Official Review: Chaos by Mitchell G. Kuhn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Official Review: Chaos by Mitchell G. Kuhn

Post by mmm17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chaos" by Mitchell G. Kuhn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of this pollical thriller, the Republican Party had unanimously chosen South Carolina’s two-term Governor Peter Hasbrook as their nominee in an unusually non-confrontational process. This 62-year-old married man with two children and three granddaughters was to challenge President Beverly Shoemacher and retake the White House, which the Republicans had not controlled for twelve years. This task would be difficult, however, for the President had excellent approval ratings.

Unexpectedly, though, Peter collapsed while delivering his acceptance speech; he was about to announce his choice of running mate – David Aaronson, a multi-billionaire Jewish businessman. At Memphis General Hospital, the doctors first suspected he suffered a stroke, but that wasn’t the case. There were rumors of foul play by the extreme right-wing members of the Republican Party, but the doctors ruled out poisoning. Anyway, Hasbrook could no longer fulfill his responsibilities as a presidential candidate, and an intricate political plot starts to unfold as his replacement is to be determined by the Republican National Committee.

There were several positives worth mentioning in this book. I liked the way this enthusiastic plot focused ostensibly on politics. It is political commentary at its finest, and fortunately, it doesn’t feel self-righteous or preachy. Additionally, it also has elements of mystery and action. I felt that it had the rhythm and tone of an addictive TV series set in DC, such as House of Cards or Scandal. The dialogues are marvelous, and I found that the names of the chapters were also thoughtful and witty. I particularly enjoyed “The Rise of the Cannibals” and “A Grab for the Brass Ring.” The author’s masterful use of language was what I liked the most about this novel.

I also enjoyed the double games that get played by the antagonistic political forces. Several conspiracy theories get well woven into the plot by Kuhn. Through the well-developed characters, readers get an eye-opening look into the American political system, which the author seems to know very well. For instance, I appreciated the characterization of the Eberstadt brothers, two millionaires from Idaho, who fund political candidates to push the ultra-right agenda.

In closing, I rate Chaos, written by Mitchell G. Kuhn, 4 out of 4 stars. It is a well-written and fun read, and I gladly have no negatives to mention. It has a great ending that ties everything up well, with a nice hook for a sequel. If you enjoy political thrillers, you will surely like it. Readers with strong political leanings to the right might not appreciate it as much.

Chaos
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Political foul play? This must be a neatly crafted piece.
Great review
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The author seems to have researched the topic well. I also love the thrill she suspense woven into the narrative. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Not so long ago upon hearing 'political' my automatic reaction would be 'nope.' I started getting a little more open now, and your insightful review and analysis has just caused me to place it on my 'to-read SOON' shelf :) Thank you! Really well-written and informative, was a pleasure to read :)
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Political stories can be quite the bore for me so this isn’t a book for me. But I enjoyed reading your review, thank you.
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the intricacies of American politics so I think this book is worth checking out. Nice review.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Hmm. Sounds exciting. I'm just wondering if my lack of knowledge about American politics would hinder my enjoyment of this book. All the same, great review! Thanks.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Although I dig for suspense and some action in a novel, the incorporation of politics in the book isn't something I'm comfortable with. Appreciate the review though.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

I am not into politics that much, so maybe not read the book. But the review was amazing and well elucidated.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I don't know much about politics, and I think I will want o read this book to know about American politics. Great review, thanks.
Chivdi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chivdi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Chivdi »

Am not so much into political books. However your review is interesting and informative.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”