Official Review: Intwine by Christina Moss

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Official Review: Intwine by Christina Moss

Post by kmittag67 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Intwine" by Christina Moss.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Intwine by Christina Moss is a young adult science fiction novel. There are sci-fi aspects of starship space travel, extraterrestrial beings, and copper ray guns to keep even the most ardent sci-fi fans satisfied. There is even romance in this enjoyable book.

The setting is modern-day Earth. The heroine is Juliette, who turns eighteen in a month. It is her summer vacation, and when it is over, she will return to finish her last year of high school. Julie loves to read, but her obsession is art and drawing. She is an accomplished artist, and everywhere she goes she memorizes faces, buildings, or anything else that catches her attention.

Julie meets Seth and they soon fall in love. Together with Seth’s younger brother, Matt, and Seth’s dog Remy, they form a close-knit bond and spend the summer together. The comrades travel in an amazingly high-tech starship to England, Sri Lanka, and throughout the galaxy. Seth’s uncle Marcus joins them on many of their travels. They even rescue thirty-two impoverished and mistreated war orphans.

As Julie and Seth grow in their relationship and learn everything they can about each other, their exploits bring lots of surprises and twists. Since Julie has never been out of California, her traveling to unknown places is epic.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Intwine. My most favorite part of the novel is the author’s skill with characterization. The characters are well-developed, likable, and engaging. The intertwining of the characters’ personality traits, feelings, emotions, and actions is awesome. Julie is a loving, caring, and intelligent young woman who can be opinionated sometimes. Seth is a protective big brother to Matt, and intensely protective of Julie. Matt is an eight-year-old genius, and Remy is the loyal dog that takes a liking to Julie and does not want to leave her side. The other characters of the book also shine.

I also like the author’s creative descriptions for the various places, events, and sci-fi elements. The imagery of the different aliens’ appearances, and the sci-fi gadgets and items the aliens use is impressive. Most of the aliens are humanoid, but some are unusual and unique. I especially like the fishlike alien who walks on fins and has tentacles for hands, as well as the large giant red ant with pincers on each side of his mouth and a huge stinger sticking out of his abdomen. I could easily form the pictures of these extraterrestrials in my mind. The insightful descriptions of the planets, stars, and moons are also enjoyable. The lovely descriptions of Sri Lanka, England, and the California beaches are a notable addition to this novel.

Furthermore, I also like how the novel is well written and easy to read. I appreciate the smooth flow of the story and dialogue that created an easy reading pace that I noticed immediately.

There is nothing that I disliked about Intwine. It has been professionally edited, as I did not find any punctuation, grammar, or typing errors. There is no profanity of any kind and only one occurrence of an inappropriate sexual intent that is interrupted and stopped before anything happens.

It is my pleasure to rate Intwine by Christina Moss four out of four stars. There are a few instances of people being killed and the aforementioned sexual intent incident that may not be appropriate reading for younger ages. Therefore, I recommend Intwine for ages 16 and over.

Intwine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Very interesting, the book commands great imaginations.I am giving it a try.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Character development is one thing I look forward to while reading. It makes any story a joy to read. The author appears to have done a great job. Julie appears to be a very likable character too. I wouldn't mind adding this to my Bookshelf. Thanks for this engaging review.
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

Professional editing! And a 4 out of 4 rating! I love sci-fi, so I will definitely be looking into this book.
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

Sci-fi is not my type of literature, but your review makes it sound appealing.
AT first I found it a bit weird that a high-tech starship would be used to travel to different countries - as you mention in paragraph three. But then, when you say that it is also used to travel around the galaxy, I started wondering if the author is trying to make an analogy between different planets and different countries, i.e. England and Sri Lanka are so different that it almost looks like they are two separate planets.
Thank you for your review.
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!
Sydney Lee
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-lee.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Sydney Lee »

I love young adult sci-fi, and it does sound very interesting, especially getting a high review. The romance part is what's making me think about it a little more, but I'll definitely consider this one. Thanks for your review!
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This sounds very interesting and even though I am not a big fan of science fiction, I would really love to read this book. Thanks for the honest review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Wow... I love this...
Was captivated by the title and i wasn't disappointed.
I guess it'll be a fun read for me.
Thanks for the review
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This sounds like an interesting YA novel, whose plot-development is quite captivating.
Great review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing contemporary, young adult science fiction novel highlighting space travel, self-worth, romance, adventure, growth, and amazing characterization. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

I love young adult sci-fi and the imaginations induced in the story makes it a very interesting one. A commendable work by the author.
Astrolorraine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrolorraine.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Astrolorraine »

I am not a huge fan of romance, but a creative sci-fi story with good character development is always worth a shot.
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

I usually love science fiction books, but the premise of this one didn't catch my attention. It has some aspects of romance, action, space travel, aliens, and powers. But I don't think this is for me since it seems more focused on young adults. Thanks for the insightful review! Great job.
buttercake20+_Modupe Bello
Currently Reading: The Miller's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercake20-modupe-bello.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by buttercake20+_Modupe Bello »

Sci-fi, young love, a sense of belonging, responsibility and heroism. Recipies to a wonderful work of art. I'm definitely shelfing this.
ankushavhad
Favorite Book: Gardening With Guns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ankushavhad.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by ankushavhad »

Great review, kmittag67. Thanks.
The "Intwine" is one of the four of Christina Moss’s series books. It looks like a classic piece of sci-fi adventure novel with romance on track. The camera-capture memory of Juliette really adds hi-tech aspect and her pairing with Seth the romantic saga. I liked the story taking the team of youngsters travel high-tech starship to England, Sri Lanka, and throughout the galaxy, amidst extra-terrestrials aliens are humanoid. Well, their rescuing of 32 impoverished and mistreated war orphans seems an adventurous mission then.
Wish to know the full story and will seek the book to read soon.

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”