Official Review: "Saving Sadie, How a Dog That No On...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Official Review: "Saving Sadie, How a Dog That No On...

Post by Howlan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Saving Sadie, How a Dog That No One Wanted Inspired the World"" by Joal Derse-Dauer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Saving Sadie, How a Dog That No One Wanted Inspired the World by Joal Derse-Dauer describes the journey of the author and her adopted dog Sadie. Sadie, an unfortunate canine was the victim of human cruelty which left her both mentally and physically damaged. Joal finds her at a no-kill shelter in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and reaches out to help her. This encounter begins a journey of hope, kindness, and love that the author narrates in this book.

The author begins her story by stating that while she was trying to save Sadie, she also got saved herself. The underlying message behind the story is never giving up, and both the author and Sadie prove that time and again. The love and care that Sadie receives help her overcome many odds, and shows that firm determination results in success. The author imbibed Sadie with human warmth and kindness, none of which she had experienced before, and that is the turning point in the story.

I feel the story reflects the innate kindness in humans and how supportive they can be. The narration was excellent as well. Readers can sense the narrator’s emotions of pain, despair or joy. The book, however, does not restrict itself to animal love alone. It raises awareness against bullying and also campaigns for proper care of soldiers who were negatively affected by the war.

However, there are a few things I noted about this book. One is that Sadie's campaigns against animal cruelty were rare, which is unusual, considering an essential reason for writing the book is the cruelty faced by Sadie. Again, I find that no matter how good people are, there is also darkness hidden in the shadows. But this book does not mention the dark side at all, which is a shame as to depict society, I feel you should balance both the good and the bad side.

Apart from that, I feel that Sadie’s story is strong enough to touch many hearts, as mentioned in the book. The natural charisma she exudes brings people together, and her determination and courage inspire a lot of them. It contains a lot of pictures and other information about Sadie at the end, which is a great way to finish the book.

The book is quite professionally edited. I encountered no typos in the book. This book has no profane language, so children should have no problem reading it. I think children should read this book, as I feel they will love it a lot. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars as it does a pretty good job at portraying the trials and tribulations of Sadie and the author. I recommend this book to all children and animal lovers. I hope they have a great time reading this book.

"Saving Sadie, How a Dog That No One Wanted Inspired the World"
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I love the progression of this story and the theme of human kindness included.
Thank you the informative review.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

As a huge animal lover this book definitely sounds appealing from your review. Thank you!
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

For a dog, I think the writer did quite a great work in character development. Kindness is a virtue that's necessary for the world to be a better place and Joal portrayed that. Great work well done.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kachi_Ejiogu+_ wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 09:54 For a dog, I think the writer did quite a great work in character development. Kindness is a virtue that's necessary for the world to be a better place and Joal portrayed that. Great work well done.
Yeah, it was a great story and Joal played a great role in saving Sadie. Thanks for dropping in to comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Christieee wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 04:20 I love the progression of this story and the theme of human kindness included.
Thank you the informative review.
Yes, thanks for dropping in to comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Topsey wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 06:12 As a huge animal lover this book definitely sounds appealing from your review. Thank you!
Yes, animal lovers will definitely like this book. Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

This novel revolves around themes like generosity, kindness and compassion. Traits that are lacking in today's generation. This is a well-knit plot especially for animal lovers like myself.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, sweet Sadie - I think I was already sold on this one as soon as I read the title! Stories like this can teach us all so much about struggle and sympathetic support. You also bring up some excellent points that I agree with wholeheartedly. Thank you for this insightful review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

The cover brought me here as I will usually choose a dog's company over people :lol: I'd really like to read it but, despite the 'happy ending', I don't know if I can handle the sad parts :(

Thank you for such a thorough and lovely review! :)
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Usma Khann wrote: 29 Jun 2020, 23:09 This novel revolves around themes like generosity, kindness and compassion. Traits that are lacking in today's generation. This is a well-knit plot especially for animal lovers like myself.🌸
Glad you liked it! Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 02:22 Aww, sweet Sadie - I think I was already sold on this one as soon as I read the title! Stories like this can teach us all so much about struggle and sympathetic support. You also bring up some excellent points that I agree with wholeheartedly. Thank you for this insightful review!
Yes, the story was wonderful. Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

LinaJan wrote: 30 Jun 2020, 11:43 The cover brought me here as I will usually choose a dog's company over people :lol: I'd really like to read it but, despite the 'happy ending', I don't know if I can handle the sad parts :(

Thank you for such a thorough and lovely review! :)
I think you will like this book as the book describes Sadie's rehab. It is a happy and inspiring tale. Thanks for dropping by to comment!
Sandy16
Favorite Book: Lost in the reflecting pool
Currently Reading: An Imperfect Crime
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandy16.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sandy16 »

The title intrigued me and after reading the review this is a book I would like to investigate more. Sharing the book with kids is a good idea because they can make changes. As a animal lover I am always trying to watch out for animals. I am not able to “foster” any dogs because our house is already busy with our pets. Maybe when I retire I will get a ranch and adopt/foster as many dogs and cats as I can.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Wow, the review seems to give me an intense excitement to quickly know the story in depth. Animal cruelty is a grave issue and needs to be dealt with an iron fist. Really relieved to know there are people who extend helping hand towards these speechless animals. Sadie's story seems inspiring.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”