Review by Wonna33 -- The Thin Blue Li(n)e by Brian Cook

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wonna33
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wonna33.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B07M8QVTK1

Review by Wonna33 -- The Thin Blue Li(n)e by Brian Cook

Post by Wonna33 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thin Blue Li(n)e" by Brian Cook.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thin Blue Line is a work of fiction by Brian Cook, that fixates mostly on the inward operations of the City of Vasco Policing Agency; The office of the Sheriff. Driven by their sure and dauntless leader, Sheriff Brendan Callaghan. The Sheriff has a plan that will bring a new found respect from Vasco residents, and furthermore, catapult the Agency to new heights. Making him a silent enemy of those who see no need for change.

The tyrant of this story is Commander Harwell. He's the topic of discussion more often than not. His sexual antics are highlighted when he makes a promise that he couldn't keep. His unwavering love of abusing his power and getting away with it has landed him in a scandal that he may not be able to escape. With a few allies in his corner and more enemies than he can count, how will he see it coming? Trust me when I say, It never came.

There are many characters introduced in this novel. Too many to count. The author flips through characters and discourse so fast, it was hard to keep up with characters stories. One conversation would end, and another would start from across the room without slicing scenes.The lack of quality writing only caused more confusion for me. The story veered off a few times into trivial ramblings that only took away from the novels creative storyline.

For the most part, the real let down of the entire story is the fact that it ended with me having clarification, or understanding of what was going to happen. In some instances there was no mention of how some key events started or unfolded. I was left with more questions than answers.

Due to the significant use of profanity and sexually explicit language, I would recommend this novel for adults only. At the same time, I would not recommend anyone to read a novel that left me this empty. Also, there was a minimal amount of racist discourse in there as well. Improved writing skills would probably do wonders for this story. The beginning had my attention but less than halfway through I realized, the best was not saved for last.

The minimal amount of grammatical errors in this book contributed to the reason I gave it 2 out of 4 stars. I wanted to give 3 stars, but couldn't with that ending. There were plenty of directions this story could have went, but it never went anywhere.

The Thin Blue Li(n)e
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”