Official Review: Sons of the Red Dragon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Official Review: Sons of the Red Dragon

Post by Juliet+1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sons of the Red Dragon" by Mardi Lynn Roselius.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It all began on the night that George Hu consumed too much beer. Drunk and depressed, he complained bitterly to a friend about the demands of his family's membership in a secret program requiring loyalty to China and its Communist Party. Unfortunately, George's friend was also a close friend of Curtis Beecham, a freelance writer who aspired to write a best-selling novel. Curtis thought George's situation would make a terrific plot for his book.

A publisher in New York City liked the novel that Curtis wrote but first checked the plot's plausibility with a colleague at China Gate Publishing. Alas, this colleague was an informer for Lin Fongveh, an agent for China's Ministry of State Security (MSS). Lin Fongveh shared what he had learned with Deng Qin, the MSS agent in Seattle. Unaware that one of his local contacts was supplying information about MSS activities to the FBI, Deng Qin set out to prevent publication of the book.

By the time this network of friendships, contacts, and informers finished its work, Curtis was on the run from both Chinese and FBI agents, struggling to understand who was chasing him and why. Deaths and disappearances ensued as Curtis teamed up with George's sister to find her missing brother, put a stop to the exploits of the MSS spies, and stay clear of the FBI agents.

One of the best elements of Sons of the Red Dragon is its robust sense of place. Although it begins in China, the story quickly moves to Seattle, a major port for shipping between Asia and North America and home to the Hu family as well as many other Chinese immigrants. Readers can experience living aboard a houseboat on Lake Union, escaping attackers on Bainbridge Island, finding clues in a downtown warehouse, breaking into a container terminal, and other similarly exhilarating waterfront activities.

Another outstanding feature is the dexterity with which the author, Mardi Lynn Roselius, weaves together the many plot threads of this exciting thriller. Curtis Beecham provides much of the narration, but most of the other main characters also participate in telling the story, each in his or her own unique style. The author shifts deftly among the various points of view, allowing the reader to know exactly what is happening and why. The pacing, too, is excellent, building gradually as each new character comes on stage, then picking up speed.

There is much to like and nothing to dislike about Sons of the Red Dragon. It is well edited and has everything a fan of spy novels could want: suspense, action, plot twists, intriguing characters, and a wonderful setting. For this reason, it merits four out of four stars. Anyone who appreciates exciting adventure stories would enjoy this book. However, readers sensitive to erotic material might wish to be cautious. In one scene, the performance of a transvestite stripper is described at length and in vivid detail.

Sons of the Red Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like a really fun and engaging book to read. I love books filled with adventure and action, they make reading so much more enjoyable.
Thanks for the review!
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

I'm a big fan of spy novels and Sons of the Red Dragon sounds like a sure read for me. A pairing of suspense, plot twists and action says it all for me. Excellent review.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems an intriguing spy thriller. To be honest, I could do without a transvestite stripper, but if the novel is good it's no big deal. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Wow! This is very intriguing. It will be a fun read for me. A wonderful review you have here.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Haven’t read much of spy novels, but this seems convincingly a fun read. Love the author’s use of various setting. Good review.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This sounds like an interesting story but I'm not into spy novels. Also, the erotic content is not my cup of tea. either. Thanks for the excellent review!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

The plot of this book sounds rather peculiar and captivating. Great review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by geebeex »

This sounds like such an original and exciting novel! I'm really looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the great review.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

From your review, the book has a lot of thrills and frills. This can make an enjoyable read. Thanks for the job well done.
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

An engaging review! I loved the slight humor of the first line to draw us in. The initial premise of a friend writing a book based on his friend's inebriated reveal of a secret organization sounds super clever and original. And it seems like it doesn't stop there. Sounds like an exciting book with many plot twists and connections to various topics.
Lovehard246
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lovehard246 »

This really had my attention, lots of thrills,I love spy novels
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

seems like a entertaining read but I'm gonna pass. Great review .
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love to try a spy novel from time to time and this one definitely has it all with all the plot twists and turns :) Thank you for a great review!
Lulu nampy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lulu nampy »

The review is awesome I have not read the book yet ,but am interested now..

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”