Official Review: The Bomb Squad by Neil Perry Gordon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: The Bomb Squad by Neil Perry Gordon

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bomb Squad" by Neil Perry Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

War can make a monster out of people. In times of war, one needs to be able to differentiate enemies from allies. This is the premise on which The Bomb Squad by Neil Perry Gordon is written.

Set during the peak of World War I, the story revolved around Detective Max Rothman and his bomb squad. On the 30th of July 1916, someone blew up America's ammunition depot on Black Tom Island. Afterward, other bombing incidents happened within the American territory. Detective Max, a German-American, was saddled with the responsibility of raising a team to investigate the bombings and apprehend the culprits. Meanwhile, the British government was suspicious of the Germans. The Brits suspected that the Germans wanted to keep America busy to ensure America stayed away from the war. With both the American government and the British government interested in solving the spates of bombings, Max had an arduous task on his shoulders. Will he look beyond his German origin to help America and its allies fish out those responsible for the bombings?

The plot of this book may not be unique, but the author put a twist on it to make it worth every minute I spent reading it. The narrative was engaging and suspenseful. I was so captivated by the author's presentation that I found the book difficult to put down. The few times I took a break from reading, I couldn't wait to go back and continue from where I stopped. The twists and turns, elements of surprise, and the betrayal sub-themes contributed to making this book a joy to read.

The brevity of the chapters was what I liked most about this book. When I saw the table of contents, I was alarmed to see that the book had 92 chapters. It felt overwhelming at first as I tried to make sense of why the book had that many chapters. However, when I started reading this book, I noticed that I covered many chapters in a short time. Because the chapters were short and straightforward, I didn't get bored at any point.

I also liked the character development of the book. Though there were many characters in the book, the author made a clear-cut distinction between them. Each character stood out from the pack. It was easy to link unique personalities to each of the characters. An excellent example is Dr. Schwartz, whose loyalty to the German royal family was unwavering. I could see the strengths and weaknesses of the characters. It was easy to relate to them and their individualities. It's not easy to put together the number of characters in this book and maintain their uniqueness throughout the story. I commend the author for this excellent work.

Though I saw some grammatical errors in the book, they were not enough to send it to the gallows. Therefore, I rate The Bomb Squad four out of four stars. I recommend it to people who enjoy reading investigative thrillers with a good dose of suspense.

The Bomb Squad
View: on Bookshelves
Moh2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moh2.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Moh2 »

This one definitely sounds like a must read. Two things: the review overwhelmingly supports that and it's well done. Good job.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

The twists in a story really make a difference! This book seems to be pretty interesting. Like you said in your review, the premise of the book is not very innovative, but the development of the theme seems great! Thanks for the great review!
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I love good character development and thick plots. This sounds like a good read!
-Thea M. Frederick
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Lovely review. The title also intrigues me to read the book.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I already liked historical novels, but your review left no doubt in my mind that I must read it! I really want to find out whether the Brits were right about the motives of the Germans.

Thank you for such an informative review!
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

This one sounds like it would be right up my alley! Great review, thank you 😊
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

I can see why the book made it to the 4-star shelf. The underlying themes and plot are engaging. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Reese Williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Reese Williams »

That was a good review. How many pages was it if it had 92 chapters? It seems like a good book. When I finish my current book, I will read this.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

92 chapters make it a lengthy read. The review has increased my interest in reading this book.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This is a very compelling review, thank you. It’s great that the author could put a new spin on a common story.

Return to “Historical Fiction”