Official Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Juicy Fruit Man by LaMar Going

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Juicy Fruit Man" by LaMar Going.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What is harder? To fight against your enemy in a war? Or to fight against the inner demons that you bring back with you?

Declan Noakes, a Vietnam veteran, craves for the life of a wanderer who’s trying to lose society’s “chains and tethers.” After smuggling Thai marijuana sticks, a.k.a Juicy Fruit, worth $1 million, Declan aims for a life of simplicity where he can enjoy his freedom as much as possible. But… there’s always a price to pay. Will he be willing to bear the costs?

Meanwhile, Officers Miguel Magana and Ike White begin tracking Declan’s movements. Where will that lead them? And when a fellow Army Ranger reappears from death’s doorstep, suspicions start rising. Why now? Moreover, Declan’s cousin and his trusted friend, Rachel, seems to be caught in the crossfire of the illegal mess. Will Declan find a solution to keep his beloved cousin safe, who happens to also be a widow, a concerning mother, and a minor helper in Declan’s trafficking? Perhaps, he will leave himself to the mercy of his inner demons and switch to his soldier’s stone-hearted defense when faced with danger again.

The Juicy Fruit Man deserved the perfect score of four out of four stars. The minor editorial issues did not prevent me from experiencing the tense moments and emotional sensations of the book.

LeMar Going, a San Diego native and an enthusiast of Chinese culture, successfully creates the story of an ordinary man who seeks a possible solution to end his combat nightmares. A life of nomadism seems plausible when the tough reality of wartime and its ever-present effects hit you. The harsh images from the war field displayed in front of my eyes, so it might be disturbing for some readers, especially if you served in the Army since these scenes might act as a trigger. Of note, some scenes hint at racial discrimination, but only to bring out the character’s feelings. Occasionally, colorful language is adopted parallel to the military vernacular.

This is the story of a simple man who struggles against the torment of bringing the war home. There is action, suspense, and realism. I completely forgot that I was reading a fictionalized story, and I continued reading with the impression that an old man is narrating about the scars of the battlefield along with gratitude for the simple, quiet life. Sometimes, Declan and Rachel surprised me with their familiar, amusing reactions to life events. As the story unfolds, we also get a glimpse of the wonderful American landscape from a cross-country Amtrak route. Another plus that kept me engaged and interested was the author’s original writing style. His tone has both a brute hardness and a smooth flow of warmth in word usage. I will mostly recommend The Juicy Fruit Man, by LeMar Going, to fans of the thriller genre.

The Juicy Fruit Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Intriguing. It sure looks like a very interesting story with a lot of suspense. What's that saying again, once a soldier, always soldier
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Wow! The book seems to be written professionally. Good that you enjoyed the book that much. Well-done for your review
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

This book definitely sounds like one that I want to read. So many war veterans have lost a grip to their lives because they are fighting their inner demons... The Juicy Fruit Man is fictional but the way you describe it, it could as well be real. Thanks for the good review, nice work!
Kirsi
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

The title brought me here and now I'm sold on this book. Nice review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Olukemi16
Currently Reading: Wounded Angels
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olukemi16.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo

Post by Olukemi16 »

I love thriller! Definitely adding this to my shelf.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intense thriller that has as its protagonist a veteran suffering from the consequences of his participation in war. Thank you for your terrific review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

The tense feelings and emotions that went through my spine while going through your review just made me so interested. I love this thriller. Thanks for the review
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

Hm, I'm not typically interested in war-related stories so despite your review I'm going to pass on this one.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

This book centers around investigation, war, trauma, suspicion, crime and thriller. I personally believe that War takes a lot more than it can ever give. Insightful review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

This is a beautiful book. Everything has a price and even those who didn't enjoy the loot will pay. This is nature playing out. Thank you for a beautiful review.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I think fighting with the inner demon is more difficult. The novel seems interesting. Thanks for the review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Informative and engaging review! I loved the opening hook, how you constructed your sentences, and your word choices for the review. I think they really highlighted and promoted the book well. Sounds like an interesting book that has the potential to speak on the topic of mental health in war veterans, which should certainly be discussed more; the cover design is a huge draw-in as well. Thanks for the great review!
Melisa Jane
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

This is a great review. I'd like to read about all the costs he had to bear. Thanks for the review.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I think fighting the demons I bring back with me will be harder. I like your opening comments, they make one to think. This sounds like an interesting crime and mystery book. I might consider it. Thank you.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”