Official Review: The Hidden You and Your Leadership Evolu...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Official Review: The Hidden You and Your Leadership Evolu...

Post by InStoree »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hidden You and Your Leadership Evolution" by John Slone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The title of the book piqued my curiosity, especially “The Hidden You” part, and made me wonder about two particular topics: is there someone/something hidden inside of me and what is leadership transcendence. The author of The Hidden You and Your Leadership Evolution: A Systematic Approach to Leadership Transcendence, John B. Slone, certainly didn’t disappoint me and helped me find the answer to those questions. Moreover, he introduced me to management psychology, various social behaviors, conscious and subconscious brain functionality, inborn primary instincts, DNA genetics, and three effective tools of what he calls “the systematic approach” — move, adapt, and left behind.

The author goes beyond the common inspirational attitude that we usually find in this literary category. He focuses first on the importance of knowing yourself, down to your subtlest psychological and physiological roots, as an important part of the leadership foundation and, secondly, on the methodical approach that will assist you in the process of leadership evolution. One of my favorite aspects was his humanistic tone that I rarely find in most educational works. He aims to support aspiring leaders by addressing the reality of a work environment and dissolving the stereotype that leadership is a natural-born trait that you either have or don’t have. He replaces that notion with the concept that “leadership is a skill,” and like many other skills, it can be developed through practice, exercise, and continued learning.

I gained precious knowledge about improving my professional and personal relationships. I’m not in a leadership position, but as a freelancer and a part of society, I do interact with different types of individuals. Social interactions are a key component to personal growth and to the leadership evolution. The book is peppered with sports analogies, moral stories, historical leadership examples, and wise advice. I wish I could have read more of the author’s personal examples from his vast understanding of leadership that illustrated the failure or the success of the outcome. Personally, this would have helped me associate and apply his principles to my own relationships with coworkers, family, and friends.

If you’re looking for advice on how to fast-track your way up the professional ladder, this book is not for you; it is for those who have a wider view of personal and professional development and who are willing to embrace patience and time in order to build a strong foundation and a systematic approach that will sustain and keep you on top. Directors, managers, and supervisors could also benefit from this compilation of some of the most recognized and respected theories regarding human behavior and motivation.

There are a handful of words that could be considered borderline profane language. As for the editing, I couldn’t detect any errors, and it seemed carefully proofread. This 4 out of 4 stars book is a must-read for all, regardless of your social or work status.

At some point, many of us have met an inept or egocentric leader, and most likely, we are far from achieving this leadership ideal. But this book is a meaningful step, encouraging a better world with more evolved, transcendent leaders who genuinely care about the well-being and contentment of their followers.

The Hidden You and Your Leadership Evolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

Wow! This book dives to the core of leadership, dissecting this valuable skill particle by particle. I believed for a long time that you were either born a leader or not. Glad that the author can prove otherwise.
nice review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

This looks like a very intriguing book! Thank you for your informative review! I think there should be more books on and similar to this topic out there. I especially liked the fact that you stated that the author writes with a "humanistic tone". In those kinds of books, I really prefer them to have such a tone! Thank you for mentioning that.
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I really need to get this book in my shelf. It seems like an eye opener. Also, the book title caught my attention and I'm not disappointed by this review. Thanks for this informative review. Great job!
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

I've been considering reading this book so I really appreciate your review! I love that the author goes beyond the inspirational attitude. I'm always disappointed when an intriguing book is only filled with inspirational words. This book sounds like it has really helpful and concrete ideas so I'll definitely add it to my reading list!
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Seeing the title - being psychological my interest for the book is developed. I wished I'm opportune to review this boom. Good job on your educative review.
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I am willing to wait to climb the professional ladder so I think this may suit me. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Wow! This book is a full package for building leadership skills. I have a lot to learn tom this book, and I am grabbing it. Awesome review.
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

I think I would hugely enjoy the psychological aspect of the book. The review is well-written. Bravo!
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Alyssa1010
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Alyssa1010 »

The hidden you and your leadership evolution seem like a very interesting book. I believe that it can possibly give you a few helpful tips on life. I would love to purchase the book. :techie-studyingbrown:
:techie-studyinggray:
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

There's never a fast way to become a great leader. I'm always willing to look for ways to develop myself and this books sounds like a great fit. Great review!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

Like the reviewer, I am also not disappointed. The title caught my eyes, and my expectation was met. The author said that leadership is a skill and that it can be developed through practice with emphases. I think that is laudable. Thanks.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This book seems to have a lot that anybody who desires to become a better version of themselves needs. I am looking forward to reading this book. Thank you for the amazing review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

FEislandqueen13 wrote: 15 May 2020, 09:07 Wow! This book dives to the core of leadership, dissecting this valuable skill particle by particle. I believed for a long time that you were either born a leader or not. Glad that the author can prove otherwise.
nice review.
Well-said, FE! This book goes beyond the common methods of leadership. I hope you enjoy it. I used to have the same opinion about being born a leader or not, but the author's perspective made me reconsider this notion. Thank you for your perceptive comment!
~Tayma Tameem
InStoree
Currently Reading:

Post by InStoree »

Samwisekoop wrote: 15 May 2020, 09:48 This looks like a very intriguing book! Thank you for your informative review! I think there should be more books on and similar to this topic out there. I especially liked the fact that you stated that the author writes with a "humanistic tone". In those kinds of books, I really prefer them to have such a tone! Thank you for mentioning that.
The pleasure is all mine. It was one of my favorite parts of the book. I have difficulties absorbing new info that comes with a preachy tone. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Sam!
~Tayma Tameem

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”