Review by UzmaKhan -- The Hand Bringer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Review by UzmaKhan -- The Hand Bringer

Post by UzmaKhan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Hand Bringer" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington holds your hand as it shows you a world of historical fiction and supernatural fantasy. It's thrilling, epic, comedic combining a number of elements to create a narrative that anyone can enjoy.

Peter Hadrian, aka "The Hand Bringer" is a cop who is still haunted by the memories of his disappeared son. One day on his duty, he is dispatched to a live crime scene where he encounters an exceptionally strong human. Although he is able to overpower him, he gets severely injured after which he is accompanied
by his fellow cop, Luke to a hospital. However they are stopped midway and redirected to a special facility called Apocalypse Suppression Administration(ASA) having a goal of stamping out vampirism caused by the seenjite microorganism. To achieve the same, he is injected with an anti-viral serum which heightens his natural strength and is sent on a mission to the Middle Ages to kill Prince Vlad otherwise known as Dracula which they believe would prevent vampirism from reaching the present time and in return promise him a reunion with his son.

The novel comes with its share of romantic entanglements. The story of Peter and Boriana seemed to develop naturally throughout the novel. The comedic elements break the tension in the plot while also regulating the pace for the reader. Luke McElroy acts as a relief character and grabs some quick laughs from the readers. The various twists and turns keep you addicted to the book to the very last.

The fight between vampires and humans is a story that has been recycled over and over again but Christopher, with his unique style has taken it to a much more universally understood place. The world of sci-fi can be a difficult place to navigate especially for people like me trying out the genre for the first time. However, the book has such an interesting plot that anyone can enjoy the book, even if they normally don't like this genre.

The book comes with detailed narration of violence and war scenes. There are also mentions of rape, child and animal deaths. Erotic scenes are also included but they don't go in too deep. I also found the book quite fast paced. Many times I had to re-read the scenes to understand what was happening. Thus, I am rating it a 3 out of 4 stars. If you are looking for a novel that breaks stereotypes and goes for originality, stop right there and grab a copy.

The Hand Bringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

I really like how the author took a very common story theme but made it his own. This definitely sounds like a unique story.
Thanks for the review!
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

fadjei wrote: 31 May 2020, 22:42 I really like how the author took a very common story theme but made it his own. This definitely sounds like a unique story.
Thanks for the review!
He indeed did add his personal spice to the mix. Thank you for stopping by!🌸
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I used to read vampire novels a lot! I must've read 'Dracula' 5 or 6 times before I turned 12 :D Somehow, the found their way out of my shelves... But this sounds like a story that could pull me right back in, especially with what sounds to be like a modern twist.
Thank you for such a thorough review :)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot of explicit content in this book, which does turn me off. However, I do like a good vampire story. So, it's hard to decide about this one. I do appreciate reading your thoughts on it, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It sounds interesting, but time-travel stories are prone to plot inconsistencies. I hope this isn't the case here. Thanks for the informative review; I'm glad you enjoyed the book yourself.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

Sounds interesting...I was wondering what the book was about. I would never had guessed about a vampire. I guess she to the erotic scenes and all I may just pass this. Thanks for the review anyway
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Nice review. Even I enjoyed reading this sci-fi. The humour in the story stood out well.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

The book was interesting, I like how the author builds his characters. Thank you for writing an honest review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I really enjoyed this book, even if the Christian references all over it probably were a little too much. Great review!
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Post by Standor5865 »

It's great to see that the author employs a unique style of writing since stories about humans fighting vampires are very common. I'm also interested in the time travel element of this book.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

I think this book should be turned into a movie. The characters were built carefully and excellently. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”