Official Review: Clean Water for Developing Countries

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Official Review: Clean Water for Developing Countries

Post by That Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Clean Water for Developing Countries" by John A. Dracup, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Access to clean and safe water is a significant challenge in developing countries. According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), 780 million people do not have access to an improved water source. Also, an estimated 2.5 billion people lack access to improved sanitation (more than 35% of the world's population). This is a global concern. The Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) solved this problem to an extent. However, it's expected that this problem is laid to rest by 2030 as part of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Clean Water for Developing Countries by John A. Dracup provides a template that will facilitate the achievement of this lofty goal.

The first thing that endeared me to this book was the author's pedigree. He is someone I could call "an authority" in matters regarding clean water, sanitation, and hygiene. He has over fifty years of research and teaching experience in water resource engineering, hydrology, and clean water for developing countries at both the University of California, Los Angeles, and the University of California, Berkeley. He had also been a part of clean water projects in Kenya, Peru, Honduras, and Guatemala between 2011 and 2017. He sure has a wealth of experience under his belt. Anyone reading this book should rest assured that they're getting insights from one of the best guys in the field.

I was expecting a textbookish kind of book, and the book didn't disappoint. Most of the time, I felt like I was reading a chemistry textbook in preparation for an exam. However, the author's storytelling skills made the read worthwhile. I liked the way he started with a statement that triggered my emotions and imaginations. It set the right tone for the swell time I had reading the book. I thoroughly enjoyed the narrative.

What I liked most was the descriptive writing style the author adopted. He gave detailed explanations of every concept he discussed in this book. Though my foundation in the sciences gave me a massive advantage, a layperson won't struggle to flow with the book. There were definitions of technical terms and pictorial representations of the different subjects he discussed. The author made sure to carry me along in his thought flow. Additionally, the sequential arrangement of the chapters contributed immensely to the readability of this book. This was a well-thought-out book.

There was absolutely nothing I disliked about this book. Though it had a few grammatical errors, my reading flow was not affected negatively. Hence, I reckon the book was professionally edited. I rate it four out of four stars. This book would appeal more to anyone who wants to contribute their quota to better the lives of people in developing countries. However, I strongly recommend it to everyone.

Clean Water for Developing Countries
View: on Bookshelves
Free-man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-free-man.html
Latest Review: The Fat Lady's Low, Sad Song by Brian Kaufman

Post by Free-man »

This book gave me insight on the challenges faced by developing countries accessing clean water. Wonderful story and we'll written by the author. Also a nice review.
Ivona R
Currently Reading: Clean Water for Developing Countries
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivona-r.html
Latest Review: Restore Trust by Werner NEFF

Post by Ivona R »

This is the kind of book I'm looking for. I'm adding it to my wishlist. Thanks a lot for the detailed review.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

:D Wow! This is the type of book I'll love most- sounds like research book, textbook. I wish I'm oportuned to review it. Very nice review you've written.
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

This book sounds great. You did a great job.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:techie-studyinggray: Clean Water for Developing Countries by John A. Dracup provides a precedent for scientists in an effort to aid people in the accessibility of an improved water supply. Although chemical terms are explored, the language in this manuscript can be followed comprehensibly by persons without a background in Chemistry. This book is a valuable contribution to humanity as a whole as it provides indepth knowledge into water preservation, and by extension, the preservation of life. Excellent review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

I thought it would be boring from the title. After reading your review, I think it's an important book that deserves to be read. I have a science background too, so it shouldnt be a problem. Thank you so much for your review!
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

This is definitely an important topic, and it sounds like the author did a tremendous job of tackling it while also giving grace to us laymen who are unfamiliar with advanced chemistry. I love the idea of mixing together science with storytelling, as I’m sure that really helps the engagement factor. And his “pedigree,” as you mention, really does add to the authority of the text. Great review!
Samwisekoop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samwisekoop.html
Latest Review: Perfection and Other Illusive Things by J Mercer

Post by Samwisekoop »

The content covered in this book is really important! Though I do not like the "textbook-like" writing style, I still can't help but add it to my bookshelves! Thanks for your informative review!
"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." - Galadriel
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I'm a little bit familiar with the millennium goals, and I also believe that clean water is a problem worth conquering. This sounds like an interesting read, but maybe a little too much like a textbook for me. Thank you for your honest review!
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This is such an important issue and I'm glad to see books that can be used to educate others on the topic. Access to clean water is something that we should all have and I definitely think it's a cause that everyone can stand behind.
Thanks for the review!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I'll read this book over and over. Full of content, perfect delivery, easy understanding. Clean water remains an issue for developing countries. Glad it's being addressed.
skim4410
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by skim4410 »

Reading official review from "Clean Water for Developing Countries" is a important book. Talking about the importance about having clean water is very important in our lives. It is hard to live without having clean water. I think it's good to read this book which tells about importance of having water in countries.
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

The author has quite the resume! The book sounds like an extremely valuable read as well. Thank you for the review!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

I love that the book is an easy read in regards to a layman. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”