Review by madlo -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
madlo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madlo.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by madlo -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by madlo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I enjoyed reading Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery. I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I give it this rate because I would encourage other readers to give this book a chance. It's inspiring to see the author go through his "burn zones" and be able to recover from it. The book shows the risks the author takes and how if you take too many you may end up getting burnt. It shows the struggles of the author and how he rises back each time to make his way out of the burn zone. Readers may find the inspiration to take a few risks here and there to obtain a goal in their life and if they fall, there is always a type of path to take to manage out.

The book is about the author's "burn zones" and solutions. "Burn zones" is what the author uses instead of "problems" or "challenges." Newbery gets his first burn zone at age 7 by working as a paperboy. The burn zone was him having to deliver the paper on stormy days. The author goes through many burn zones throughout the book but the one that strikes him the hardest is in 2004 on Christmas Eve when an ice storm occurs and destroys the project he was working on. His confidence in his work takes a fall along with financial stability. He tries to bring himself back up with the hopes of other people there to help him but realizes that no one can help him but himself. He moves forward in life and finds inspiration from his struggles to help others in need.

Readers who like to read about other people's lives and find inspiration will enjoy this book. It shows that everyone has their burn zones and are capable of making out of it. Sometimes the solution or the reward may not be what you were expecting but you were still successful in moving forward out of the burn zone.

It consists of some profanity throughout the book but it is not consistent. There are two racial slurs around the beginning of the book that is used to educate what the term means and how it was used. The book contains under 10 swear words. There are no erotic scenes.

I could not spot any misspellings or grammar issues while reading this book. It seemed to be well professionally edited. The only time correct English is not used is in dialect.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”