Official Review: Sakura Self-Destruct by Simon Rooney

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Official Review: Sakura Self-Destruct by Simon Rooney

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sakura Self-Destruct" by Simon Rooney.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sakura Self-Destruct by Simon Rooney is a book about Jason Colbach. Jason is not far off thirty-four years old and is currently unemployed. He lives alone in a council flat and struggles to pay the bills. His pastime involves smoking weed and playing video games. One day, Jason’s psychologist, Dr. Alia Begum gives him a pamphlet that talks about Mindfulness-Based Psychological Therapy. Will this change the way Jason views life? This book takes us on a journey through Jason’s experiences at becoming a more positive-minded person.

What I liked about the book was that it was told in first person, this meant that I could understand Jason’s thoughts and feelings. It almost felt like he was having a conversation with me. I really liked the author’s style of writing. They managed to portray the life of a struggling, unemployed individual without being stereotypical. There are not a lot of characters in the book, so it is easy to follow along. Jason’s character was developed really well. I felt like I could relate to him in certain situations. For example, when he was saying that many people in a room make him anxious.

There are a lot of important messages that can be taken away from this book. For example, you should appreciate the things that you have in life. You may not have a lot of money, but be grateful that you have a roof over your head and food on the table. I feel like many readers will be able to relate to the situation Jason is in, and be able to take inspiration from him.

Overall, the book was an enjoyable read. At 345 pages on Google Docs, it did take some time to read. One thing I will mention is that the book does contain multiple grammatical errors throughout which affected the flow of reading. This is the only thing that I disliked.

In conclusion, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I have to knock off one star due to the number of mistakes I found. I would suggest that this book undergoes another round of editing to make it perfect. As a heads up, the book does talk about drugs and smoking throughout. So, if this is a sensitive subject for you then I would not recommend this book to you. I feel like those who are unemployed, or maybe those who are feeling miserable about their lives would benefit from reading this book.

Sakura Self-Destruct
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I really enjoy it when a book has nice character development. The theme the author portrays seems to be interesting. Also, the protagonist and the title of the book caught my attention. Maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks for the great review!
jardenjarden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jardenjarden.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by jardenjarden »

I love it when it feels like I'm having a conversation with a character. One of my biggest pet peeves is when it feels like I'm simply being told what is happening instead of being shown through the character's eyes. Thank you for the great review!
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

Jason's character sounds very relatable. And I'd love to discover how develops a positive mindset. Thanks for the thorough review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

The book sounds like a promising guide for self-discovery, acceptance and a promising attitude - the traits that have disappeared in today's generation. Appreciate the review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the fact that the book is positive and can raise someone's spirits. I also like that its not purely about drugs and smoking. Nice review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

The theme seems to send a far-reaching positive message to the readers. The review was great.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”