Official Review: A Christmas Love Story: Nicholas Nutcrac...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Official Review: A Christmas Love Story: Nicholas Nutcrac...

Post by ALynnPowers »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Christmas Love Story: Nicholas Nutcracker & Brittany Ballerina" by Maureen McCabe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Christmas Love Story: Nicholas Nutcracker & Brittany Ballerina is a holiday children's book by Maureen McCabe that tells the story of two lonely Christmas ornaments looking for their true love. Nicholas Nutcracker, a retired toy soldier, and Brittany Ballerina, a world-renowned dancer, have been in their respective boxes for a whole year, and they are each hoping to find their true love when Christmas comes back around. When it comes time to be placed on the Christmas tree again, location is everything. Are the two truly destined to be together?

This children's book is short and simple, and it would be great for parents to read to children as young as age 3 or 4. Stronger readers would be able to read it independently, with perhaps a little help from their parents to explain some of the more difficult words. There is also a cute little glossary in the back of the book to define some of the words, such as “marketing strategy” and the French words for ballet terms that come up in the description of Brittany Ballerina.

Some people might be turned off by a book that includes a glossary because it appears “too hard” for their children, but as a parent and teacher, I personally love it. Any time you can introduce a new word to a child in an appropriate and entertaining context, you should. This book provided a few great opportunities to introduce children to new words such as “anticipation” and “pirouette.” I also thought it was cute that the word “tutu” was included in the glossary's list of ballet terms; I can imagine lots of little girls being absolutely thrilled that they already knew the meaning of one of the “hard” words in the work.

The story is accompanied by beautiful, hand-drawn illustrations; the illustrator is credited as Anastasiia Khmelevska. I thought the illustrations were absolutely adorable and perfectly fit with the gentle tone of the book. There was one page that perhaps had a little too much empty white space, but I am being way too nit-picky if that is the only thing I can find wrong in the book.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to parents who are looking for a unique Christmas story. I definitely feel like this is a story that can grow with a child and be just as enjoyable at age 12 as it is at age 5. The writing, illustrations, and editing are all impeccable. I should also mention that there aren't really any religious references in this book, other than it being Christmas. Of course, it is still a Christmas book, so those who do not celebrate Christmas might not enjoy it as much.

A Christmas Love Story: Nicholas Nutcracker & Brittany Ballerina
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

The book sounds utterly adorable; I'm certain most children will get a kick out of it. Thanks for the review.
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This book sounds like a fun book for kids. I also like the glossary element. I think that it's a great way to expand upon a child's vocabulary.
Thanks for the review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

This book sounds like a lot of fun for young children. Beautiful review
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

This book is definitely for kids and I am sure they would enjoy it as well as learn new words. Adding the glossary was a good idea. Nice review.
Joyce06
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joyce06 »

Thisnook is very interesting and every kids would love to read on this. It gives more ideas.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

A children book about love sounds beautiful! Thanks for the great review!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

The mere concept of the view made me awe. It seems adorable! Thanks for the review!
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Such a beautiful concept to imagine that things have feelings too. I have a nutcracker ornament of my own which I simply love. I will remember this review when I am decorating my Christmas tree next Christmas.
Mln

Post by Mln »

This book is interesting as it show children that Christmas comes with a lot of love. Kids would really love this book
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

What a cute story! I hope the nutcracker and the ballerina get put together every Christmas. Thanks for the great review!
Nadia Anwar Lari
Currently Reading: Truth or Dare
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Nadia Anwar Lari »

It is a lovely concept that children would like to invest their time and attention in and would enjoy reading it .Really a beautiful story.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

What a heartwarming story for Christmas. I loved your recommendation that this is a book that can follow children through the years. It sounds like a story you would read over and over again - every Christmas. This looks good! Thanks.
Cidney1_

Post by Cidney1_ »

This book is most definitely for kids and I am sure they would really love it as well as learning new words
osagiefa
Currently Reading:

Post by osagiefa »

This book will be a good book for kids it will help them build their vocabulary and seems fun which they love.

Return to “Children's Books”