Official Review: The Aware Leader: Self-Knowledge Is The ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: The Aware Leader: Self-Knowledge Is The ...

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Aware Leader: Self-Knowledge Is The Key To Your Success" by Richard Metheny.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Aware Leader: Self-Knowledge Is The Key To Your Success, by Richard Metheny, is a piece of non-fiction that aims to equip the reader with tools and ideas to support them in exploring themselves. The author hopes that upon completion of this book, readers will become more conscious, self-empowered, and ready to kick-start their journeys to become "aware leaders."

This is not a book where the author employs the very popular dichotomy, that asks readers to know their strengths and weaknesses, on the contrary, the author feels that they are counter-productive and suggests a method based on neutral thinking, where he encourages readers to improve the ability to see themselves and the world around them with non-judgmental detachment. He further tries to get the readers to understand how their experiences have created a sort of default setting in their behaviors and how to use their unique characters to create the results they want as an aware leader. He also goes on, giving steps on how to build and support self-awareness.

There were a lot of things to commend about this read. Firstly, I loved that the author often engaged the reader in exercises and assessments that were more like the practical side to what he was trying to explain. I was especially happy to engage in the exercise called “Disengaging in problematic thoughts,” and I found it very helpful. I like that the author gave examples of the concepts he was trying to explain using clear real-life examples of the stories of people he had coached, which made the book more relatable for me. Furthermore, I like that the author made it easy for the reader to appreciate his methods by including step-by-step processes to achieving certain traits that would eventually lead to being an aware leader.

Additionally, I like that the author's message was original and practical as he spoke about a new method of becoming a good leader, which I had not heard of in the past. The closing statements of each chapter was also refreshing to see, as they were quotes from several notable characters which summarized the points that the author made throughout that chapter. Apart from the lessons on how to become a good leader, I was pleased with some other things I got to learn while reading this book. For instance, I learned that there are studies that show that if you suffer poverty, abuse, or neglect as a child, it can scar your genes for life, causing a predisposition to depression and anxiety, and it is transferable to your children.

There was nothing I dislike about this book. The author executed his message well and in style, using simple English that is very easy to understand, and I enjoyed reading it. I also appreciate that the author's message looks very effective, and I look forward to adopting them not only in the corporate world but in life, generally. Also, the text seems professionally edited, as I found absolutely no errors throughout the book. As a result, I have the pleasure of rating this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to everyone, especially leaders and prospective leaders.

The Aware Leader: Self-Knowledge Is The Key To Your Success
View: on Bookshelves
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I also believe that majoring in my strengths while working on my weaknesses leads to happy living.
Brilliantly reviewed!
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

I'm rather curious to know how you can become a more aware leader by detaching yourself. At glance it seems counterproductive, but I understand how it can possibly make you more empathetic and understanding by looking at situations objectively. There are SOO many self help books, and I'm glad you found this one unique
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I agree with the author and I’d love to see how he develops his ideas. I think this is a piece I’ll enjoy.

Thanks for the informative review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love love self-help, nonfiction books. I'd definitely love to read this one. Thanks for the great review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
BookBoyP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookboyp.html
Latest Review: Purges of the Soul by Cathy S Birn

Post by BookBoyP »

This sounds like the perfect book to help with self discovery. Nice review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

A self-help book with exercises and assignments! The author is really educating us about modern techniques in a traditional way.
Amaraah
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaraah.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Amaraah »

Would really love to read this book as it's a self help one , this is a very nice review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”