Official Review: I Am Awesome! by Ryan K. Maule

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: I Am Awesome! by Ryan K. Maule

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Am Awesome!" by Ryan K. Maule.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Am Awesome by Ryan K. Maule is a children’s picture book about having self-confidence. Grace and Zeal are two of the inventor’s creations who live in Goodland. Whenever one invention asks another how they are doing, they always reply, “I am good!” One day, Grace and Zeal meet Hope, a new invention, and they ask, “How are you today?” When Hope responds, “I am awesome!”, the two inventions are confused. They rush to ask the inventor if Hope’s response is a mistake, or if they might, in fact, be awesome.

This is a beautiful book with a fun, simple story. I liked the straightforward nature of the lesson, which teaches that, because we are made in God’s image, we are awesome like He is. The author doesn’t over-explain this point, choosing instead to use the inventor as a symbol for God and the inventions as representations of us. The message is clear without being cheesy, and I could see lots of children enjoying this book.

I don’t feel that I could write a good review of this book without mentioning the wonderful illustrations by L.M. Phang. They allowed me to imagine the inventions at play and gave me an image of the kind, caring inventor. These beautiful pictures reminded me of watercolor paintings and gave Goodland a sense of both familiarity and wonder.

My only complaint about this book is that the author could have incorporated the words with the illustrations more. There are very few pages which contain both words and an illustration, and those were some of my favorite ones. Compared to the pages with pictures on them, the ones that only contained words felt plain and unfinished.

Despite this small complaint, I would still rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. From the great writing to the awesome illustrations, I would recommend this book for any kid needing a confidence boost. Since I only found a couple of errors (on the About the Author page), I feel confident in telling parents that this is a truly professional work. The reading level is appropriate for beginning readers, who might need a little help, and intermediate readers, who could probably tackle this book on their own. I think this would be a great book to read out loud to little kids, as it could open up a conversation about how awesome they are!

I Am Awesome!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

I am definitely awesome. Thanks for a beautiful review. I should read this one.
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

This would help kids learn about self-confidence and since it is straight forward, they would find it easy to understand. Thanks for such a nice review.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

What a wonderful book! This is so important to help kids feel confident about themselves, I'm really happy that such books exist. Thanks for the great review!
Mya4855
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mya4855 »

This book is very good for adults and children there’s a lot of self confidence in this which amazes me a lot 😍😍
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This sounds like a really great book for kids. It's important that we instill confidence in them and that this book can help do that.
Thanks for the review!
Royd mushanga
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Royd mushanga »

It's very awesome indeed. It will really help kids to learn quickly and build confidence in them. WoW!
JoyALB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyalb.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by JoyALB »

This sounds awesome!!! What an amazing message to pass on from a young age. Absolute brilliant. Beautiful review!
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

What a lovely Book.
I love how the author was able to express and pass his tought in a simple manner.
I'm sure it'll be an awesome read for children.
Nice work on the review
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Great review. I wish this book was around when I was a child. It took me a long time to realize I was awesome.
Ladyg5
Favorite Author: Sunny Nicolette
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 14
fav_author_id: 174686

Post by Ladyg5 »

This book sounds amazing to read to my autism grandson. I always tell him he awesome, you see they look at life different then me. I so glad to know their are books that can help kids with their confidence. I would love to read this book with my grandson.
Thanks for the review..
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

Sometimes we all need to be reminded that there is something even better than good. Thanks for an awesome review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Harty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty.html
Latest Review: Big Bunches At The Jam Factory by Keith.paulusse

Post by Harty »

I like the ingenious way the author has chosen to present the subject of self confidence to kids. I especially like how he presents the striking difference between "I am good" and "I am awesome" through the use of a few memorable charachters. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
AnxiousSocks
Currently Reading: Ash
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxioussocks.html
Latest Review: The Miller's Tale by Geoffrey Chaucer (Brian Lamont translator)

Post by AnxiousSocks »

This book looks so sweet and empowering! I would love to read it.
FEislandqueen13
Currently Reading: The 19th Bladesman
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-feislandqueen13.html
Latest Review: Doomsday by R. L. Gemmill

Post by FEislandqueen13 »

I can see how cute the drawings are based on the cover. Too bad the author didn't have illustrations on all pages ; it's the pictures in a children's book that give life to the story. 8) nice review.
Think before you speak. Read before you think.” – Fran Lebowitz
:eusa-think: :eusa-think: :eusa-think:
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” – Dr. Seuss

Return to “Children's Books”