Official Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Official Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by kmittag67 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Unexpected Enemy" by Tim Cagle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle is an amazingly creative, fast-paced novel with surprising twists and turns. It is packed with suspense and intrigue.

Ann and Steven Sorenson are a couple who has been told repeatedly that Ann will never be able to conceive a child. They go to a fertility clinic that specializes in difficult cases, and Ann undergoes in vitro fertilization and becomes pregnant. They are waiting blissfully for their baby to be born. At eight months, the baby is born prematurely with major complications that project the story into overdrive. The parents, doctors, and hospital staff are thrown into a surprising turn of events, as it is evident that somehow a mistake has been made. The baby born to Ann and Steven Sorenson can not possibly be their child. The couple begins the process of litigation.

Erica Payne is the lawyer representing Ann and Steven, and David Whitney is the lawyer for Dr. Harlow and the fertility clinic. The story steadily progresses as the competent and efficient lawyers and their employees research everyone’s backgrounds and activities looking for clues to discover how the mix up happened. Other characters who help to move the plot along are Dr. Harlow’s wife and her powerful father, Dr. Harlow’s son, and Ann’s best friend. Deception, personality traits, and past actions become the key elements, as the characters’ lives are portrayed with their various relationships, family members, and events. Digging deep into everyone’s lives for answers and justice, the lawyers and their staff are relentless in their research. The author cleverly interweaves the exploits of the characters, past and present, bringing everything together for the novel’s ending.

Unexpected Enemy was an engaging novel. After reading only twenty pages, I did not want to put it down. I was captivated and eager to see what comes next. One of my favorite aspects was how the author provided humor and realism in the way the senator from Boston spoke with a pronounced Boston accent. For example, “I must say this entyah business is quite disturbing,” and, “During his last yeah in college.” I smiled every time I read one of the senator’s embellished words.

I especially liked the novel’s characters. I would be hard-pressed to choose just one character that I liked the most. All characters are well-developed and complicated with strong personalities. I felt each unique character had a major purpose of their own. They were complex and intense with new information being presented often. Ann and Steven are an engaging couple whose lives have been turned upside down. The lawyers, working day and night, are determined and persistent in their endeavors to discover the truth.

There is nothing that I disliked about this novel. I love how the author thinks! His creative mind and writing style is awesome. There are many facets to the story, and I enjoyed them all. Just when I thought I had everything figured out, something new would be revealed, keeping me in suspense until the end. It was a delight to read Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle.

The novel contains only a few words of profanity when Ann and Steven are extremely upset and voicing their opinions. This book has been professionally edited, as I found only one typing error. It is my pleasure to give Unexpected Enemy a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a remarkably well-crafted novel, and appropriate for everyone over the age of 16 who enjoys suspense, intrigue, and lots of surprises.

Unexpected Enemy
View: on Bookshelves
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like crime novels that invite the reader into the story to partake in the sleuthing. Based on your review, I suppose this is one such book. The plot sounds very intriguing. Thanks for the recommendation.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Whoa! This will definitely hold any reader to ransom. Very intriguing I must say. I will look it up. Thank you.
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Wow this is a sure read. It sounds really captivating. I would like to find out what happened. Whose baby was it. How did they make a mistake... Was it a mistake?
Lovely review. Thanks
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

The author's mastery to create an image for it to look relatable is what I love most. I must commend the gradual character development that is top-notch. Thank you for this review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

An intriguing mystery made even more interesting by well-developed characters. I can't help wondering what they could discover behind the premise. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Wow!this storyline is so interesting. Imagine carrying a child for 8months, with pain and complications, and you are now told, the baby is not yours, sounds devastating. This is a very expensive mistake. Adding to my list. I applaud your review.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

This sounds like a story with a good plot. The level of suspense employed by the author makes it even better. The fact that you did not dislike any part of the book says a lot about the book. I look forward to reading. Thanks for this excellent review.
Nena mehzz
Favorite Book: The Sun is Also a Star
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-mehzz.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nena mehzz »

I must admit the author has created a completely different situation that would keep reader interested and the fact that the author had created characters that have strong personality from your review provides a strong base for the story, I look forward to reading the book.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The review has really shown that this novel is a must read. A suspense filled detective setting is a good read anytime. I should pick this one up as soon as possible. Nice review.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

Normally I don't read story book, but from this review, this book worth my read. Good job for your thorough review
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

Will be sure to check it out! Great review 🌸
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

Reading accents is always entertaining. I love it. Great review! It caught my attention.
Shanaian
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanaian.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Shanaian »

Unexpected Enemy. First chapters felt like a thrilling fast paced drama. My hands itched for popcorn :D I liked how subtle the author ntroduced the characters and the plot. So much happened in the first few pages but my mind didn't feel bombarded with too much information. Ann's pain anguish and betrayal was palpable. Can't keep the book down.
Karishma Sivnath
Favorite Book: Unexpected Enemy
Currently Reading: Walking Disaster
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karishma-sivnath.html
Latest Review: Unexpected Enemy by Tim Cagle

Post by Karishma Sivnath »

I read the book and I definitely agree with the 4 star rating! It was an excellent book and your review was spot on!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”