Official Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Long Dark Rainbow" by Michael Tappenden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Long Dark Rainbow, by Michael Tappenden, is a romance novel that follows the story of two intriguing characters, Alex James and Samantha “Sam” Reagan. It is a romance story that is 40 years in the making and begins when Alex meets Sam, just for a moment, at her and her husband's dinner party. They meet again 40 years later in a charity shop where Sam works, but this time, Samantha is divorced. One date becomes two, then three, and they begin to fill a void in each other's lives. However, physical, emotional, mental, and sexual connections hardly ever come without complications.

Picking up this book, I must admit that I had a lot of questions about how the relationship between Alex and Samantha as older people would work out, especially seeing that this is an erotic novel. However, Michael Tappenden created an exciting story that kept me asking for more until the end. I firmly believe that this book deserves the maximum rating of 4 out of 4.

The author's slow-paced, in-depth, and poetic style of descriptive writing, especially in the erotic scenes, was the first thing I was drawn to in this book. Michael attempts to give the reader enough time to soak in the perfect pictures of emotions, events, and places he paints. He also gives us the occasional peek at the main characters' thoughts. This made relating to the main characters very easy, as I could understand them individually and feel how they felt. It set the stage for the fantastic character development that was maintained throughout the book.

While erotic novels usually focus mostly on explicit sexual interactions, A Long Dark Rainbow goes deep into the personalities of Alex and Samantha. It was engaging seeing them learn more about themselves, including their past lives, ways they have grown over the years, and their secrets. The level of suspense that accompanied revealing secrets was also interesting to experience. Readers will also get to learn a lot from their insightful conversations. One conversation that stood out to me centered around the comparison between the words “f*ck” and “love,” which detailed how the former is more exciting and versatile, and the latter brings things to a hazy conclusion.

Furthermore, I delved into the artistic side of Alex, and just like Samantha, I was curious to learn more from Alex's wealth of knowledge on art. It was apparent that a lot of research was put into this part of the book. Readers will encounter Twombly paintings, the “Jimson Weed / White Flower No.1,” and many other beautiful pieces of art. I found Alex's interpretations of these works of art very interesting.

I also found A Long Dark Rainbow to be exceptionally well-edited. While I found one minor error, my reading flow was maintained throughout. The story comes together perfectly with a nice twist at the end. I can also say that there was nothing I disliked about the book. I would recommend this book to lovers of romance novels. The erotic scenes and profane words included in the book means that it won't be suitable for a younger audience.

A Long Dark Rainbow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an intriguing, romantic book with well-developed characters. I like that the book includes their first meeting and then fate has them coming together forty years later. Thanks!
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

I was looking for a good romantic book so this is perfect! Thank you for the amazing review!
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

While I’m not a fan of erotic novels, I can definitely imagine that this book has an audience. In particular, its focus on the personalities of the two characters is a nice feature, and the basic premise of their meeting again is quite sweet. Nice job with your review.
Nuno Pereira
Currently Reading: The Gambler
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by Nuno Pereira »

It looks like an interesting romantic book of how two strangers can find love in each other despite their ages or social situation. Great Review!
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

Thanks for the insightful review. This is one I'd love to read
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Am a great fun of character driven novel. I believe this romantic story will met my expectations.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

The book's title caught my attention. Concerning your review, this must be a good read of the romantic genre.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

I like that this book doesn't focus on erotic scenes and attempts to give an in-depth understand into both characters' individuality. I am definitely open to reading this book. The secrets are also something to look forward to.
Star blessed1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Star blessed1 »

The title caught my attention and I think it's a nice story
But it's not usual for fate to bring people back fourth years after but in this case it's rather nice
Last edited by Star blessed1 on 17 Jun 2020, 13:45, edited 1 time in total.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

It's so interesting that the author adopted poetic writing style in his description of erotic scenes.
Great review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Maxwil1
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Maxwil1 »

It's a very good review.
I'm imagining the romance of older man and woman who are above 70years.
I'm thinking how they would start kissing, doing all things in their age.
I'm curious now to get the entire book so that I understand for myself how they kept the fire burning them.....4/4 you re right
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Broken Lance by William H Brown
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I just finished reading a romance that had some beautifully written erotic scenes. Like you, I found it easier to accept them because of the descriptive prose. Normally, I do not like those types of novels. The fact that the lovemaking was secondary to the storyline also was a plus. Unlike your book, however, the one I read was not well-edited.
Miks_solon
Favorite Book: Inviting Muslims to Christ
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miks-solon.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Miks_solon »

prospero360 wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 09:45 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Long Dark Rainbow" by Michael Tappenden.]
The author's slow-paced, in-depth, and poetic style of descriptive writing, especially in the erotic scenes, was the first thing I was drawn to in this book. Michael attempts to give the reader enough time to soak in the perfect pictures of emotions, events, and places he paints. He also gives us the occasional peek at the main characters' thoughts. This made relating to the main characters very easy, as I could understand them individually and feel how they felt. It set the stage for the fantastic character development that was maintained throughout the book.
These elements are my criteria in reading a book. Thanks for this review! I bet this is a good one.
"Sometimes we need fantasy to survive the reality"
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

Hmm, I do like the sound of this one. I'm intrigued by the characters being older than I'm used to reading about. And this was a lovely review. Thank you.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”