Official Review: Negotiation Hacks by Simon Rycraft

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Negotiation Hacks by Simon Rycraft

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Negotiation Hacks" by Simon Rycraft.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Negotiation Hacks: Expert Tactics to Get What You Want by Simon Rycraft is a nonfiction book about how negotiate more effectively, especially in a business setting. The author has organized the book into six chapters centered around six different “negotiation hacks” including nonverbal communication, the fundamentals of persuasion, preparing for a negotiation, and understanding different negotiation styles.

After reading this book, I find myself having mixed feelings on how to rate it. This is because I found that the author did a variety of things brilliantly while other areas of the book were lacking in polish or interest. The author does a great job of breaking down the ideas he is trying to convey. He integrates outside sources and explains how they relate to his point. He also summarizes the main points of each chapter at the end of it.

Each of these strategies provided clarity for the reader. However, the author also chose not to create clarity in other ways. For example, he uses a variety of business terms and acronyms which are not explained. He also tends to include very general advice rather than giving specific examples or scenarios, which would have helped me understand how to apply his advice. In addition, although the writing felt very polished and professional, the formatting had some issues. I found line breaks that did not belong, and there is a large chart in chapter four that was more confusing than clarifying for me as a reader.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because of the issues mentioned above. In addition, I didn’t feel that I could give this book four stars because I didn’t think there was enough original information in it, as I had heard the majority of the advice in the book from other sources before I read it. I chose to give the book three stars rather than two because I appreciated the author’s ability to explain his “hacks” and because he did include some examples and scenarios which made me think I could use his ideas effectively in negotiations.

I would recommend this book for any person looking to become a better negotiator. Although it doesn’t contain any inappropriate content, I wouldn’t recommend it for children simply because I don’t think the topic would interest very young readers. I especially think the book would be good for those in sales or for those who often have to negotiate with businesspeople.

Negotiation Hacks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

This is a very informative book, a must-read for anyone who wishes to improve his/her negotiation skills. Thanks for penning such a nice review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

A very good business book on negotiation strategy sounds interesting.As a business person,I am so much interested.Great review.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Negotiation Hacks!
Wow! I've really had problem negotiating but this book will be a perfect guide for me.
Thank you so much.
Jije2991
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jije2991.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jije2991 »

Negotiation is an art that can be applied beyond business. The broad information covered in this book will surely equip the readers with a lot to inform decision making before, during and after negotiations.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

This book sounds interesting. Negotiating tactics is something almost everyone could use help with. Unfortunately, with the formatting issues, it might be distracting. I will put this on my to-read list and see how it goes when I come to line breaks and the chart in chapter four. Thank you for the excellent review.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Sounds like an exciting read. This piece will help fast track my strategy and negotiating game. I look forward to enjoying this read just as you did. Nice review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like it could be better written with specific examples and expanding on situations. Thanks for an honest review.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html

Post by Dannyphery »

Thanks for the honest review...
The book seems quite interesting though.
BreathofFreshAriel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breathoffreshariel.html
Latest Review: The Survival of the Richest by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by BreathofFreshAriel »

Based on your review I don't think I'd be a good fit to read this. I really enjoy learning about the different methods humans come up with to deal with each other, but if the information was very general than I doubt I'd learn much that I don't know already. Thanks for the review
"We don't see things how they are, we see them as we are."
- Rabbi Shemuel ben Nachmani, as quoted in the Talmudic tractate Berakhot (55b.)
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html

Post by Sunday diamond »

That's life's lesson book also; teaching us business communication strategies.
But pathetic to hear that, the book is not unique enough in the information passed. Good job on your honest review.
Kim3434
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Kim3434 »

I feel that this will be a good book and it shows us how to improve in life on jobs
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I think that everyone and not just business owners will have a lot to gain from this book, especially the art of negotiating effectively.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

This sounds like an interesting book.
Being able to negotiate in business is a great tool for success.
Thanks for an insightful review
Shaffner
Currently Reading: Mindfulness in Plain English
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaffner.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Shaffner »

Jije2991 wrote: 11 May 2020, 12:23 Negotiation is an art that can be applied beyond business. The broad information covered in this book will surely equip the readers with a lot to inform decision making before, during and after negotiations.
Thanks for this comment, I am generally not a fan of lists of hacks, but ideas that can be applied more broadly into different arenas are certainly worth learning about

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”