Official Review: The Second Adventures of Thelma Thistle ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: The Second Adventures of Thelma Thistle ...

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Second Adventures of Thelma Thistle and Her Friends" by Joyce Jrawford.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Second Adventures of Thelma Thistle and Her Friends by Joyce Crawford is the second chapter book in this children’s series. Thelma is a little thistle plant who can’t run around like her friends. When they meet a new, and especially mobile, friend named Cory Crow, Thelma becomes jealous of his new relationship with her friend Bunny. Thelma must learn to overcome her jealousy and accept Cory into her friend group so that they can all have fun together.

This book was clearly written with its target audience of children in mind. The author includes a variety of helpful tools for new readers. For example, there is a glossary at the end of the book with definitions of more difficult words and example sentences showing how they were used in the book. The author also includes a list of emotions explored in the book, which would be useful for discussion between a parent and child.

Although I enjoyed these elements of the book, there were other elements that I found less enjoyable. Unlike the written text, the illustrations did not seem very professional. The text seemed to have been thoroughly edited, as I didn't find any errors, but the pictures in the book almost looked like they were done with clip art, as different faces were superimposed over a cartoon thistle plant to represent Thelma.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I appreciated how the author tried to include different elements like the glossary to help new readers, and it was fun to read about Thelma’s adventures. However, the pictures didn’t look professional. Additionally, the dialogue for Cory Crow includes many difficult words and complex concepts, which aren’t explained well in the story. Because of these issues, I chose to remove two stars.

I would recommend this book for kids ages six to nine, though beginning readers will likely need help with Cory Crow’s dialogue. If your child is advancing to chapter books and doesn’t place much emphasis on the illustrations in stories, this could be a fun book for them.

The Second Adventures of Thelma Thistle and Her Friends
View: on Bookshelves
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

I appreciate the glossary, but the pictures that didn't look professional could be a problem. Thanks for the honest review.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The cover page grabbed my attention. Illustrations are so important for children's book. Unfortunately, they are a minus point in this book. Thank you for your review!
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Moving away from the negatives, this books will serve as useful teacher for children. To the best of my knowledge, it's aimed at character building.
Cristoll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cristoll »

This book is n good teacher every child must read it i think we as adults who read this book fond the child in us or thats just my though.very nice book
Cristoll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Cristoll »

It sounds like a good book wil read it to find the story behind the story

Return to “Children's Books”