Official Review: Woman In Scarlet by Karen L. Adams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Official Review: Woman In Scarlet by Karen L. Adams

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Woman In Scarlet" by Karen L. Adams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 1970s were a time of activism and change; women wanted equal opportunities, and the world was about to see significant changes. Karen, a then 22-year-old aspiring RCMP officer’s dreams were coming to fruition. Woman In Scarlet by Karen L. Adams is an inspirational memoir that follows the author as she becomes one of the first females to be accepted into the RCMP. From an ambitious but scared young woman to a seasoned officer and teacher, Karen shares her successes and setbacks from her career as a mountie.

As someone highly interested in women’s studies, this book immediately piqued my interest, and I was quickly captivated by Karen’s story. Excitement aside, as one could imagine becoming one of the first female officers came with its share of obstacles. While Karen had a supportive family and friends, many others were resistant to this change. Throughout her career, but especially in the beginning, Karen dealt with issues such as lack of acceptance from the public, sexual harassment, and the plight of being a single mother.

One of my favorite things about the book was Karen’s unrelenting drive. While she faced her fair share of hardship and discrimination, she didn’t crumble under pressure, and never veered off course—always kept her eyes on the prize. During her first posting in Thompson, Manitoba, she was continually sexually assaulted by a corporal. Not only did she feel ashamed and angry, but in many ways, she felt as though she could not speak out about the assault out of fear of losing her job. She also faced some backlash from the community as many people were unaccustomed to a female officer. These were just a few of the many challenges that she faced throughout her career. Still, she remained steadfast in her belief that by enduring the difficulties and preserving, she would soon be able to enjoy the fruits of her labor.

Another thing that I adored about the book was Karen’s sense of humor; her unique stories always had me laughing. Some of her funniest experiences came from her time at the training facility in Regina. Her group of women recruits, Troop 17, were often frustrated at being treated differently than their male counterparts. Karen confesses how the group of women orchestrated a memorable march for their drill sergeant when they tied bells to the bottom of their boots. This was in response to their feelings that the female mountie uniform paled in comparison to the male outfit. Other funny tidbits included a surprise invasion of the male quarters and the shocking way she showed Cpl. Fisher how she could fight off an attacker in the water.

While I adored the book, for the most part, there were a couple of things that irked me. I wasn’t particularly fond of the author’s use of quotes. While I appreciated the sentiment, I feel that they could have been more effective if used at the beginning of each chapter rather than randomly placed within the text. This may be a matter of personal preference, but I did find them quite distracting. I also found that the book’s timeline was confusing at times, particularly concerning Karen’s personal and family life, and it jumped back and forth, leaving some holes in the storyline.

The book was professionally edited, and I was impressed by the lack of errors. I chose to give the book a rating of three out of four stars; I deducted one star due to the issues mentioned above, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

For readers interested in a career in law or policing, I would recommend Woman In Scarlet. The book provides a detailed history of how women broke through barriers and fought for their opportunity to be RCMP officers. Karen was indeed a trailblazer who paved the way for equality in the police force.

Woman In Scarlet
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

While I'm not the right audience for this book, it sounds like an inspirational read. I hope the author considers restructuring, with your sentiments in mind. Thanks for the review!
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

In as much as I think I am not the right audience for this book, I believe this book would be a great read. It's plot appears to be an interesting one especially as it centred on the story of Karen, a woman who set herself as an example and an inspiration to women. Thanks for the review.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Hahaha. Oh my God! Bells hitched to their boots? I can imagine the deafening sounds.

This travail of Kate still has a reflection on today's world. In many climes, the people are still resistant to women being more than dainty tailors and kitchen hands. So, the story resonates.

I'm also of the opinion that women deserve as much as the men, not because of their gender, but because they are qualified for the position or item. So, I'm impressed that Kate was a formidable officer.

I also advise that the book be edited, because such beautiful story deserves to be read. I'll pass, and thank you for a beautiful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth

Adanna Inya wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 05:16 Hahaha. Oh my God! Bells hitched to their boots? I can imagine the deafening sounds.

This travail of Kate still has a reflection on today's world. In many climes, the people are still resistant to women being more than dainty tailors and kitchen hands. So, the story resonates.

I'm also of the opinion that women deserve as much as the men, not because of their gender, but because they are qualified for the position or item. So, I'm impressed that Kate was a formidable officer.

I also advise that the book be edited, because such beautiful story deserves to be read. I'll pass, and thank you for a beautiful review.
Thanks for your thoughtful comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Ever_Reading wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 01:31 While I'm not the right audience for this book, it sounds like an inspirational read. I hope the author considers restructuring, with your sentiments in mind. Thanks for the review!
Thank you.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like an interesting book written by an inspiring and determined woman. I really appreciate her for everything she achieved. Thanks for the great review!
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

Wow. This is definitely a must read for me. Apart from the fact that I love memoirs of great women, it talked about facing and conquering challenges while trying to make a mark. I love this one.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

This book is definitely one that I want to read! I find Karens story as inspirational and love the example she set for other women, especially those who are wanting to succeed in law enforcement. Would love to read this book! Thanks for a great review!
Stephanie Elizabeth

Deprise Evans wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 20:28 This book is definitely one that I want to read! I find Karens story as inspirational and love the example she set for other women, especially those who are wanting to succeed in law enforcement. Would love to read this book! Thanks for a great review!
Thanks for your comment!
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I think this book does a lot to the cause of women empowerment and I look forward to reading it. Thanks for the insightful review.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

A memoir about a woman who had to face and conquer various challenges in her career is fascinating. I'd love to read this, what an inspiration. Thanks for the beautiful review.
booksandmagicshop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksandmagicshop.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by booksandmagicshop »

I love that the author was willing to provide her story. I think it's empowering to women everywhere and so inspiring! Humor is always a plus in memoirs as well! Thank you for the review!
“The magical time is coming. Come to the Magic Shop.
Now, take off your mask and open your eyes.”

- BTS
Rachel_Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by Rachel_Emmanuel »

I am fiercely in love with the author right now. Women doing anything, anything way possible to have a say in a male dominated society where they are relegated as "baby pushers" and "kitchen slayers". I am encourage to fight more as a single mom with the information from this book. I am encouraged to do more than I was with the story portrayed in the book.
#RecordBreaker
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Determination,consistency and perseverance enables someone to reach a particular goal despite the obstacles.This book is an inspiration to the above listed.Nice review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”