Official Review: What's Wrong With Wende?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: What's Wrong With Wende?

Post by Maria Esposito »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What's Wrong With Wende?" by Windell Yvette Beaird.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s Wrong With Wende? by Windell Yvette Beaird is a memoir that recounts the story of the author’s life. Affectionately nicknamed Wende by her loved ones, the author has been through a lot. Since she was a little girl, life did not show her much kindness. Wende’s childhood was torn between her difficult situation at home and the good moments she shared with her family. Her mother’s illness forced her to be asleep most of the time, so that Wende had to tend to her younger brother and the household needs from a very young age. When she was eleven years old, she was sexually assaulted by a man who was close to her family. Unfortunately, this is not the only time Wende would be assaulted.

Wende got in trouble countless times during her teenage years, often to satisfy her wanderlust. Her misdeeds included purchasing a plane ticket to another state without her parents knowing, withdrawing her salary from the cash register at the 7-Eleven she was working, and stealing from her dad’s money bag to travel to Georgia and meet a guy who looked like Robert Redford, who would end up being her first husband. You would think that Wende was an evil teenager if you did not know that she would always end up telling on herself and feeling terrible about what she had done. Growing up, Wende battled failed marriages, loss of family members, addiction, domestic and sexual assault, and financial instability. Her faith in God and unwillingness to give up on herself was what encouraged her to carry on. She is now a hospice nurse.

What I liked most about the book was the author’s transparency and honesty in recounting the events, even the ones that did not make her look like a good person. On several occasions, I felt very frustrated with Wende’s behavior. One such occasion was when Wende got into a relationship with Jerry, a charming inmate in a Texas state prison. When Jerry asked her to help him smuggle drugs into the prison, she was hesitant at first, but she ended up doing it anyway, putting herself and her sons at risk. While I was feeling a mixture of condemnation, anger, and frustration toward Wende, I could not help but be grateful to her for sharing the darkest parts of her life with her readers so candidly. When readers manage to get past a layer of judgment and frustration toward Wende, they will hopefully see a woman who is well aware of the power that comes with sharing her story with no filters, and of the impact this could potentially have on others who might be struggling with similar issues.

One aspect of the book I did not like is that, occasionally, people that have not been previously introduced make an appearance in the story. The author mentions quite a lot of people in her memoir, so seeing unfamiliar names definitely made me feel lost. Furthermore, the multitude of people in Wende’s life was slightly overwhelming to keep up with. More specifically, I had some difficulties navigating the beginning of the book, where the author introduces many members of her family. There were definitely more names than I could remember.

The author herself specified that the book has not been professionally edited. She opted against professional editing because she did not want an editor to interfere with what is her own story to tell. Although I found more than ten errors, these were not overly distracting. The book contains profanity and descriptions of sexual, physical, and substance abuse. I advise readers who might be triggered by these against picking up this book. Furthermore, the author profusely talks about her Christian faith throughout the book. While I think that this does not make the book unsuitable for readers with different religious beliefs, I discourage those with an aversion toward the Christian religion from picking up this memoir.

Because of the errors and the issues I had with keeping up with all the people included in the memoir, I rate What’s Wrong With Wende? by Windell Yvette Beaird 3 out of 4 stars. If you’re a person who is easily offended, I encourage you to steer away from this book. On the contrary, if you’re someone who seeks to learn from the experiences of others and is eager to open their minds and hearts to narratives that might be unfamiliar and shocking, this book might be just for you. The author’s point in narrating some of the most tragic and traumatic events of her life is to provide an example of resilience to people who have gone through similar things and might want to give up on themselves. If you resonate with Wende’s story, you will not regret reading her memoir.

