Official Review: The Adventures of Sedgewick Harris

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Adventures of Sedgewick Harris

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Adventures of Sedgewick Harris" by AF OConnor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Did you ever have a friend in college that knew almost all the answers to any question asked? The kind of friend you would place in the class of a demigod? If you can relate to this, you would make sense of the relationship between Jonathan and Sedgewick in The Adventures of Sedgewick Harris by AF OConnor.

His friends and colleagues knew Sedgewick Harris as the guy with the photographic memory. This unique ability attracted the attention of the British Secret Service, who eventually enlisted him to work on the Enigma Project during World War II. When the war ended, Sedgewick became a private investigator in London. In 1953, he decided to spend the Christmas holiday with his old buddy, Jonathan Wilson. What was supposed to be a break from work turned out to be an investigative adventure. His skills were called into action to help nearby communities solve a spate of crimes. Would he be as good as he was before and during the Enigma Project?

This book brought back junior high school memories for me — it reminded me of the days I was so into James Hadley Chase's short crime thrillers. At 162 pages, the author put together four short stories that revolved around the main character, Sedgewick Harris. However, the narrative was in the first person — in the voice of Jonathan Wilson, Sedgewick's friend. Each crime was distinct, and they came with various intricacies that challenged Sedgewick to think outside the box. As a lover of crime thrillers, I would give the author plaudits for this exceptional work.

What I liked most was the connection between the stories. The author did well to take me on a smooth journey through these adventures. The flow of thought was top-notch. With the way the stores were flowing, I could never be bored even if there were twenty of them in this book. The author used a soap opera style to present the stories in this book — background story, high drama, and epiphany. These elements made the book engaging and worthwhile. I was left yearning for more when I got to the end of the book.

I liked the character development of this book. Sedgewick's personality was relatable because the author already laid a good foundation on which his character was built. I liked that the author didn't make Sedgewick's character a lone ranger. Even with his innate abilities, Sedgewick could depend on other people to carry out investigations. The fact that I could see his flaws made me like him the more as the stories unfolded.

The author's descriptive writing style was given full play in this book. There were no holes in the storyline as the author paid attention to the tiniest detail. The reader would easily follow the investigations and not feel left out at any point. There were no out-of-the-blue discoveries that didn't have clear explanations for them. This book was a joy to read.

This book was well written and professionally edited — I only found three minor errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. If you love top-notch investigative crime thrillers, then this book will make your day. I also recommend it to teenagers and young adults as it contained no profanity.

The Adventures of Sedgewick Harris
View: on Bookshelves
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds really good. I’ve been looking for a good crime thriller recently so I might give this one a go. Thanks for a great review.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I love that the story flows so well. And I’m sure that it’ll be a delight to read about the adventures of Sedgewick.
Great review.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

This seems like a well written book!! Love that its relatable and reminded you of your time in junior high. Since its a soap opera writing style, i'd love to give it a read. Thanks for the detailed review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This looks like an interesting mini-series of mysteries with protagonists who have a kind of dynamics - actually even their surnames - that reminds me of Holmes and Watson. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Megi_123
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Megi_123 »

I think its my favourite story ,its very interesting ,full of dynamics,adventures and creazy things that we have done in our junior time. Im very exited to read this book
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Though it is a short read, the author seems to have paid attention to the tinest detail. This is a well-plotted story full of suspense and thrill based on your review. Appreciate it.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

As a lover of crime-solving sleuths and well-written books, this sounds like something I would really enjoy! Thank you for a carefully crafted review.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Sounds like my kind of read :) I can already feel the green monster of envy of his memory rising in me :lol:

Thank you for such a thorough and inviting review :)
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Thanks for the detailed review. I feel like grabbing the book and know what it has in store for adventure lovers like me.
Miss_chiege
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Miss_chiege »

Being a Lawyer, I believe I'd love to read this book. It is an interesting piece.
__taliyahhh_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by __taliyahhh_ »

In my opinion, I love books like this one. I would love to read it, once I start I wouldn’t be able to put the book down. Great review.
Silvermoon
Currently Reading: That Place of Knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silvermoon.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Silvermoon »

I always appreciate a story where the plot is well-developed. A solid plot and well-defined characters are a great foundation to build a a story on.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Vidya0811
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vidya0811.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Vidya0811 »

I am crazy about Sherlock Holmes and this book seems exactly my kind of thing. Thanks for the wonderful review. A little bit of information on how scary it gets would have been helpful :) Still your review makes me want to try the book. Thanks again, Cheers. :tiphat:
drwcroaker
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Brothas from Anotha Motha
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drwcroaker.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B07XR7CPXG
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by drwcroaker »

I love the Holmes and Watson relationship in Doyle's novels so I might like this book as well. I like the detail that Sedgewick worked on the Enigma project during WWII. Sounds like the author has come up with some great characters and a fun world for their adventures. Thanks for your review.
We’re gonna need a bigger bookshelf.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”