Official Review: Healing thru service by Sgt q

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Healing thru service by Sgt q

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Healing thru service" by Sgt q.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Healing Thru Service: The Warrior's Guidebook to Overcoming Trauma by Aaron Quinonez (Sgt Q) is a memoir, guide, and therapy session all wrapped in one. When Sgt Q decided to serve in the U.S. Marines, he was spurred on by the desire to serve his country. He knew that meant going to war and potentially losing his life, but in his own words, "[He] was ready to take the fight to the enemy. [He] was ready to rain lightning from the sky and bring thunder from the sea." However, his eight-year tenure was not as glorious as he had envisioned. Upon his return home, instead of feeling like a hero, he felt like a fraud. In this book, Sgt Q shares how living by faith and serving others helped him battle post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). He also offers a comprehensive guide on how others in similar situations can triumph over trials through service.

There is a lot that I liked about this book. Firstly, the author's honesty. He did not hold back on details about his insecurities, fears, nightmares, divorce from his first wife, and relationship issues with his current wife. At the end of the book, he included the actual diary entries he made while deployed in Iraq. I found these quite difficult to get through because of the pain and trauma they described. These entries were also poetic and inundated with poignant imagery. For example, he talked about how "as the last point of light escapes from the darkness of the valley," in which the enemy troops had amassed, so too "did the light of the lantern escape from [his] soul."

In general, I found the book well-written and well-structured. Each chapter begins with a related quote by Sgt Q. However, I found it strange that he attributed Chapter 10's quote to himself. The quote is: "The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle." This quote is often attributed to Richard Marcinko, a retired U.S. Navy officer, and is considered by some to be one of the mottos of the Navy SEAL's. Nonetheless, this was just a minor issue. At the end of each chapter, the author provides a list of references for the different studies and literature he used. He also includes practical exercises that have helped him deal with PTSD and improve the overall quality of his life. Throughout, it was evident the book had been professionally edited, as I did not come across any grammatical or spelling errors.

I didn't particularly dislike anything in the book. However, I did find it peculiar that, despite the trauma he's faced as a result of serving in the U.S. Marines, Sgt Q had nothing negative to say about his military branch, or the U.S. military as a whole. In contrast, he was quick to express his pride in it. Through the QMissions program, Sgt Q has helped and continues to help numerous veterans deal with life after military service. In the book, he shared horrendous stories about the struggles some of these veterans have had with addiction, alcohol abuse, and even suicide. As such, I struggled to understand why he would hold in such high regard the very system that has brought him and his compatriots so much anguish and pain.

Despite this, I rate Healing Thru Service: The Warrior's Guidebook to Overcoming Trauma 4 out of 4 stars. I found the book useful, inspiring, and honest and have no reason to rate it lower. Fundamentally, this book aims to give U.S. military veterans tools to help them deal with PTSD and readjust to life after military service. However, it can also be useful to anyone facing difficult times. Even though Sgt Q presents the topics, for the most part, from the Christian perspective, I would still recommend this book to sufferers with different beliefs. The author provides mental, physical, and spiritual approaches for dealing with trauma. Therefore, it would be unfortunate for readers in need to miss out on the physical and mental tools simply because they don't identify with the spiritual ones. The book is devoid of vulgar and sexual references but due to its discussion on violence, alcohol, weaponry, etc. I wouldn't recommend it to younger readers.

Healing thru service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This book sounds absolutely incredible. Well-edited, inspirational, poetic, strong, healing… there are so many words to potentially describe it, and I definitely want to get my hands on it. I don’t know if I’ve come across a book quite like this before, and I hope that many who have been in the service or who know someone who has are able to read it and receive comfort from it. Fantastic review.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

Character driven books are my favorite, this seems to be a great book, I would like to read it in future.
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

In today's world, I think many people went through some kind of trauma. This book is outstanding for those who are yet to find their peace. Great review!
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

This author's story sounds incredibly moving. Writing about trauma well is such a difficult thing to do. It sounds like the author really managed to do that very well here.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This sounds like an amazing story of one hero of war. Though many soldiers go to war hoping to return in glory and honor, that doesn't seem to happen. Almost all return with memories that will haunt them forever. This is a serious and unimaginable pain that many of us will never experience. The fact that there are so many that are willing to still go into the military despite these things makes them first and foremost a hero. No to mention how safe they keep us and are ready to risk themselves for the people and families of America! This book looks like a good memoir of life in the military. I would love to read this book, but may not be able to seeing as my brother is actually in the Marines. The idea that the happenings in this book could one day by my own brother's realities may be a little bit much for me to handle. But, nonetheless, great book and great review! Well done!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the honest portrayal of the author's life, from his failing marriage to problems with PTSD. I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the review.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

This book seems heavy on impact. The author's life in dedication to his country is beyond appreciation. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”