Official Review: The Sound of Sirens by Mitchell G Kuhn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: The Sound of Sirens by Mitchell G Kuhn

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sound of Sirens" by Mitchell G Kuhn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sounds of Sirens by Mitchell G. Kuhn is a fiction book that tells a tale of a couple, as they try to find a suitable home to spend their remaining days after retirement. Helen Chandler wants to move to an active adult retirement community, where she would have an improved social life. Mike, her husband, doesn’t want that, as he sees it as a step closer to the grave. He finds solace in watching television. Helen gets Mike to grudgingly agree to take a tour at some adult communities alongside her.

Mike is completely set against this move and finds objections to every community they visit. With perfect timing, he makes humorous but strategic statements to each sales agent, to manipulate Helen into being uninterested in any property. This is reflected in his thoughts at one of the communities they visited, “As they walked through each of the homes, each of the rooms, and each of the massive walk-in closets, I followed behind…Not like a puppy dog trailing its master, but rather as a tiger waiting for the proper time to snare its prey.” Can Helen get Mike to change his mind? Can they find common ground?

I was skeptical about reading this book at first, as I thought to myself, “what could be interesting about the life of retirees?” Boy, I sure found out! I was extremely happy that I picked up this book in the end. The author put together a masterpiece. I was happy to see that the elements of each community which the couple visited were described exhaustively. It almost felt like I was on the tour with them, as I could picture exactly what each community looked like. I was also pleased that the editor did a great job. This book was completely devoid of grammatical or typographical errors. As a result, my reading flow was maintained throughout the book.

I was also happy to see the relationship between Mike and Helen. The feuds they had made the story very realistic. Even if I wasn’t told they were a couple, I would have inferred it. This showed how well the author developed their characters. I was especially drawn to the character of Mike. The story was told from his eyes. I found him to be very humorous in his statements, especially in his frequent use of sarcasm. It was refreshing, as I had a lot of good laughs while I read. I also like that the reader can draw valuable lessons on what to look out for when selecting a home.

There was absolutely nothing to hate about this book. I enjoyed reading it. I could not take my eye off the pages, until the last page. In addition to how professionally written it was, the story was very original. As a result, I have the pleasure of rating The Sounds of Sirens 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for people interested in fiction stories, as well as recent retirees.

The Sound of Sirens
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

It does sound like an interesting book. Great review!
Ukxvi umar
Currently Reading: Magic Tree House
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Ukxvi umar »

Helen cant change Mike's mind and they will never find a common ground.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I'm interested in the character of Mike already. I'd really love to follow up with the feud of the couple and the constant rejection from Mike. Also, I would like to know if they eventually found a common ground. Thanks for the honest review.
snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

A book about retirees and their search for a suitable home in different communities. Seems like a simple and realistic story, and through the author's remarkable characterization and writing, the book is made into an interesting read. Thank you for your well-written review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

The book sounds like an interesting read about ending one chapter and beginning another as the couple chooses to move to a retirement community. Great review!
Itsmanda
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Itsmanda »

I find the title interesting as it captivates the reader to want to know what befalls the desire to want to know where Helen and her husband will move to
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I don't really blame Mike for his attempts to spoil their relocation plan, I actually applaud him for accepting his wife's idea, it shows he cares about her happiness.It Is a good book to read.Great review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Awww, this is beautiful. Mike and his wife will be fun to be with. Can't wait to check this book out. Thank you.
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I always enjoy books where the characters have a good handle on sarcasm. I hope they managed to find a home they both enjoyed in the end. Thanks for a great review!
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Great review. When a man loves a woman dearly, retired or not, he'll oblige her of whatever she wants, regardless his he feels. I'd like to find out more about Mike. I like his persona. Detailed review, thank you.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Just like you, I wouldn't really be attracted towards a book that revolves around retirees. However, I'm glad that the author is up to the task in creating an interesting story.
Nice review!
Bet on Me! :idea:
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

It amazes me to see that the authors' creativities are boundless. A book about retirees??
Your review certainly makes me want to read it.
Congrats!
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”