Official Review: Case Connor and The Trials Of Sand and F...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Official Review: Case Connor and The Trials Of Sand and F...

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Case Connor and The Trials Of Sand and Fire" by George Lamore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Young Case Connor seems to have the “trouble with authority gene.” Accused of criminal activity in a game shop, he recounts to his guardian how he saw people transform into monsters. This earns him an unfortunate trip to Camp Bundai, a medieval reform site in Australia for troubled youth. After surviving a plane crash, he and the other passengers journey through the remote and harsh climate with limited supplies to reach the camp. They soon realize that the camp is filled with mystical symbols, strange creatures, and unrelenting guards. Additionally, they find that all of the campers have one thing in common. Case must learn to navigate his new reality if he is to survive the barbarous Camp Bundai.

The best feature of Case Connor and the Trials of Sand and Fire is the descriptive writing style of author George Lamore. As the boys adjust to their new surroundings, they fall into their respective social roles, and the characters of the campers are revealed as the plot unfolds. The bullies, the chickens, the slackers, and the leaders can all be found here and are described implicitly throughout the narration. There is also an appreciation and reverent respect for nature that is chronicled for readers; phrases such as the boys’ “snoring mingling discordantly with the myriad of insects singing to the moon” give appealing sensory details that bring the story to life and give it depth.

The narrative is told through the eyes of an American teenager, and its focus and tone reflect the youthful protagonist. There is a clear adolescent-tinted perspective that can be felt through phrases such as “the mother of all freaking arachnids” and “level ten black belt in badassery.” This perceptive choice of words highlights his youth, adds a sprinkling of humor to the book, and makes the characters realistic and believable. These phrases sound exactly how a boy that age would speak.

There is nothing I dislike about the book. The editing seems professional, with hardly any errors. From the beginning, the writing is a pleasing balance of action and character introspect. For the descriptive language and focus described above, I give the book 4 out of 4 stars. As I was reading, I couldn’t help but think that this could easily be made into a movie for youngsters.

I recommend this book to all readers. Its lack of profanity and straightforward writing style make it appropriate for all audiences. It would be most suitable for readers in middle or high school, as they will relate to the interests and feelings of the protagonist and secondary characters. The book spans a few genres: a little fantasy, a little realistic fiction, a little mystery, and a whole lot of action. Overall, this is an engaging read that many young readers will enjoy.

Case Connor and The Trials Of Sand and Fire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

Great review! I love how unpredictable the plot of this book seems based on your review. Case Connor seems like a very interesting character to read about.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

Awesome review! Looks like a really good book! The descriptors sound so captivating! I love it in books when the kids actually speak like a kid or teen! Definitely adding to my bookshelves.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like a book I would end up not being able to tear myself away from! Mixing a bit of fantasy with realism and catching the personality of the characters so well sounds like the perfect combination. I'll have to give this one a look!
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This is a very detailed review.How did Connor survive in camp Bandai?That is a question I would to answer by myself.This book sounds like one that will keep my eyes glued to its pages till the last line.
HRuddell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hruddell.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by HRuddell »

I very much enjoyed reading your review and paid particular attention to the way you organized it. I recently also read another review you wrote before beginning to write my first review. Don't worry! It was for a different book entirely. That said, thank you for modeling concise and on-point reviews!
Xenolyph
Currently Reading: Flowers in the Attic
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xenolyph.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Xenolyph »

Thank you for the review! This book is giving me Percy Jackson vibes and it sounds so interesting! The lines you quoted in your review are written beautifully. If they are like the rest of the book. I would definitely like to read it! Thank you again :)

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”