Official Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Surviving the Business of Healthcare is a definitive guide by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C. As a fourth-generation family practice provider and also a cancer patient, Regis provides a comprehensive perspective based on her familial, professional, and personal experiences. In concise and easy-to-understand chapters, she offers insight on such topics as the importance of being informed and advocating for yourself, health insurance options, the roles of different healthcare providers, and navigating hospital admission. Regis also documents her progression, diagnosis, and treatment as a cancer patient "diagnosed with a rare form called amelanotic nodular melanoma."

Regis packs a wealth of information in this comprehensive handbook. Growing up in a home where the front foyer served as the patient waiting room for her father's family practice, she provides readers with a unique glimpse into the drastic changes in healthcare in recent generations. Regis explains her role as a "cradle-to-grave practitioner" and emphasizes the importance of selecting the right primary care physician. She offers readers practical advice, such as "If you feel rushed and unheard, then find another PCP." Regis describes her purpose for writing the book: "to provide information that will empower you to make better healthcare decisions for you and your family."

Healthcare is such a relevant concern, and I learned a lot from this concise guide. Admittedly, this is not a book I would select if I were browsing in a bookstore, but fortunately, I stumbled upon a rare gem: a book that is as enjoyable to read as it is informative. I especially liked the portions that Regis subtitled, "A glimpse into our not-so-sleepy town." In these sections, she told stories about growing up in her childhood home that also served as one of two doctors' offices in town. Regis's recollections made me long for simpler times when doctors made housecalls and sometimes bartered for their fees. I also appreciated her inclusion of money-saving tips related to cost-comparison shopping. In one example, she contrasted the inflated cost of an over-the-counter medication that her mother purchased from a well-known pharmacy with the price of the same medicine on Amazon; the difference was staggering.

There honestly isn't anything I dislike or improvements I can suggest for this informative guide. Regis's firsthand experiences as a family practitioner and cancer patient, coupled with her anecdotes from the past, qualify her to provide readers with all-encompassing insight. Additionally, the book is free from profanity and exceptionally edited; I didn't note a single error.

I unreservedly rate Surviving the Business of Healthcarer 4 out of 4 stars. Due to the wealth of information the book provides, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't learn something from it. I recommend it to readers who desire to learn more about advocating for optimal healthcare for themselves and their loved ones while saving money in the process. Regis's story will also appeal to cancer patients.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy747.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Amy747 »

It can be hard to find a doctor who will truly listen to the patient and keep helping until the patient is totally satisfied.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Amy747 wrote: 16 Feb 2020, 04:08 It can be hard to find a doctor who will truly listen to the patient and keep helping until the patient is totally satisfied.
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for your comment.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It this book that is more suited for US citizens? This is an amazing review. It sounds like a great book. It is important to have all information in one place.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:09 It this book that is more suited for US citizens? This is an amazing review. It sounds like a great book. It is important to have all information in one place.
The author does address many healthcare issues that are specific to the U.S. However, it contains a lot of helpful information that may benefit readers from other countries, too. Thanks for your comment.
Ogoskino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogoskino.html
Latest Review: adventured of columbus daniel by Columbus daniel

Post by Ogoskino »

A very informative book put together by Regis. It sounds like an interesting one too. Thanks for the review.
mig-mar
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mig-mar.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by mig-mar »

This book sounds like an important read. With the crisi we're living through, it's more relevant than ever. Thanks for your review!
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

Surviving the Business of Health Care is an informative guide that one should take advantage of. It is a cool read that gives rich details about how to deal with health challenges without leaving out financial concerns I fell for the book because of the fact the author feels concerned. Great review.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Even before I click to view this review, I've been wanting to get this type of book because it does with health. Good job on ur review!!
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

Wow so this is not just a novel to make you quench the thirst of reading Books but also a blue print to help you make a better healthcare decisions for you and your family, this is a Good review.
Shaffner
Currently Reading: Mindfulness in Plain English
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaffner.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Shaffner »

This book was calling to me, because I work in the healthcare field. I avoided it because I thought it might be more for a business executive, and that it might be a bit of a drudgery to get through. Glad I read your review because it sounds like I was wrong. It may be a good book for me after all. Thanks!
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

I like it when a book is both interesting and informative. Good review!
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

A wonderful review!
Healthcare is such an important part of our daily lives. Even I would not pick up this book in a bookstore but I'm glad that someone compiled a book full of information on the topic. Sadly most people would read such a book only after they were faced with some health related adversity.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Beenish Murtaza
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Beenish Murtaza »

Caring of our health is really very important and this book is very informative and interesting . I love the way doctor help his patients best book
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:tiphat: Surviving The Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis, PA-C, has just been added to my "Want to Read Shelf." Based on your detailed review, you stated that the author's purpose for writing the book is "to provide information that will empower you to make better healthcare decisions for you and your family." I admire the passion and the honesty of the author, Ms. Barbara Galutia Regis, which is reflected in that simple statement. It is books like these that make a positively drastic impact on the betterment of humanity. Excellent Review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”