Review by Kirsi_78 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Review by Kirsi_78 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters is a story of five women united by a common hobby. Different backgrounds, ages, or life situations don’t matter when Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica head to the river to catch some fish. Rose owns a charming cabin near the river, which is a perfect getaway for these four women. In the evenings they lay down their fishing gear, and in the smoothing shelter of Rose’s cabin, they tell stories, laugh, cry and share life. One particular day they head out to the river as usual, when something unexpected happens. The four women fish a naked girl out of the raging river. This is how they meet Melody, who shortly becomes the newest member of their private little fly fishing group.

Just by looking at the book cover, I couldn’t figure out what Michelle Cumming’s The Reel Sisters was all about, or to which category I should label it. After reading the first few chapters, however, I had it all figured out and was ready to pigeon-hole it to the section of cheerful, harmless, and good-humored girl power books. It felt a bit like Sophie Kinsella’s hilarious stories of Ms. Shopaholic. I switched my brain off from serious-mode and was prepared for some girly giggles. Little did I know. Abruptly the story shifted into more serious waters, catching me off-guard. The consequences of a sudden severe storm shattered the very being of the five women, leaving me breathless. Instead of giggles and a goodnight’s sleep, I ended up spending sleepless moments at early morning hours, just pondering about themes such as unfairness and unpredictability of life.

What bothered me a wee bit in The Reel Sisters, was the layout. I found the pictograms of fish and spinning rods separating the paragraphs and chapters rather childish and unnecessary. Another, much more disturbing detail to me was the fishing habit of catch and release the five protagonists were following. Apart from what I learned while reading this book, I know absolutely nothing about fly fishing. However, I could not even begin to understand this philosophy. Why cause such a terror accompanied by hook holes by the mouth to the poor fish in a matter of sport?

Despite the fish and hook holes, I still really enjoyed the warm and loving manner this book was written. The relationships between the five protagonists were heartwarming. Age or social status didn’t matter when these five connected. Their equally different characters and journeys of personal growth guarantee that every reader will find a soul sister to relate to. I most certainly found mine and learned some valuable life lessons while reading her story. This being said, I would recommend The Reel Sisters to women only. Men naturally need to have their own brotherhood stories too, but this book is not it.

The author Michelle Cummings has done a marvelous job with this captivating story. The editor also deserves some compliments from doing an excellent job. The reading experience was overall very smooth, and I caught only a few minor mistakes. The Reel Sisters deserves no less than 4 out of 4 stars. I was hooked from the first page, just like the fish the characters were pulling out of the river. I doubt I’ll ever become a fly fisher but this book managed to pierce a hook hole into my soul.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Kirsi
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I read this book some time back, and I found it to be an amazing read. The of the four women: Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica was engrossing. Thanks for your sincere review.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

Great review! I had very similar feelings when I read the book. I thought it was going to be a light-hearted, feel-good kind of read but was really surprised by the ending. Still, a great read overall.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

J_odoyo wrote: 06 Jun 2020, 14:22 I read this book some time back, and I found it to be an amazing read. The of the four women: Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica was engrossing. Thanks for your sincere review.
Thanks for stopping by! :)
Kirsi
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Reader5698 wrote: 07 Jun 2020, 09:43 Great review! I had very similar feelings when I read the book. I thought it was going to be a light-hearted, feel-good kind of read but was really surprised by the ending. Still, a great read overall.
Yes, for me it was a pleasant surprise since I usually enjoy more of the serious type book. Thanks for stopping by!
Kirsi
Wuoketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wuoketch.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wuoketch »

I have also been able to read and review this book. It is a great book and I enjoyed it as well. Nice review.
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Wuoketch wrote: 08 Jun 2020, 23:37 I have also been able to read and review this book. It is a great book and I enjoyed it as well. Nice review.
Yes indeed it is a great book! Thanks for your nice words and thanks for stopping by!
Kirsi
Melisa Jane
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

I've also reviewed this book. I'm glad you enjoyed fly-fishing. Great review
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

JM Reviews wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 06:23 I've also reviewed this book. I'm glad you enjoyed fly-fishing. Great review
Thanks for stopping by and have a good day :tiphat:
Kirsi
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

I really love this review! And I'm pushed to try reading this.
Thanks!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Nwaogazie Goodness wrote: 10 Jun 2020, 07:21 I really love this review! And I'm pushed to try reading this.
Thanks!
I hope you'll have fun with it! Thanks for stopping by :tiphat:
Kirsi
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

I really like your review! I'm reading this book now, and am as of yet charmed by the protagonists. I didn't consider that it might be a women only (or mostly) kind of book, but it's an interesting perspective.
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Koltrast wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 07:31 I really like your review! I'm reading this book now, and am as of yet charmed by the protagonists. I didn't consider that it might be a women only (or mostly) kind of book, but it's an interesting perspective.
Thanks :tiphat: I hope you enjoy the book! Let me know how you liked the ending once you're done! But let's not spoil it to the others... :shhh:
Kirsi
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

This is a beautiful book, I recommend it. Nice review!
Kirsi Cultrera

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Tonika632 wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 16:44 This is a beautiful book, I recommend it. Nice review!

Yes it is. Thank you for a visit! 😊
Kirsi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”