Official Review: Return Of The Kachinas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Return Of The Kachinas

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Return Of The Kachinas" by Margaret Vivienne Currie.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Return Of The Kachinas, by Margaret Vivienne Currie, is a piece of science fiction that follows the story of Abigail, who is approached by Hordea and given two choices when she is made known of a devastating event that is to take place which will wipe out most living things on Earth. The author describes the story as seen from Abigail’s eyes. She can choose to go with them on their alien ship through different planets, gaining knowledge that will be beneficial to earth’s survivors. She can also stay behind, saving herself from what is to come.

The story comes to life as Abigail chooses the former, but worries about her family’s chances of survival. She shares the information with her family and informs them of her decision while trying to convince them to abandon their life in Auckland to move to the mountains with their children, where it is safe. When the time comes for her departure, she notices that all her children but Charmaine are there with their families to wave her goodbye. The mother of three boards the ship nonetheless and leaves Earth. But, who is Hordea? What does Charmaine’s absence mean? Why has Abigail been chosen? Was she the only one chosen from Earth? Will her family survive the storm? When will she return?

Firstly, I must commend the author for good character development. With the number of characters the book had, one could be forgiven for not developing all of them effectively, but that was not the case for this author. Margaret occasionally employed dialogue between the characters, which gave the story a sense of immediacy and helped me understand the personalities of the main characters. The author was not only spot-on with character development but also the way she described the events and places. As a result of this, I was familiar with most of the characters, and I was not confused at the mention of any character’s name. Also, the descriptive prowess of the author made me have a clear mental picture of what she tried to describe at every point. It was almost like I was there in person.

My favorite part of this book was when Abigail showed how innovative she was in the ship while the ship spun out of Earth’s orbit, and with her help, they were able to steer the ship back on course. I was also pleased to see how the relationship between Abigail and Hordea grew with time. Another great attribute of this book is that the author used clear and coherent English to tell the story, which makes it easy to read even for a non-native English speaker. The text also seems to be professionally edited, as I found absolutely no errors within its pages.

Despite the positives, I felt that the plot in the second part of the story was seriously lacking. The second part of the story covered the events that took place after they returned to Earth. Although I enjoyed the first part of the story, the second part lacked real conflict. It was mostly a story of the people that survived, and how they rebuilt with the help of the returnees. They didn’t have any real challenges or opposition to their plans, and as a result, there was no room for any plot resolution. I had expected them to confront fresh and stern challenges upon their return to the planet, but I was disappointed.

Although I expected more from this book, it was a good read. With the pros and cons in mind, I have decided to remove one star to rate Return Of The Kachinas 3 out of 4 stars. This novel will certainly appeal to readers who are interested in science fiction and fantasy stories.

Return Of The Kachinas
View: on Bookshelves
Deborah kalu
Currently Reading: A Giant Below
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Deborah kalu »

Hmm... it is not an easy task to risk your life to save others I hope Abigail will make it??.wonderful review
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

What an interesting premise for a story! It's really a sign of an author's talent if they can make a large cast of characters be familiar. Even well written books with too many characters can feel confusing. Thank you for the review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like very well-written and interesting sci-fi book. However, I have one question. Kachinas are Native Americans religious dolls. Do they have anything to do with this book? :roll:

Anyway, thank you for great review.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

This looks to be a really interesting story. Abigail is really brave and innovative.
The review is simple and easy to follow too. Great work!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It's a shame that the story seems to fall flat in the second part because the premises and the characters seem really good. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like a really fun story. I like how the protagonist was offered a difficult choice at the very start of the novel. It sounds like the author set up the main story very well and spent a lot of time on the characters. Thanks for the review!
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I love sci-fi books so I would definitely give this book a chance. It's unfortunate the second part of the story is not as strong, as the ending is where you want a strong plot. The storyline of Abigail's journey through space sounds interesting and I would be interested to see how the author describes that journey. Thank you for the honest review.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
ELANOR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanor.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by ELANOR »

Two strong female characters joining forces to save the world, and good character development means this one is for the bookshelf! Thank you for the honest review.
Valkyrie9
Currently Reading: the love letter
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valkyrie9.html
Latest Review: From a burned charcoal, a diamond is born by Carlos Bonilla

Post by Valkyrie9 »

The author seems to have a knack for descriptive story telling, and had a strong start to this novel. A pity she lost enthusiasm for the story development of the the second half. Thanks for the honest review!
"Doors are for people with no imagination." Skulduggery Pleasant, Derek Landy :idea:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

An amazing story like this requires an equally amazing character development. The author seems to be a master of this skill.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”