Review by Letora -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Letora -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Throughout his life, Jorge P. Newbery has encountered what he refers to as burn zones. Obstacles that challenge him as he tries to make progress with his goals. Whether it was his quest to become a professional bicyclist or open his own business. Each time he set his sights on a new challenge, there were setbacks and barriers to overcome. Very rarely was it easy, and sometimes it was impossible, but each experience taught him valuable lessons. Those lessons he has crafted into the book Burn Zones.

What surprised me the most about this book were the racial barriers and assumptions that many people made. Discrimination against people due to their looks, or skin color is a prevalent problem in today’s society. It was sad to see Jorge’s look at the past and how similar problems were occurring. Readers will experience police brutality against punks and discrimination against African Americans. Each time Jorge witnessed discrimination it was a burn zone. He built businesses and societies with those who dealt with discrimination despite the odds stacked against them.

But this novel isn’t just about career and investment difficulties. Readers are allowed to see the triumphs and failures in Jorge’s personal life as well. Sometimes navigating the personal burn zones are harder than the financial. It isn’t just crunching numbers and hiring more staff. Instead, a person has to learn patience and understanding. I enjoyed how this novel dealt with both personal and professional obstacles.

This novel is also a cautionary tale. To enter into business is to take a risk. That risk must be measured and calculated to see what will happen if the business fails. Just pushing through a burn zone isn’t always the best solution. Sometimes financial recovery isn’t the way through a burn zone. Instead, a person must learn from their mistakes and set themselves on a new path.

I rate Burn Zones 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I didn’t like about this book. It is well-written and holds many valuable lessons for both personal and business-related challenges. It was also well edited. I found no grammatical errors. There are violent scenes within the novel, but nothing goes into graphic detail. There are also no swears or vulgarity used. I recommend this book for people who may be experiencing burn zones. Wherever you may be in life, picking up this book may give you the inspiration you need to push through the hard times.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I agree with you: stereotypes need to disappear. Great review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I'd love to read this book. I need that kind of inspiration to help me also overcome my burn zones. Thanks for the great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I love the context of the book. It shuttles between career guides and true-life experiences. I'll love to read this one.
Letora

Post by Letora »

Tonika632 wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 09:00 I agree with you: stereotypes need to disappear. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by to read my review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

Excellent review! You did a particularly good job picking apart the racially charged elements of the book, which can always be handled in less-than-perfect ways.
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Your review picks our the relevant themes in this book.
It sounds like a must-read

Great review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Mutai_
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Mutai_ »

great review. looks like discrimination has established roots in our society. it should be a collective job for all to kick out such a menace
Letora

Post by Letora »

Elvis Best wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 12:27 I'd love to read this book. I need that kind of inspiration to help me also overcome my burn zones. Thanks for the great review!
It is such an informative read! I highly suggest it. Thank you for stopping by to read my review!
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

I think that everyone encounters burn zones. I, for one, experience them. This is a book I would be able to relate to and enjoy.
Thank you for the insightful review.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Look like very good and inspiring book. Thank you for great review.
Letora

Post by Letora »

Adanna Inya wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 07:59 I love the context of the book. It shuttles between career guides and true-life experiences. I'll love to read this one.
I look forward to reading your review if you decide to read it! Thank you for stopping by to read my review!
Letora

Post by Letora »

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 25 Jun 2020, 08:53 Excellent review! You did a particularly good job picking apart the racially charged elements of the book, which can always be handled in less-than-perfect ways.
Thank you so much for the compliment!
Rubbi
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubbi.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Rubbi »

That's an illuminating review! I like how the author has shared great insights from his own life experiences.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The book seems like quite inspiring by guiding us how to handle obstacles and move ahead in life towards success. Thanks for your insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”