Official Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Official Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rescued" by E. Alan Fleischauer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

JT Thomas was forced to find shelter in a cave due to a sudden downpour. Unknown to him at the time, the cave holds many secrets. Before he has a chance to thoroughly explore it, a wagon is noticed down below him with three women tied up behind it. One of the women trips and falls, and she is beaten by a man with a whip who is following them on foot. There are two other men riding on horseback behind them. The driver of the wagon decides to kill the woman who fell (Dawn) and injures her in the shoulder. At this point, JT shoots the driver and kills him. The man with the whip jerks his gun out but is shot and killed by JT, while the two men on horseback escape. He realizes there is another woman (Jean), not previously seen, riding on the wagon. She snatches the gun that the driver previously possessed and keeps it with her. The women won’t divulge to him anything about how they were captured, which JT thinks is strange.

Because Dawn requires medical attention, they travel to the nearest town and transfer her to the doctor. When alone with the doctor, the story of her capture is finally disclosed. Meanwhile, JT and the other women (Jean, Emily, and Annabelle) go to the boarding house to obtain rooms.

Unknown to JT at the time, Jean and her brother are infamous bank robbers and murderers. JT, along with Annabelle, will soon be trying to track them down.

Rescued: JT Thomas Book 1 by E. Alan Fleischauer is an action-packed Western novel. Although the first in the series, it is a standalone novel. Most but not all of the pertinent questions are answered by the end. The story is narrated in a simple, easy-to-understand style from a third-person point of view. It is loaded with suspense, outlaws, lots of gunfire, and a bit of romance. The fast-moving action represents my favorite part of the story. The novel offers us a taste of what the Old West was like, the hardships, the ruthlessness, and the lawlessness, and it even throws in a little about New York during that time. According to the author, “it is currently a semi-finalist for the Laramie Awards for the best western of 2019.”

However, there are a couple of things that could have been written a little better. Descriptions of people are frequently lacking. For example, out of the four women that JT rescued, the only one with a description is Annabelle. We aren’t told what the others look like. This is my least favorite aspect of the book because I enjoy picturing the characters as I read a story.

Additionally, several errors were discovered that weren’t very distracting but were a few too many to overlook. It could use another round of editing.

Because this action-packed book is very entertaining, it achieves a rating of three out of four stars. One was removed because of the errors and the problem with inadequate descriptions. I think the story is too good for a rating of two stars. Western fans who are fond of suspense, outlaws, and lots of guns would appreciate this book. Historical-fiction fans would likely enjoy it as well. This is a plot-driven story, so those people who prefer character-driven tales might want to look elsewhere.

There are some profanities, mostly mild. Because of that and the violence, this book is unsuitable for children and people sensitive to those issues.

Rescued
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This sounds like a fast paced and fun read! The lack of character description saddens me, but I would still give it a try for the story. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

The book seems action-packed with the outlaws, romance and all. I would like to read it and see how it goes. Nice review
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Letora wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 05:44 This sounds like a fast paced and fun read! The lack of character description saddens me, but I would still give it a try for the story. Thank you for your review!
I hope you enjoy it! Thanks for stopping by!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Miraphery wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 06:02 The book seems action-packed with the outlaws, romance and all. I would like to read it and see how it goes. Nice review
I think you will enjoy it! Thanks for reading my review and commenting!
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

A little bit of action and a little bit of romance sounds pretty interesting...
This book seems great though.
Thanks for the review
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Your summary of this book is amazing.
Good job!
Bet on Me! :idea:
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Dannyphery wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 19:07 A little bit of action and a little bit of romance sounds pretty interesting...
This book seems great though.
Thanks for the review
Thanks, Dannyphery, for stopping by and commenting! :D
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 00:26 Your summary of this book is amazing.
Good job!
Thank you so much, my friend!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I like to be able to picture the characters when I'm reading too.
I'm not a big fan of Westerns, so I'll pass on this book. Great review, though!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 21:32 I like to be able to picture the characters when I'm reading too.
I'm not a big fan of Westerns, so I'll pass on this book. Great review, though!
Thanks so much for the kind words!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I like having solid descriptions of the characters to help me keep track of them and visualize them better. It's unfortunate that those are missing. Otherwise, this book sounds like a grand historical adventure out West!
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Whips and guns, wagons and caves... these are the things violent Western tales are made of! Once those mysterious lady characters are a bit more fleshed out, sounds like it would be on the right trail.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't read too many westerns, so this probably isn't my cup of tea. However, I could see how it would be enjoyable to those that do like it. I did enjoy your review. I appreciate that the descriptions were lacking in the characters. That's tough, as it is nice to be able to picture them all. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 06:56 I like having solid descriptions of the characters to help me keep track of them and visualize them better. It's unfortunate that those are missing. Otherwise, this book sounds like a grand historical adventure out West!
That's how I felt about it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”