Review by AvocaDebo621 -- Rasputin's Nephew

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by AvocaDebo621 -- Rasputin's Nephew

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rasputin's Nephew" by Marc J. Seifer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rasputin's Nephew by Marc J. Seifer, is a story about the activities of the descendant of a well-known sorcerer known as Rasputin, named Bash Bostov. The storyline takes the reader on a fantastic adventure that covers the globe with stops including Bhutan, Italy, Japan, and Siberia.

Bash, a medical doctor, embarks on a destructive personal mission where he is creating and recruiting cyborgs, to assassinate, eliminate incriminating data, and spread diseases. These villainous activities attract the attention of a journalist named Rudy. His investigations then proceed in collaboration with his friend Koswell, his girlfriend Chessie, and an Egyptian psychic named Abdul Manu.

Rudy’s mundane life is now suddenly turned on end as his research has challenged some very powerful enemies. After barely escaping an assassination attempt, he learns that many “accidental deaths” of famous neuroscientists were not accidents at all. Even after understanding all the risks involved, nothing deters this brave man from following the trail to it's conclusion.

What I admired the most, was the writing pattern of the author. I loved the way the engaging plots were linked and how they related back to the characters in the story. The character description was on point and the reading tempo heightened progressively.

Of the character descriptions that I mentioned, I found Manu's character most intriguing. The graphic description of the character made it easy to imagine what sort of personality he presented. I found his transformations quite mysterious and amazing. Chessie, Rudy's girlfriend, loves him dearly and cares greatly for the love of her life. Dr. Bash's character seemed quite amusing to me. He represented a man who was misled, and then made major decisions based on those misunderstandings.

What I loved the most about this book was the deeply engaging narrative of the story. Humor also added value in certain parts of the story, and that also kept me entertained.

What I disliked about the book was the frequent use of useless profanities. Their occurrence resulted in several interruptions in the reading tempo. The book seems to be professionally edited as I found no errors whatsoever.

I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars. Rasputin's Nephew was very entertaining. I am very impressed by the author's writing style and his attention to details.

I recommend this book to adults who love sci-fi stories. Also, readers with an affinity for the psychic genre will also find this book entertaining.

Rasputin's Nephew
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Great review! Sounds like a book right up my alley, as I love a good sci-fi! The international setting and the connection to Rasputin seems very clever and curious, and it makes me wonder how the author works that into the story. That’s too bad about the interruption of the flow with useless profanity, but it’s good to hear that the narrative was still really engaging.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I didn't know anything about Rasputin's nephew. All I knew is Rasputin and his involvement with the downfall of the Czar of Russia. Rasputin was historically infamous for his political, religious, and sexual exploits among the nobility. This novel,Rasputin's Nephew, takes off on the technological age, with cyborgs for use in any job imaginable. This could very well be down my alley. I must find time to read this. Thanks for the interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
AvocaDebo621

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

sirbobthewise wrote: 16 May 2020, 09:15 Great review! Sounds like a book right up my alley, as I love a good sci-fi! The international setting and the connection to Rasputin seems very clever and curious, and it makes me wonder how the author works that into the story. That’s too bad about the interruption of the flow with useless profanity, but it’s good to hear that the narrative was still really engaging.
Thanks for your kind reply. 🙂🙂 You will definitely enjoy this book. It's a very exciting read, right from the start.
AvocaDebo621

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 17 May 2020, 21:55 I didn't know anything about Rasputin's nephew. All I knew is Rasputin and his involvement with the downfall of the Czar of Russia. Rasputin was historically infamous for his political, religious, and sexual exploits among the nobility. This novel,Rasputin's Nephew, takes off on the technological age, with cyborgs for use in any job imaginable. This could very well be down my alley. I must find time to read this. Thanks for the interesting review.
You will definitely love this book then. 🙂 I didn't know much about the historical background of Rasputin before reading this one, even then I didn't feel like a missed out too much in enjoying the story.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I am so glad to have come across your review! I'd tried to add this book to my shelf so I do not forget about it some time ago but something kept on going wrong. I have now been reminded of it and successfully added to my shelf :D And, judging by your review, I judged the cover of it just right the first time around :) Thank you for such an inviting review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”