Official Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Heaven's Call" by Roger Dawson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many of us have gone through the death of a loved one. The crushing pain of grief can be unbearable as one tries to go on living, knowing that someone we cared about is now gone. It can feel like a black void where no words or actions can shift us back to what we thought was normal. That is the experience of this author, who went through two very unexpected deaths of young men and how he had to deal with it. In his book, Heaven's Call, Roger Dawson recounts the loss of family members and the astonishing revelation that the spiritual realm can communicate across the heavenly divide.

The book gives background information about Mr. Dawson's career as a social worker who compassionately cared for troubled youth. He was on the cutting edge of a new organization, Youth Services Agency (YSA), formed in the 1970s to promote community-based programs instead of institutionalization for kids in need of help.

Under his care, he implemented a new approach to reach the hearts of young, troubled souls by way of outdoor adventures such as camping and hiking. His childhood was wrought with dysfunction, but his participation in Boy Scouts and being in nature was a healing reprieve. He applied this concept with great success. He believes that if a person is introduced to a constructive pursuit, destructive behaviors will decrease and fall to the wayside.

As a man whose life work was to provide counseling and hands-on help to the emotionally afflicted, he found himself at rock bottom when his son Zach died from addiction. What followed was a series of paranormal encounters that brought comfort not only to him but the entire family.

What I liked most about the book was the section that focused on the scientific angle of the unseen realm, namely quantum physics and frequencies. This material isn't too technical or advanced for the average reader to grasp and gives insight into why people have phenomena occur that they can't always explain. It took away some of the mystique that seems to surround the topic, which may make it more appealing to doubters.

Also, I resonated with the supernatural events explained in this as I have had similar situations happen. I felt a connection of sorts with what I was reading and often thought to myself, "Yes, I have had that happen to me as well." When the author stated that he didn't care if people believed him or not, I wholeheartedly agreed. These personal visitations are sometimes only understood by those who have been a witness to them.

While I thoroughly enjoyed all that was shared, this contains too many flaws. With the need for some professional proofreading and editing, I am awarding this 2 out of 4. This PDF seems to be the beginning of a series of writings and is in rough draft form. So, my rating should not be taken in disappointment, but rather as motivation to clean this up and keep writing down what is occurring. A spelling and grammar checker should be utilized going forward, and later as more material manifests, a professional editor should be employed to do a thorough job. A polished book could be ready for the market, I believe, in a short time.

The reason for all the fuss over the writing is that readers will feel that what is stated is more credible when proper grammar and punctuation are in place. That may sound shallow, but many are skeptical about the idea of spirits to begin with, so to couple that with a poorly written manuscript would mean defeat. It will serve as a better presentation of a subject that is already under extreme scrutiny.

For those who are looking for comfort following a death, this book would be a great resource once it's in better shape. Also, this may be of interest to anyone who likes discussions about scientific explanations linked to spirituality. This probably would appeal least to those who follow strict religious guidelines that forbid the interaction between the living and those who have passed away.

Heaven's Call
View: on Bookshelves
Everything happens for a reason...
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Thank god, Im not going through that phase. I hope the book will help readers dealing with the loss of their loved ones. It would be great if the author takes your suggestions regarding the editing.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Death is not easy to deal with. At least he is sharing his experiences and the book can help others. Thank you for this review!
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Losing a loved one can be very devastating. This book would be helpful to people who are bereaved regardless of the errors. Thanks.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The loss of loved ones aside, I'm particularly intrigued by the author's philosophy that if you introduce someone into a constructive pursuit, negative behaviour will decrease and eventually varnished. A well-detailed review.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Although what I expected from the title isn't what I got. I still enjoyed the review, following the approach taken by the man to reach hearts of young troubled souls. Also some scientific explanation linked to spirituality. Thanks for the review
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

What a Good book this sounds but it's pathetic hearing that it has many typos for not professionally edited. Good on your review.
Edwin Amah
Currently Reading: Mug the Wumph the Dancing Wizard
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edwin-amah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Edwin Amah »

The loss of a loved one can be really devastating. I have experienced something similar so I understand how it feels. Reading this book can always make anyone going through this situation sail through. Apart from the errors the reviewer pointed out, it is still a nice work from the author.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I also experienced an encounter with loved ones who had passed away. This is an interesting topic, and the scientific component will no doubt be beneficial. Your points on the quality of presentation are well taken; I truly enjoyed your review! :balloon:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

I agree with the author on the fact stated that introducing someone to a constructive pursuit decreases negative behavior. I hope the errors noted have been corrected. Thanks for the review.
Maltida Jane
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maltida-jane.html
Latest Review: The Second Eve by Bette Boersma

Post by Maltida Jane »

Death is definitely not an easy deal for real. Who ever is going through that phase I hope God strengthen Their heart. Not my type of book tho but it’s a nice review kudos to the reviewer.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”