Official Review: Sammy's curious adventure

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Official Review: Sammy's curious adventure

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sammy's curious adventure" by Annette Phillip.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sammy’s Curious Adventure by Annette Phillip is a children’s storybook about the dangers of playing with fire. Sammy, a bunny, and his friend Hannah, a squirrel, enjoy going to the park to play. One day at the park, Sammy finds a lighter on the ground. Hannah warns him that her mother said not to play with lighters because they are dangerous, but Sammy is too curious to leave it alone. After Hannah leaves, Sammy struggles with his curiosity over the lighter while remembering Hannah’s warning about its danger. Will Sammy be able to resist the lighter, or will he learn exactly why Hannah’s mom told her not to play with it? Grab a copy of this book to find out!

I enjoyed how Sammy really acted like a real child in this story. He struggles with his curiosity, especially because he isn’t sure why the lighter is dangerous. When he sees the flames, he becomes caught up in their beauty and doesn’t remember Hannah’s warning. Much like a real kid, he doesn’t want to get hurt, but he also enjoys exploring the world around him. Hannah acts like a big sister, helping to guide Sammy, but not being old enough to really exert authority over him. I think this is also a good cautionary tale for parents about letting their kids wander too far from home.

I really don’t have any complaints about this story. I did hope for it to have a little more complexity in the plot, but I liked that the lesson was very clear, and the simple plot probably helped create this clarity. Since the book is for young kids, I think it is alright for the plot to be very straight-forward. I appreciated that the vocabulary used was appropriate for early readers, and I only found one mistake, so the book appeared to be very professional.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. From the relatable characters to the adorable illustrations by Eric Hutchison, this book would be fun for any young kid to read.

I would recommend this book to parents of kids ages four to eight, though beginning readers may need a little help. This would be a great book for parents to read with their curious children, and they could discuss the dangers of lighters and not listening to your parents.

Sammy's curious adventure
View: on Bookshelves
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

Children are very curious especially about things they don't truly understand. It is a good book to read with children as it would help in pointing out important lessons. Thanks for the review.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

I love the story... I'm sure children will love it too.
Nice review
Nan7451
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nan7451 »

Curious things can sometime lead to danger. I think in my opinion the explains everything very well. So that Sammy and Hahana can understand it. I believe children up to second graders would really appreciate this book.
Angels4me

Post by Angels4me »

I like how Sammy's friends are there for him giving him advice. What he chooses to do with it is his choice. We all have to make our own decisions.
Deprise Evans
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Currently Reading: Crazy Love
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deprise-evans.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6456

Post by Deprise Evans »

Children are so curious about so many things, especially things that they don't fully understand or know about yet. This book I think is so important for children. I love the way that the dangers of fire are given in a way that it is easy for the children who read this book to understand. Great review!
Froelich07
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Froelich07 »

This book can appeal to the curious minds of kids.
Nice review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I remember reading a similar book when I was a child, and up to this day, I still remember the warnings it contained. I believe stories like this one are great tools to teach kids in a long-lasting manner. Great review!
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Curiosity has two faces that either lead you to a good experience or a bad one. This book has lots of lessons for both kids and their parents. Great review.
Springreader2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Springreader2020 »

I liked how this review is professional and easy to understand. Fire safety is very important for kids to learn about and its helpful to have a story with characters who they can relate to.
Flamingo28

Post by Flamingo28 »

I like how this book is easy to understand and has appropriate launguage :D My piece of advice is why does Sammy have to be a blue rabbit, why cant he be a white rabbit.

Well.......... i take that back, i guess its more interesting with a blue rabbit instead of a white one.

So great job!
I would give this book 5 stars
Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Anindita Roy »

Thanks a tonne for the amazing review. This adventure book will actually help in shaping the mind of the child. Children would enjoy reading it. They love reading picture books. The language is crisp and easy to understand. I love how this story teaches an important lesson.
kae_mad

Post by kae_mad »

I like how simple the plot of the story is, it is appropriate for a child and gives them the message on how dangerous it can be if we don't listen to advices of other people. Kids will definitely enjoy this book and since Sammy's personality is the same as a real child, young readers can relate to how Sammy is feeling throughout the story.

Thank you very much for such an interesting and honest review!
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

I can relate with Sammy a lot. Childhood is one stage that full of "why" and other things perked up by curiousity. I love the simplicity of the book as stated by the reviewer and I really hope this finds its way into hands of parents with children.
24grajay

Post by 24grajay »

Children are very curious especially about things they don't truly understand. It is a good book to read with children as it would help in pointing out important lessons. Thanks for the review Loved It.

Return to “Children's Books”