Official Review: No Accidental Missionary

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Official Review: No Accidental Missionary

Post by Fazzier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Accidental Missionary" by Marilyn Feldhaus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No Accidental Missionary is an inspiring Christian biography written by Marilyn Feldhaus and narrated by Sean Slater. It follows the life of the founding pastor of Addis Kidan Evangelical Church, Dr. Tesfai Tesema. The story begins during the overthrow of Haile Selassie as the Ethiopian leader and the subsequent reign of the Dergs, which promulgated a form of Soviet-modelled Communism hostile to the former Emperor's followers and the majority of Ethiopians. Since Dr. Tefsai's father, Zeleke Tesema, was one of the Emperor's supporters, his life and that of his family were in great danger. This instinctively made him send his teenage firstborn son, Tesfai Tesema, away from Ethiopia. By doing this, he hoped his son would not only get an opportunity to better the “useless” life he had in Ethiopia but also come to rescue them one day from the menacing tentacles of the autocratic Ethiopian Communists. This, however, was not going to be a smooth ride as they would have hoped.

In this book, the author takes us through a series of events that ensued after Dr. Tesfai's unexpected departure from Ethiopia, how he ended up in Saudi Arabia, and subsequently, giving his life to Christ. But that is not all. We also get to learn the challenges Dr. Tesfai went through during his engevelistic missions such as hunger, among others, all in the determination to spread the Good News. Most importantly, we discover how he later came to establish a multi-cultural, cross-generational church in the US to cater to the spiritual needs of a vast range of Christian audiences, including second-generation immigrants who had obviously been assimilated into American culture. All this was presented in an interesting way which, in turn, enhanced my enjoyment of this inspiring book.

I also liked how well this book was narrated. Sean Slater added life to this inspiring piece. All parts of this audiobook are clear, and there was no part I had to repeat because of clarity issues. Besides, the dialogues are also lovely, consistent, and natural. I could capture the emotions of various characters based on how exquisitely the narrator employed various vocal tones. For instance, I could know instances where some of the characters were whispering, angry, anxious, or even happy. Moreover, I could gauge the extent of the characters’ development based on how the narrator captured their accents. For instance, I was able to notice Dr. Tesfai's change in accent after living in America for some time. All this made the presentation realistic, and consequently, enhanced my enjoyment of this Christian biography.

My favorite aspect of this book was Dr. Tesfai's commitment, drive, and a strong commitment to serving the Lord. I found his unwavering belief in God, creativity in various Kingdom missions, and strong conviction to spread the Gospel of Christ so inspiring. For somebody so young at the time he gave his life to Christ, his commitment to continue serving the Lord even to the extent of leaving a modest life, just to ensure the spreading of the Good News, will be an inspiration to many young ministers. This is an apt story of God's mercy and how He can use someone who least anticipated it to further His work. It left me edified, and I could help but look for more ways of enhancing my spirituality.

All in all, I didn't find anything to dislike about this story. It was clearly narrated, and the audio is also of high quality, an indication it was narrated by a professional. I'm, therefore, glad to award No Accidental Missionary by Marilyn Feldhaus 4 out of 4 stars.

For young evangelistic couples, I highly recommend this as they'll learn many tips on how one can balance ministry and family obligations. I also recommend it to new Christian converts and those who have thought of giving their life to Christ. Moreover, people who like historical fiction may also enjoy this. I heard no profanity, and there was also no sex content at all in this story. This makes it suitable for a wide range of audiences, including children. As it is a religious content, this book is more suitable for Christians, especially those from revival churches.

No Accidental Missionary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Love your favorite aspect of the book, as being steadfast in one's spirituality journey can be challenging. Enjoyed reading your review and look forwarding to reading this book.
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This book sounds like a lovely spiritual book that would be good for so many different people to read. It's inspiring that the author managed to create a story that would be useful to so many different groups of people. Thanks for the review.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I have heard about the Ethiopian leader and his overthrow. Perhaps reading this will help me learn more about the subject. I also like the fact that the author is dedicated to his Christian mission. Thanks for the inspiring review.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The book title got me laughing at first and I wondered what the author must have written within. However, due to the religious factor, I will have to skip it. Appreciate the review though.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The religious aspect of the book seems appealing. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

The narration of an audiobook can make it break it and I am glad to see this one was done well. It doesn't sound like a book for me, but I am glad it was a good book.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Intel
Favorite Author: Sarah Dessen
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Fahrenheit 451
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intel.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
fav_author_id: 3879

Post by Intel »

Reading the aspect of the book was a good touch, I really feel like you enjoyed it and had good insight. Great review!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I enjoyed the fact that the author built such a multi-cultural church in the US. However, I don't think this book is for me since I'm not religious, even though I enjoy historical fiction books. It sounds like an engaging reading for Christians, though. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job!
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

This audiobook is a typical narration in The Biography of Dr. Tesfai Tesema: The Missionaries to America. An inspiring piece in the religious subject is engaging when audiences take on to the story. Great review, Fazzier. Thanks.
Soumyadhurve_15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Soumyadhurve_15 »

The religious aspect of the book seems appealing. I really feel like you enjoyed it
VVaishali
Favorite Book: Big Magic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vvaishali.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by VVaishali »

The title of the book seemed interesting. But, as the religious inclination of the book makes it more suitable for Christians, I will have to give it a pass. Thanx for the review. :)
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I liked your review. I am always curious about other people religious journey. I too find inspiration in drive of servitude of God. Good job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I'm not into religious books, so I am going to pass.
Caroline Anne Richmond
Currently Reading: The Little Book of Bad Intentions
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-anne-richmond.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Caroline Anne Richmond »

Thanks for such a great review, the book sounds really interesting and an intriguing spiritual journey.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”