Official Review: From Shreds To Riches

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: From Shreds To Riches

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Shreds To Riches" by Garrett Wyland with David Fisher.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Scott started working in a jewelry store at the age of ten, sweeping the floor and polishing the glass cases. By eighteen, he was a sales assistant. Being very motivated and a great salesman, he moved from one opportunity to another, becoming more successful and gaining wealth. Finally, after years of hard work, Scott is at the top in the lightbulb-telemarketing business. He and his partner, Doug, occupy an office on the fortieth floor above Fifth Avenue in New York City. However, rising to the top has created some enemies and betrayals.

Scott and Doug are doing business as usual in their office when Scott sees a jet black helicopter hovering by his window with “FBI” on the side. Shortly afterward, his front door is struck down with a battering ram, and a dozen FBI agents with guns storm inside. They confiscate all their files and transport them to the regional office. What laws have they broken to cause this reaction? Is time in prison in their future?

From Shreds to Riches by Garrett Wyland is unlike anything I have previously read. Listed in the C/T/M/H genre with a unique plot dealing with a possible white-collar crime in the telemarketing business, it is also a comedy. The book comprises only 228 pages and doesn’t take long to read. The story of the FBI invading the business is told in the first chapter from the third-person point of view. After the first chapter, it switches over to Scott’s first-person point of view. Scott goes back in time to his childhood and fills the readers in on pertinent events to explain why they will possibly be going to prison. From one unexpected twist to the following one, the author kept me guessing where he would venture next.

Mr. Wyland’s witty narrative and realistic dialogues kept me enthralled throughout the entire book. It felt like I was talking with a friend, and he was recounting his story in a very entertaining and comedic way. The humor represented my favorite aspect of the tale. It compelled me to smile frequently and occasionally to laugh out loud.

I also admired the character development in the story. Because he loved being rich and looking the part, Scott was compelled to succeed at almost any cost. He was self-confident and fearless and could sell anything to anyone. If the benefits were worth the risks, Scott wouldn’t be averse to breaking the law, and he could be unfaithful. Other than working extremely hard and being a good salesman, Doug was the opposite. He was uninclined to spend a cent that was unnecessary. He dressed in outdated clothes and drove an old car. Being frightened of everything, Doug seldom took a risk. Both were fascinating and fully fleshed-out characters.

Sadly, too many punctuation and grammatical errors were encountered in the book to bestow a perfect score. It could use another round of editing. This was the only thing about the book I wasn’t fond of. If the errors were cleared up, I think it would deserve the highest rating.

Because I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining crime novel, it achieves a rating of three out of four stars with one star removed due to the errors. It is enthusiastically recommended to anyone looking for an entertaining read that will add a little humor to their day. Sex was alluded to but was not described. There was profanity in the story; therefore, it is unsuitable for children or readers sensitive to obscenities.

From Shreds To Riches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I'm impressed to hear that the book is comic. This type of story book must interest me while reading. Good starting point and ending in your review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I love the picture on the cover page, it truly depicts the title of the book. If Scott was willing to do anything to get rich, I think he must have done something to violate the law that led to their arrest.Interesting storyline, and a great review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Sunday diamond wrote: 16 May 2020, 05:12 I'm impressed to hear that the book is comic. This type of story book must interest me while reading. Good starting point and ending in your review.
Thanks so much for reading my review and commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Splendour0606 wrote: 16 May 2020, 05:14 I love the picture on the cover page, it truly depicts the title of the book. If Scott was willing to do anything to get rich, I think he must have done something to violate the law that led to their arrest.Interesting storyline, and a great review.
Thanks! It was a unique and intriguing storyline for sure!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This book sounds splendid! The characters sound well-rounded and very human, which is so endearing! I love comedic books and was thrilled to learn that this book is abundant in humor! Thank you for your intriguing, honest, and informative review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I wouldn't mind reading an intriguing crime novel right now. Scott seemed like a good guy. I wonder what crime was committed. And to know that Doug and Scott are quite the opposite is funny. What an unlikely pair. Lovely review!
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love crime novels with a humorous touch; they're much more entertaining than the "blood and gore" types. This one looks like a winner. Thanks for a great review. :D
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Wy_Bertram »

From the title and cover, I expected this to be a self-help nonfiction, but I'm pleased to learn it's actually a comedy. Now I imagine rich people in comical situations and it's an interesting image.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like such a fun story, and I'm glad the author incorporated so much humor. Thanks for a great review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Samwisekoop wrote: 16 May 2020, 11:58 This book sounds splendid! The characters sound well-rounded and very human, which is so endearing! I love comedic books and was thrilled to learn that this book is abundant in humor! Thank you for your intriguing, honest, and informative review!!

Thank you for your kind words! I hope you have a chance to read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Zee_Zee wrote: 16 May 2020, 17:10 I wouldn't mind reading an intriguing crime novel right now. Scott seemed like a good guy. I wonder what crime was committed. And to know that Doug and Scott are quite the opposite is funny. What an unlikely pair. Lovely review!
Indeed, they were the exact opposite. I hope you read the book. I think you will enjoy it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Juliet+1 wrote: 16 May 2020, 17:16 I love crime novels with a humorous touch; they're much more entertaining than the "blood and gore" types. This one looks like a winner. Thanks for a great review. :D
I truly enjoy them as well. Thanks for the comments!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Wy_Bertram wrote: 16 May 2020, 18:45 From the title and cover, I expected this to be a self-help nonfiction, but I'm pleased to learn it's actually a comedy. Now I imagine rich people in comical situations and it's an interesting image.
It was an interesting and humorous book. I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

unamilagra wrote: 16 May 2020, 23:22 This sounds like such a fun story, and I'm glad the author incorporated so much humor. Thanks for a great review!
I certainly enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by, my friend!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”