Official Review: The Belief Principle by Steven Aitchison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Official Review: The Belief Principle by Steven Aitchison

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Belief Principle" by Steven Aitchison.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's a lot to be said for potatoes, given how nutritious and cheap they are. However, this dietary staple was once not thought fit for human consumption. Frederick the Great of Prussia stationed armed guards around his potato fields in what turned out to be a successful bid to convince people of their value. The potatoes didn't change, but the peasants' perception of them did. This anecdote is cited by author Steven Aitchison in his book The Belief Principle: Seven Beliefs That Will Transform Your Life. He goes on to describe the impact of altering his own beliefs about his social skills.

The book contains many more illustrations of the transformative power of belief, drawn both from the author's own life and the experiences of prominent individuals. The author explores how beliefs are acquired and how they work. The book culminates in a practical section that gives detailed instructions on how to install a set of life-changing beliefs.

I appreciated both the practical and theoretical aspects of this book. As so much has already been written about the power of attitude, it seems important for authors in this genre to find a unique selling point. By choosing some interesting stories and including practical exercises based on his personal journey and coaching work, Aitchison does succeed in providing a fresh take on this subject.

One outstanding aspect was his suggested actions that were so simple there was no reason not to try them right away. For example, Aitchison suggests routinely transferring ten percent of earnings into a special online bank account. He notes that simple actions like this will add up over time. As I always try out the exercises in the self-help books I review, I started such a fund, and I am now well on the way to buying a family computer. I am thrilled that the book included advice that was so easy and effective. The other suggestions are working out well for me too.

So if you like self-help books based on mindset changes, you'd be likely to benefit from this one. I would recommend it to anyone who feels stuck or is struggling to reach goals. This book will give you the tools you need to vanquish your self-limiting beliefs. Its encouraging and straightforward tone makes for an inspiring read. Given the value of support groups, it is a boon that the book includes links to "belief principle" social media groups where readers can find their tribe. The anecdotes and theories also add depth and colour.

There is a slight shortcoming in this area, however, because research findings are mentioned but not referenced. For example, the author writes that young children mainly experience theta and alpha brainwave cycles. The book would feel more complete if some information were given about the source of these findings. The author may also wish to add a disclaimer stating that there are no guarantees or liability in connection with his advice; these often preface books of this type.

In addition to these areas for improvement, there are more than ten errors in the book. Although these were not particularly distracting, they did include misspellings of people's names, such as "Fredrick" instead of "Frederick" and "Johnston" instead of "Johnson". As this book still needs a little polishing but has outstanding content overall, I rate it three out of four stars. As well as being an enjoyable read, it provides an effective plan of action.

The Belief Principle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Our belief is what gives us purpose and perspective, great review
Ballbender
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ballbender.html
Latest Review: Mother of Peace by Carol Klavon

Post by Ballbender »

I like this book because the author uses his life experiences; this makes the book realistic. The book tells us about transformative of power. It's an enjoyable read.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very useful self-help book with some great practical advises :) I would love to check this one out even in spite of the mentioned above flaws. Thank you for this insightful review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Harty Muli »

I'm intrigued by the story of the potato. I wonder why anyone needed convincing to eat it. Nice review
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

This sounds like a very valuable read for a psychology student! Still, what bought me before I even got to the essence of the book, the potato story had me hooked already! :D

Awesome review, thank you! :D
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

I added this to my shelf immediately I read your review, I'm finding that I have a love for books of this kind
Great Review
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I liked that this is a self-help book that has both a practical and a theoretical process. I enjoyed your review.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

I absolutely loved the first line of your review, and I think that it shows how the author chose the right stories for readers to connect theory and practice. The lack of references is a bit frustrating, as that would add so much more validity to his claims, but I love the simplicity of his suggestions. Thanks for a great review!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I am intrigued by his suggestions “that were so simple there was no reason not to try them right away.” If I put into action just one thing from this book, it would be worth it. Thanks for your great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

The transformative power of belief is my key takeaway from this review. I'm glad that the author draws stories from his own experiences. Beautiful review.
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

I think we are what we think and belief. This was an insightful and inspiring book.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Correction: The author actually suggests saving one percent of earnings, not ten percent as I wrote. Guess I'm lucky I was doing well enough to save ten percent - but one percent will work well too!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I am not a fan of self help books, but this one is interesting. Nice review!
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Self-help books backed by research are quite convincing. Learning about the myth related to not eating potato was fascinating. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”