Official Review: Golden Cord of Arram, first in the Golde...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Official Review: Golden Cord of Arram, first in the Golde...

Post by Delaney35 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Cord of Arram, first in the Golden Cord Trilogy" by Walt Runkis.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Golden Cord of Arram, first in the Golden Cord Trilogy by Walt Runkis, is a terrifying look at what reality could be. This book depicts a world where everything is failing. Most jobs have been mechanized, meaning most of the population is out of work. The government is blindsiding the public with layers of red tape, meaning nothing they say can be trusted. Even the streets are not safe. The Yuendi commonly hack into the electronic road signs and reverse the direction of traffic on the street, causing accidents and jams that take hours to clear up. The Yuendi is an organization that claims responsibility for events on a multitude of scales, from simple traffic issues to terrorist attacks. No one knows who they are, or even if they are an organization or just individuals.

The pacing of this book was excellent. The point-of-view jumped around between a few different characters; however, it was always clear what was going on. This movement of the point-of-view allowed Runkis to build suspense and kept the story moving. It also allowed for the development of each of the main characters. I feel like all of the major characters were well-rounded.

Grammatically, this book was also excellent. I only noticed a few minor issues that did not impact the readability. It appeared to have been professionally edited.

My favorite part of this book was the underlying conversation about society. The main characters were fighting against corruption. The society was set up in a way where no one could be trusted. The police put out reports that were pages and pages of nonsense in order to convince the public they had nothing to hide. It painted a terrifying picture of how the future might look if the majority of blue-collar jobs are made obsolete by machines and technology.

Overall, I rate this book a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. The plot was compelling and fast-paced. The book also struck home with its commentary on society. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading about government conspiracies and corruption. I would caution against younger readers due to some violence in the book. I would also like to mention that this book is a bit unsettling at times because it depicts a future that might come to be a reality; if that type of speculation is unnerving, this is not the book for you. However, this is both a terrifying yet fascinating read that I highly recommend.

Golden Cord of Arram, first in the Golden Cord Trilogy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

We can expect to see jobs becoming obsolete in the coming decades, so if we're not ready for serious social and economical changes we'll end up in a dystopia like the one depicred in this novel. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

The fight against corruption is so relevant to the struggles of modern life. It sounds like the author found a way to explore this in an exciting and compelling way. Thanks for the review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Saving a world when everything goes south. That's a unique concept. Thanks for the review.
Tbregman
Currently Reading: Expecting the Good
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbregman.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tbregman »

Thank you for the review. The book sounds spot on with our world's direction, which is terrifying. I'm fascinated to find out who is the Yuendi.
nanglada
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanglada.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by nanglada »

I honestly love a good novel with some commentary about our society, so this novel seems really appealing to me. Your review was great, thank you for writing it!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”