Review by Samwisekoop -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Review by Samwisekoop -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Samwisekoop »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery - entrepreneur, distressed debt and real estate investor, endurance athlete, and author - has now written us an autobiography of his riches-to-rags life story. At seven years old Jorge wanted to sell newspapers. Mr. Snodgrass the Herald Examiner's district manager didn't think he could do it, yet he gave Jorge a shot anyway. Driven with a desire to prove Mr. Snodgrass wrong, Jorge quickly enters the first burn zones in his life. Those of cycling through rain and storm in order to deliver the paper, and with great success. But, this victory didn't last, nor did the next, or the next. Jorge was always seeking a greater challenge - and with them - a greater risk. One day, he takes one risk to many, and this sends him over the edge.

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery intrigued me with the very first page which contained a list of his positive attributes and his negative attributes. The irony is that the lists contain the same characteristics. I thought that this was a very clever way to start the book, it got me thinking about what kind of life story I was about to read. It displayed that Jorge P. Newbery was a man that understood that his strengths could let him down, and that his weaknesses could make him stronger.

I was rather intrigued by Jorge's personality. As a kid he was awkward, but he didn't let that stop him. He didn't care what others thought. He knew where he was headed and why. He was not ashamed of his dreams which he quickly put into action. Jorge really put a piece of himself into this book, for by the end, I felt like I knew him. He wrote about himself in a harshly honest way. He sugar-coated nothing. It was great!

I liked how open-minded he was. He was very careful how he labeled people and didn't try and fit them into a mold. He looked at everyone the same way, as equals. This hidden message in the story was very appealing and beautiful to me!

Jorge P. Newbery was - though I wouldn't say a very talented author - he knew how to get his points across. He didn't tie himself down by making sure it all sounded pretty, he just wanted to tell his story in the most understandable way possible. It wasn't the manner of writing that mattered to him, but why he shared his story. Autobiographies are key to our learning. They tell real stories about real people who encountered a real problem and how they dealt with it. Though fictional stories are also important, I feel that I learn the most from the strength of other real people. I like to thank Jorge P. Newbery for giving me that in his book.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars! However, I do not rate it any higher or lower because it was VERY interesting, but not to my highest standard. Granted, that standard is EXTREMELY high. However, it wasn't boring either. Also, though there were no extremely erotic scenes, there was one part of the story where he visited a strip club. However, he left most to the imagination. There are also a few profane words in the book. The editing was flawless to my eye. I noticed zero grammar or spelling errors. The publishing was done very professionally. Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands I would recommend to all.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

This is one of the most compressed reviews of this book that I have read. Thank you for the amazing read!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I like how you pointed out the value of autobiographies. I agree - good life stories are great sources of learning. Thanks for this review!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

InStoree wrote: 20 May 2020, 03:43 This is one of the most compressed reviews of this book that I have read. Thank you for the amazing read!
Thanks for stopping by, and thank you for the kind words!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

inaramid wrote: 20 May 2020, 06:22 I like how you pointed out the value of autobiographies. I agree - good life stories are great sources of learning. Thanks for this review!
Glad to know others agree! Thanks for stopping by! :tiphat: :D
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Thanks for the great review! It sounds like a really interesting story, and I love that it’s an autobiography. Your mention of him listing both his negative and positive attributes as the same had me laughing. I felt that! And I agree that’s a very clever start and kinda naturally allows you to get an idea of who Newbery is and how he thinks. Love it. Great job.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I looked at this book for awhile and chose not to read it. But based on your review, I think that was a mistake. I liked your description of the first page and it's tricky list with characteristics being both positives and negatives. I agree that sounds like a very interesting way to draw the reader in. Thank you for the review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

The power of determination and belief in one's self. I admire Jorge and all he has accomplished.
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

A challenging story this is. Haven’t gone far with this review and I already feel the need to set higher goals that will trigger me to push beyond my limits. Thanks for the review.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

sirbobthewise wrote: 20 May 2020, 19:28 Thanks for the great review! It sounds like a really interesting story, and I love that it’s an autobiography. Your mention of him listing both his negative and positive attributes as the same had me laughing. I felt that! And I agree that’s a very clever start and kinda naturally allows you to get an idea of who Newbery is and how he thinks. Love it. Great job.
Thank you so much for your comment! The attribute thing was definitely clever and immediately sucked me into the book!! It was a GREAT way to start the book.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

Jlblawrence wrote: 21 May 2020, 02:52 I looked at this book for awhile and chose not to read it. But based on your review, I think that was a mistake. I liked your description of the first page and it's tricky list with characteristics being both positives and negatives. I agree that sounds like a very interesting way to draw the reader in. Thank you for the review.
Thank you for stopping by! I definitely think you should read it! It is worth it! It is very educational and, personally, motivational. Also, it is just a good story.
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

Adanna Inya wrote: 21 May 2020, 13:38 The power of determination and belief in one's self. I admire Jorge and all he has accomplished.
Amen, he is an amazing man! Though he made mistakes, just like all of us, he learned to grow from them. He knew there was only one way from rock bottom - up. This book is very motivational because it was written by a man who (like you said) is very determined. Thank you for your comment!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 23 May 2020, 15:04 A challenging story this is. Haven’t gone far with this review and I already feel the need to set higher goals that will trigger me to push beyond my limits. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for stopping by to read and comment!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

You have nice insights about the theme. It was only lamentable that there are always forces that will try to bring a good man down. Sometimes, the red tape and bureaucratic interference on an enterprise could prove fatal.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:

Post by Samwisekoop »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:21 You have nice insights about the theme. It was only lamentable that there are always forces that will try to bring a good man down. Sometimes, the red tape and bureaucratic interference on an enterprise could prove fatal.
Yes! This book especially exemplifies those forces. Will Jorge P. Newbery be able to overcome them?? Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”