Official Review: Identical Misfortune by Richard Zappa

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: Identical Misfortune by Richard Zappa

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Identical Misfortune" by Richard Zappa.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The role of genetics in antisocial personality disorder is explored in this utterly spellbinding crime drama/thriller by Richard Zappa. Identical Misfortune chronicles the musings and exploits of a calculating sociopath as she schemes and kills her way into the life she has always wanted, and the homicide detective who might be the only one that can stop her.

Veronica Lynn Westbrook’s only ambition in life is to be filthy rich, drive a Porsche, and live in a villa in the Swiss Alps. How she would achieve this did not really matter. Why should it? Veronica was a narcissistic, amoral sociopath with a high IQ, willing to do just about anything to get what she wants.

The discovery of a wealthy identical twin set in motion a diabolical plan that brings Veronica that much closer to the life she has always dreamed of. Ann Livingston, a kind and loving wife and mother, is her sister's polar opposite. Sadly, she makes the mistake of seeking out the twin she was separated from at birth with dire consequences. Veronica’s plan is simple: learn everything about Ann, kill Ann, become Ann.

This has to be one of the most intriguing books I’ve read this year. From the compelling plot and writing to the dialogue to the impressive character development, everything was top notch. The prologue was as shockingly captivating as it was memorable, setting the tone for what was to come without giving anything away. The nail-biting suspense only served to enhance the quality of the plot structure.

What I loved most about the book was how the author explored the role of genetics and upbringing in inherited mental disorder. According to the author, no one gene makes someone a sociopath, but numerous inherited genes make someone at risk of having an antisocial personality disorder. He also said the chances of someone being a sociopath increase significantly if both parents demonstrated the traits of one.

Veronica and Ann, identical twins separated at birth, were adopted and raised by different but equally loving and supportive parents. Yet, while Ann turned out to be a well-adjusted, kind, and productive member of society, Veronica started exhibiting antisocial personality disorder at a young age and grew to become a sociopath. It was later revealed that their biological parents were both psychotic, which was a contributing factor to how Veronica turned out. Nevertheless, the night and day difference between Veronica and Ann’s personalities was quite fascinating. It was clear that Veronica had moments where she sought to understand why she was the way she was, sometimes wondering if it was possible to turn a new leaf. The truth is she was a prisoner of her genes and inherent nature. She could change just as easily as a leopard could shed its spots.

The editing, like everything else about the book, was flawless, which leads me to believe it was done professionally. Even the cover art was well-thought-out and eye-catching. Identical Misfortune was a well-imagined and outstanding work of fiction worthy of the maximum rating of 4 out of 4 stars. The book ended on a startling cliff-hanger, and I eagerly look forward to the sequel. Crime drama/thriller enthusiasts are sure to enjoy this one.

Identical Misfortune
View: on Bookshelves
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Sounds like an interesting read. While Ann turned out well, Veronica didn't. Why will she want Ann dead? Such selfishness!. I'll find out more about this. Great review, well done.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Like Veronica, I'd like to be filthy rich too, but I am keen on doing the right thing to get my desires. Thanks for the amazing review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Interesting review , the rating is quite deserving.I just hope Veronicca doesn't kill her sister, there are still genuine ways to become wealthy.I need to read this book, really curious.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

Interesting.
The title gave it away already.
Thank you on an impressive review.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Such an intriguing plot with an eye-catching book cover. I hope Veronica's plan doesn't come to fruition, narcissists and sociopaths feel nothing for others. What a crazy combo she is. Can't wait to add this to my book shelf. All thanks to this awesome review.
Tristen_830
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tristen_830 »

The greed is very eye catching it makes me want to keep reading like wow someone is capable of doing somthing so horrific
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the sound of this book. It sounds eerily thrilling and I love the added layer of discovering a twin she didn't know she had. I will definitely add this one to my list. You have written a captivating review; thank you!
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

Oh wow, I like the premise and I like the suspense! This sounds like the kind of book I'd love to read at the beach (if I ever get to go to the beach again or whatever). Thank you for your review!
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Sounds like a pretty interesting read for me.
Thanks for the lovely review
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I hope both Veronica and Ann are alive and (relatively) well at the end of this story. I really enjoyed your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I'm intrigued to how the story ends. I hope there is some hope for Veronica to heal her state. I look forward to reading this book. Great job on your review!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The old nature vs. nurture conundrum always offers ideas for intriguing stories, in this case a thriller centered around mental issues. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Oh my goodness. This reminds me of a movie I watched sometime ago. I'll love to read this. I really hope that Veronica doesn't harm her sister. I'm scared of her already.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

The title and cover kind of gave away the twin aspect, at least to me, but one being a sociopath and the other well-adjusted is interesting. The information about the influence of genes is interesting as well. I hope Ann survives, but one never knows! I may have to read this to find out. Excellent review! Well done!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”