor and twists in a science fiction framework. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

NetMassimo wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 11:00 Despite the inconsistencies you mentioned, this seems an intriguing double-story full of humor and twists in a science fiction framework. Thank you for your great review!
The inconsistencies are really small, the book is a very enjoyable read.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love books which have lots of humor in them. It really makes for enjoyable reading for me. Great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Strange, but interesting story. I am eager to read this one. Great review!
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Elvis Best wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 15:45 I love books which have lots of humor in them. It really makes for enjoyable reading for me. Great review.
I agree, a book with humor always brings that little bit extra.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Tonika632 wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 16:34 Strange, but interesting story. I am eager to read this one. Great review!
Totally strange, even surreal at times, very entertaining.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I would've passed by this book but your thorough, informative and heartfelt review lead to me adding this to my shelf! Thank you! :)
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

LinaJan wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 09:38 I would've passed by this book but your thorough, informative and heartfelt review lead to me adding this to my shelf! Thank you! :)
I hope you'll enjoy it ☺️
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I appreciate the humor in the story, including the numerous silly editorial mistakes. Nice review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

This novel is definitely composed in a lot of layers and seems to have something for everyone. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Slater678 wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 21:05 I appreciate the humor in the story, including the numerous silly editorial mistakes. Nice review.
Thanks, it was a pleasure reading this book.
Leen282

Post by Leen282 »

Usma Khann wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 23:45 This novel is definitely composed in a lot of layers and seems to have something for everyone. Appreciate the review.🌸
Indeed. And the different layers fit nicely together. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”