What's Wrong With Wende?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Thank you for an insightful, analytical review. Sounds like a rather sad, heart-breaking story.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I understand why it is an important book for people who have been through similar experiences. But, I might not be able to handle the contents of the story. Thank you for your insightful review!
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Wow, what an intense life!
I think I’ll pass on this one, not sure that I'm up for it. But thank you for the review!
-Thea M. Frederick
Mohammed_Sameer2
Favorite Author: Marcel Proust (Author)
Favorite Book: Swann's Way: In Search of Lost Time, Vol. 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohammed-sameer2.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 221667

Post by Mohammed_Sameer2 »

It is a good review of the Windell Yvette Beaird's book espe, that you illustrate the deep sides of the main character, and her history. I confirm that these books are sill effective, because of their human side in the context of events transformations. Have a great day.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An interesting memoir of the author about her life since her childhood, which was filled with lot of hardship and how she sorted out the things to prevail. Thanks for your quite insightful review.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I love how candid the author was in the book. It makes the book more real and personal. Thanks for an honest review.
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

Sounds like a heavy read. I feel sorry for the author. Great review!
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

Your heartfelt review and sincere feeling towards Wende was uplifting! :) I am unsure whether the book is for me though, especially when it comes to religious taint :o

Thank you for such a well-rounded review! :)
Dee_Robert
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: Reel sisters
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-robert.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Dee_Robert »

Sad beginning really and quite a rough ride Wendes had, it's amazing she chose to tell her story

Great Review.
For me, For man & For God.
-Dee.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

One reason I don't really like memoirs is that they can get confusing when a lot of people are mentioned. Great review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Laura Lee wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 17:20 Thank you for an insightful, analytical review. Sounds like a rather sad, heart-breaking story.
It is in a way, but it is also extremely empowering and uplifting in others. Thank you for your kind comment!
khaulah wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 19:17 I understand why it is an important book for people who have been through similar experiences. But, I might not be able to handle the contents of the story. Thank you for your insightful review!
Yes, the contents can be quite disturbing and triggering for some readers. Thank you so much for reading my review and leaving a comment!
Thea Frederick wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 19:44 Wow, what an intense life!
I think I’ll pass on this one, not sure that I'm up for it. But thank you for the review!
I can totally understand that. Thank you for your kind comment!
Mohammed_Sameer2 wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 00:36 It is a good review of the Windell Yvette Beaird's book espe, that you illustrate the deep sides of the main character, and her history. I confirm that these books are sill effective, because of their human side in the context of events transformations. Have a great day.
Thank you so much for your comment, Mohammed. Have a great day!
sanjus wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 03:19 An interesting memoir of the author about her life since her childhood, which was filled with lot of hardship and how she sorted out the things to prevail. Thanks for your quite insightful review.
Thank you for leaving a comment!
Elvis Best wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 17:25 I love how candid the author was in the book. It makes the book more real and personal. Thanks for an honest review.
That's what I loved the most about the book, too. Thank you, Elvis!
Tonika632 wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 03:33 Sounds like a heavy read. I feel sorry for the author. Great review!
It is heavy in some ways, but also uplifting in others. Thank you, Tonika!
LinaJan wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 11:49 Your heartfelt review and sincere feeling towards Wende was uplifting! :) I am unsure whether the book is for me though, especially when it comes to religious taint :o

Thank you for such a well-rounded review! :)
The religious element is quite pervasive throughout the book, so I don't recommend that to someone who is not religious. Thank you so much for your kind comment!
Dee_Robert wrote: 23 Jun 2020, 16:02 Sad beginning really and quite a rough ride Wendes had, it's amazing she chose to tell her story

Great Review.
Yes, I am grateful that she decided to be open about her journey. Thank you for leaving a comment!
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 24 Jun 2020, 07:15 One reason I don't really like memoirs is that they can get confusing when a lot of people are mentioned. Great review!
Yes, I love memoirs but I definitely wish that the author had done a stricter selection for the people she decided to include in it. Thank you for leaving a comment!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

Glad to know that the author has left the book the way it is without any editor's intervention. Memoirs are always appealing and this one seems special.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”