Review by Magnify3 -- No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review by Magnify3 -- No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Magnify3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "No Dark Clouds" by R W Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The daily lives of six beggar children on the streets of Jerusalem include being driven to their respective begging stations on an ox-drawn cart by their owner known as Taskmaster. The children known as Aditya, Baa-Foo, Scooter, Figs, Rebekah and Baby each have a disability. They must beg for coins that will not only be taken away but the lack of which will result in no meals. Enter the nameless streetwise, scar-faced, beggar boy, who has no master and not only begs but steals to survive. One encounter out of the ordinary with an old lady almsgiver leads beggar boy to help two of the Taskmasters slaves. This begins a long-lasting friendship. Beggar boy takes Aditya and Figs to his home to escape their owner. Since Figs is sick, Beggar boy and Aditya find a way to steal goat's milk for him to drink. As their plan unfolds a group of Jewish zealots led by Barabbas are staging an ambush to kill some Roman soldiers. Beggar boy saves the life of Leonidas the centurion who later employs him. As a result of living in the Roman garrison Beggar boy soon learns of how Jesus healed the servant of another Centurion named Darius. Added to the fact that two of his beggar children friends have been healed by Jesus, he now begins a quest to meet Jesus so that he can be healed of his scars. Will he get to Jesus in time before the crucifixion? Will he always be a nameless boy? Do the beggar children remain beggars forever?

No Dark Clouds by R.W. Nelson is a historical Christian fiction novel. As noted on its cover it is a tale of the Christ. It is a story of love, hope, forgiveness, healing and salvation. The author is an ordained minister who has written numerous laymen Bible College Courses including: Spiritual warfare, Old Testament Survey, New Testament Survey andThe Minor Prophets.

Beggar boy is friendly, caring and has a big heart. He easily takes up the role of a big brother to the Taskmasters group of beggar children. He easily gets into fights with anyone who mocks him because of the scars on his face. Aditya has a beautiful singing voice and plays mother figure to the younger beggar children. Leonidas is a proud centurion of the Roman Empire who has been promoted to the position of Tribune. He believes in order and his duty. Darius who is also a Roman centurion has leanings towards the Jewish faith and has great respect for Jesus.

The narrative is in the third person. The writing is clear, descriptive and readable. The story is very appealing and pulled me in from the beginning. The book is 314 pages long and has 21 chapters. At the end of the story is an educational study guide to help the reader's interest in scriptural knowledge and biblical events. These include topics like the Ministry of Angels, The names of God and The miracles of Jesus to name a few.

What I appealed to me about the book was the engaging storyline. I also liked the insight into both Pilate and Barabbas. The book gave the feeling that there was a sequel to be expected especially after reading the prologue and of Barabbas release. There are lessons on bitterness and forgiveness to be learnt from Beggar boy. It was also good to learn about the myrrh tree.

The book appears to be professionally edited. I noted only three errors. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to all who enjoy reading Christian literature. As the book is not written in a preachy style it would also appeal to those who are not into reading Christian books but are curious enough to try.

No Dark Clouds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoy these stories that add a different perspective to familiar stories. I like the way you described the characters and the different themes that are highlighted in the book. The study guide is a great idea! Thanks for the insightful review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 22:02 I enjoy these stories that add a different perspective to familiar stories. I like the way you described the characters and the different themes that are highlighted in the book. The study guide is a great idea! Thanks for the insightful review.
A child's perspective does help one see the Easter story in a light doesn't it. Thanks for your kind words!
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I love the book already. Thanks for a great review. I would enjoy reading about the children's liberation from the taskmaster. Beggar boy seems like an interesting character I would love to read about. Thanks again
Fabian
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

I am usually a fan of books that tells tales of the simplicity and meekness of the life of Christ. I will read this book when I have the chance. Excellent review.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

FABIAN_BATS wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 08:06 I love the book already. Thanks for a great review. I would enjoy reading about the children's liberation from the taskmaster. Beggar boy seems like an interesting character I would love to read about. Thanks again
So glad that you love the book already! Beggar boy is really an interesting character. Thanks for the comments!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

JKO wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 05:32 I am usually a fan of books that tells tales of the simplicity and meekness of the life of Christ. I will read this book when I have the chance. Excellent review.
I am certain that you will enjoy it. Thank you so much for taking time to read my review.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

This does sound like an engaging story! Seeing the Biblical story through the eyes of orphaned children makes for a compelling read. Trying to get to Jesus for help before the crucifixion must create some suspense in this novel as well. Thanks for the great review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 19:42 This does sound like an engaging story! Seeing the Biblical story through the eyes of orphaned children makes for a compelling read. Trying to get to Jesus for help before the crucifixion must create some suspense in this novel as well. Thanks for the great review!
Definitely a compelling read and yes there is suspense. I hope that you do get to read it! Thanks for commenting!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a fascinating historical fiction. Beggar boy sounds like a wonderful child who goes out of his way to help others. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

Prisallen wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 08:31 This sounds like a fascinating historical fiction. Beggar boy sounds like a wonderful child who goes out of his way to help others. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Beggar boy is certainly a wonderful child. Thanks so much for reading my review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

This sounds like a unique plotline, one that fans of Christian literature will definitely enjoy. I'm glad it was well-written as well. Great review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:

Post by Magnify3 »

unamilagra wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 18:00 This sounds like a unique plotline, one that fans of Christian literature will definitely enjoy. I'm glad it was well-written as well. Great review!
It definitely is a unique plotline. Most plotlines are about the Centurion. Thank you so much for your comments!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read this one as well. It appealed to me. I definitely enjoyed the message that it portrayed. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A historical fiction written arround the Jesus Christ. Sounds interesting. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”