Official Review: Silent No More by Iram Gilani

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Silent No More by Iram Gilani

Post by Melisa Jane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silent No More" by Iram Gilani.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At times, adults think that children, especially those under the age of five, are too young to realize what’s happening within their surroundings. That’s not true. Children are very sensitive and begin to connect dots and seek explanations to different circumstances at a very young age. It’s, therefore, advisable that parents take good care of children so that their childhood doesn’t have adverse effects on their adult lives. Silent No More: An Intimate Portrait of How Trauma Affects Us All by Iram Gilani is a self-help book that not only narrates how the author survived several waves of abuse and the Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) but also educates us on how to offer both emotional and physical assistance to trauma survivors.

Iram Gilani was born in Pakistan. Her parents wanted a “normal” boy after their first son was born with some brain developmental issues. After her three brothers died when they were only a few weeks old, Gilani’s mother had suffered emotionally. She couldn’t take care of Gilani and thought it wise to give her to their neighbors. Gilani grew up believing that these were her biological parents. When they finally moved to the USA, and her biological parents had to take her back, Gilani felt broken. This became a turning point for her. From here, she survives sexual abuses, physical assaults, gun violence, etc. How did she survive all these?

This is a very short book, with only 110 pages. It, however, contains very helpful tips on how to recover from trauma. After reading through the entire book, I’ve realized that it comprises two major parts: the first part is the author’s story. The second part contains several recovery tips and tricks on how to care for the trauma victims. This book is written in Gilani’s perspective. Most of it is written in the past simple tense, especially the first part about her life history.

This is an outstanding book for people who are experiencing abuse of any kind or those who are struggling with recovering from any kind of abuse. The author’s experiences not only give hope to these people but also point out some mistakes she made, during, and after the abuses, that hindered or delayed her recovery. This book is also an impressive piece of work to enable those living with these people, but do not understand how to offer any form of help to them. It gives some tips on how to listen and help these victims with the recovery process.

I’ve learned several things in this book. For example, the author gives several useful tips to help in recovery. There is one tip that I found very informative and which can apply to everyone. This was a tip on how to save money. The author gave a very elaborate explanation on how to determine how much you spend, and the amount to save. I also liked the author’s choice of words. I felt her pain by reading every sentence about her experience. I’m glad that she learned something from her past and is striving to reach out to other victims. The author also attached several pictures of her, both when she was sick, and after her recovery. These validated her story and made them believable. I didn’t find any grammatical errors throughout my reading. This means that this book was exceptionally edited.

Since there isn’t anything I disliked, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to everyone. Whether battling with trauma, or just someone who wants to learn about how to help trauma victims. This is definitely a book for everyone. Readers should, however, know that some pictures in this book are of an accident victim. Very sensitive readers may find them uncomfortable.

Silent No More
View: on Bookshelves
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I felt bad that Gilani had to go through so much. I am also grateful that she came through it strong. I hope people going through PTSD read this book. Thank you for a great review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

This must be a very intense book to read. Even reading your review gives me a knot in my stomach, not only because of the abuse but also because of the message of hope and survival.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

This must be a great book especially for upcoming parents, thanks for the great review
Gracious Ngy88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Gracious Ngy88 »

The author's courage to share her story is quite commendable. I would love to read this book so I can be of help to people going through Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
Wonderful Review I must say.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I commend you for writing such a great review of this book. I'm also glad that the author wrote this book as a testimony for PSTD victims and other readers.
Thank you.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Little children are more perceptive than we give them credit. This book sounds like a great reminder of this fact. Great review!
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I totally agree with you. You see that early and tender age. That right there, is the self-orientation stage of kids. That’s when they start to notice every movement and reaction. And that’s definitely the time all parents need to be most careful in all they do around them. Nice work.
Faridah Mwilson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faridah-mwilson.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by Faridah Mwilson »

There are many of us battling Depression, frustrations, PTSD. From my survey, they mostly live in denial. I think the author gives them an opportunity to walk her life which then gives them hope.

It is a good fit to most of us, we all have bad days. A well- written review.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I have three children under the age of five, so this especially hits home. I often wonder how things are processed in their minds and what will stick with them when they are older. Thank you for your insight on this important book.
Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Anindita Roy »

The review is so well-written.Thanks a tonne for the review. "Silent No More" seems to be an engaging and insightful book, brimming with life lessons which every reader should follow. Most of us face diverse struggles in our lives, and this book is going to be of great help. I would definitely read this book.
Chimdi_3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimdi-3.html
Latest Review: Waves Break (on Unknown Shores) by Barry Litherland

Post by Chimdi_3 »

This review reminds me that every thing in life is intentional ,even parenting.It's sad that Gilani had to go through so much pain,but I am glad she shared her story so people would learn.Nice review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

After going through all the horrible experiences, one might ask, “Why am I still alive?”

They have one of the highest and most meaningful purpose to live, that is, to share their story to the world and spread awareness, not only on how to recover and come back strong but perhaps see and avoid/prevent the causes of such dreadful experiences.

I admire Iram’s courage to share her story. It is not easy to write a personal narrative with abuses and other traumatic experiences.
Melisa Jane
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

Adanna Inya wrote: 29 May 2020, 02:40 I felt bad that Gilani had to go through so much. I am also grateful that she came through it strong. I hope people going through PTSD read this book. Thank you for a great review.
Thanks for stopping by 😊.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen

~ Scott Hughes
Melisa Jane

Post by Melisa Jane »

Leen282 wrote: 29 May 2020, 02:46 This must be a very intense book to read. Even reading your review gives me a knot in my stomach, not only because of the abuse but also because of the message of hope and survival.
I'm glad you enjoyed reading my review.

~ Scott Hughes

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”