Review by AntonelaMaria -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review by AntonelaMaria -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary Of A Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is a children's book and illustrated by Jorge Valle. It is book five in the Inca Cats series.

This is a book based around a mystery with animals as leading characters. We follow the Siberian cat Inca, while she tries to find a missing legal document, that will help her neighbor’s dog Boss save his owner home. In that quest, her helpers are her brother and sister, two other cats, Fromage and Cara, a dwarf hamster Charlotte and another cat, her best friend, named Monk. This curious and adventurous group creates a detective agency. That was Inca’s dream for a long time as she fancies herself quite the detective.

I would describe this book as excessive in many ways. It has too many characters for such a short story. I counted at least 18 of them in this 182 pages long book. Then there is also a dual storyline. I am worried that creates confusion. The fact that the storyline is about missing testament, and missing person, doesn't help my opinion of this being suited for young children. Another thing I need to point out is the way the author portrays the villain in this book. Referring to a character as a stinky porkster or greedy fatso is not something I would wish kids to read about. They describe another character as a simpleton. I would not feel comfortable recommending a book where there is such obvious derogatory name-calling.

I didn’t find any grammatical errors, but the editing was unusual. There was a lot of missing space between sentences. I can explain this, as the author’s style, therefore I will not critique it. I will count this as an excellently edited book, grammar wise. But there is a lot of improvement needed regarding characters and plotlines.

I loved the idea behind the book. A cat who is owning a detective agency and together with her friends solving the mystery is very interesting. Also, the cast of animal characters is very entertaining. However, that is not a reason enough for me to recommend this book to anyone, let alone children, or to rate it higher. Because of all the mentioned reasons, I will rate this book with one out of four stars.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This definitely doesn't seem to be a book I would want my child to read. I would not want them to pick up the name calling that is used. Thank you for your honest review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love it when animals are the main characters, especially cats. I'd def love to read this book, in spite of its problems. Thanks for the honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Letora wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 14:45 This definitely doesn't seem to be a book I would want my child to read. I would not want them to pick up the name calling that is used. Thank you for your honest review!
It is weird how many four-star reviews this book has. Glad I could help because I really feel it is not kid-appropriate. Thank you for reading.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Elvis Best wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 17:38 I love it when animals are the main characters, especially cats. I'd def love to read this book, in spite of its problems. Thanks for the honest review.
I think you will enjoy it. It is just not a book for kids, however mature audiences can find them entertaining. Thank you for reading.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Inspite of composing such beautiful ideas, seems like the author lacks in the execution department. Appreciate the honest review though.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”