Official Review: Homebound Odyssey by Javaughn Hamilton

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daphne-asir.html
Latest Review: WALK TALL - create your own self-confidence by Ki Is Your Host

Official Review: Homebound Odyssey by Javaughn Hamilton

Post by daphne_asir »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Homebound Odyssey" by Javaughn Hamilton.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Homebound Odyssey: The Foundation by Javaughn Hamilton is a science fiction novel that takes place in the distant future. Earth has been destroyed. The remaining humans are thinly spread across the universe. The fate of humanity lies in the highly skilled taskforce agents who are trained by the military right from their childhood. The Homebound 11 - a training spaceship, has a reputation for producing some of the greatest soldiers in Earth's history. Garrett, a prodigy, and Skylar, the resilient one, are about to complete their training and are eager to prove themselves. Garrett is expected to become the team captain while Skylar is constantly underestimated. The team captain tournament is fast approaching, but something unexpected happens. The ship's mysteries begin to unveil themselves, and a dangerous outside force threatens their very survival.

Enhanced humans, cool gadgets and a dangerous threat make this series opener a thrilling page-turner. The characters are well developed and easily relatable. The book is sufficiently fast-paced and has several twists and turns that are sure to keep readers engaged. The book focuses mainly on the characters and has an overarching mystery which drives the story. The book has many unanswered questions which will probably be answered in the successive books of this series.

I especially liked how the characters weren’t confined to stereotypes. Skylar is a very inspirational character, and we see her strength and determination throughout the book. The book also touches on some very series topics like gender discrimination. I also found the relationship between Garrett and Skylar to be intriguing.

I had a couple of problems with the book. The narration kept switching from present tense to past tense. This led to difficulty in reading. While most of the action scenes were well written, some scenes were excessively elaborated. This didn’t leave anything to the imagination.

I rate Homebound Odyssey: The Foundation 3 out of 4 stars for its well-crafted story and amazing characters. The book features a lot of profanity. It is found on numerous occasions which might be offensive to some readers. This also makes the book unsuitable for children. There is no erotic content in the book. The book did have a few errors. But they didn’t interrupt the narrative or interfere with my enjoyment of the book. I recommend this book to all science fiction and fantasy fans. The book features a lot of violence. These scenes are explicitly described. This will appeal to readers who enjoy action novels.

Homebound Odyssey
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This sounds like a really fun science fiction story. It sounds like the author did a lot of world-building with lots of futuristic concepts. It does sound confusing that the tenses switch a lot. Thanks for the review.
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I'll pass this one but am glad characters are not stereotyped. Great review
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Seroney_ wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 09:47 I'll pass this one but am glad characters are not stereotyped. Great review
Thanks for stopping by!
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

_Lindsey_ wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 08:35 This sounds like a really fun science fiction story. It sounds like the author did a lot of world-building with lots of futuristic concepts. It does sound confusing that the tenses switch a lot. Thanks for the review.
It was a wonderful read! Glad I could help. Happy reading :)
Shirley Jackson
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I don't see myself reading the book, I'm not a fan of science fiction. But I appreciate your review, thanks.
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Michelle Fred wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 17:51 I don't see myself reading the book, I'm not a fan of science fiction. But I appreciate your review, thanks.
Glad I could help! Thanks for stopping by.
Shirley Jackson
Csanchez9492
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Csanchez9492 »

I think I would love to read this one. I think it might have potential inside, and especially the cover looks good and interesting. I will definitely read this one after the book I am reading.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

There is no better way of narrating a sci-fi novel than with lots of imagery and descriptions and the book sounds promising in that department. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The premise doesn't seem particularly original, but at least it's well developed and has good characters that make it engaging. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Csanchez9492 wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 20:11 I think I would love to read this one. I think it might have potential inside, and especially the cover looks good and interesting. I will definitely read this one after the book I am reading.
That's great! Hope you enjoy the book. Happy reading :tiphat:
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

Usma Khann wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 00:24 There is no better way of narrating a sci-fi novel than with lots of imagery and descriptions and the book sounds promising in that department. Appreciate the review.🌸
I completely agree! The book was very well written in that regard. Glad I could help.
Shirley Jackson
daphne_asir
Currently Reading:

Post by daphne_asir »

NetMassimo wrote: 27 Jun 2020, 04:32 The premise doesn't seem particularly original, but at least it's well developed and has good characters that make it engaging. Thank you for your great review!
The characters were the best part of the book! Thanks for stopping by.
Shirley Jackson
Belicia30
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Belicia30 »

Has good characters that make you want to read the book more and a good story line behind it this is a book I could see myself picking up again n reading
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Sounds good, although it's not my type of novel. Great Review tho.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”